Quantcast
HVAC Help: Furnace Issues? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HVAC Help: Furnace Issues?

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Default HVAC Help: Furnace Issues?

Not sure if theres anything wrong with my furnace just yet.

Its a mid-effiencency Lennox furnace. House built in 2000. Furnace duct and furnace checked was just cleaned in Oct 2013.

Woke up this morning, and it was 16C in the house. Thermostat is set on 18-19 all day. Furnace was on, just blowing cold air.

Went down to furnace, switched the main switch to off. And then turned it back on. Turned thermostat to 20C. Went down to check and watched the furnace fire up and flame up and function like normal. So far its working normal from the 20 mins I checked before I went to work.

From searching Beyond, found a couple old threads saying it could be the flame sensor?

Thanks in advance
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    K20A2

im in the same boat i just got my new house this weekend and the main floor blows hot air but the upstairs blows arm cool air so i am freezing upstairs
    Built with Chopsticks

My Ride
    1991 Toyota Soarer

Default Furnace

I have fixed many many furnaces over the years working for builders and on the Mid efficient ones the Flame sensor is typically the main issue , Some time the Relay/Transistor that converts the 24v low voltage from the thermostat to 110V and call for heat dies but when that happens the furnace stops working completely. you Can clean the flame sensor and it may work for 5 year but I recommend that your pick up a spare so when its -35 and it happens again your not trying to track one down.

I Have a fancy sales trailer in Cochrane where my current project is and I replaced the flames sensor (30 bucks and the Relay and it was 25 bucks), Most places carry them you just need your make and model, Take a photo of your serial number and that way they have all the info they would need, sometimes it saves a trip lol

Ryan

My Ride
    1991 Toyota Soarer

Originally posted by 95EG6P
    im in the same boat i just got my new house this weekend and the main floor blows hot air but the upstairs blows arm cool air so i am freezing upstairs
    Check on your main plenum and see if your furnace is set up for a zone system, If it is make sure both zones are open, I've seen people spend thousands on insulation and repairs and in the end it was just the zone was shut off, Typically its just a little lever

My Ride
    K20A2

Originally posted by gyromonkey

Check on your main plenum and see if your furnace is set up for a zone system, If it is make sure both zones are open, I've seen people spend thousands on insulation and repairs and in the end it was just the zone was shut off, Typically its just a little lever
    may be a stupid question but where is the main plenum it is my first place so i am fairly new to everything
    Built with Chopsticks

My Ride
    K20A2

also how can i tell if i am set up for a zone system thanks for all the info i appreciate it
    Built with Chopsticks

My Ride
    1991 Toyota Soarer

may be a stupid question but where is the main plenum it is my first place so i am fairly new to everything
    The main plenum is attached to the furnace its the large rectangle metal box, the bottom will be attached to the furnace and the furnace filter will be between the two. at the top of the plenum it will branch off into heat runs, some of the runs will be for the basement, some for the main floor and some for the upper, if you follow the runs you will be able to see which ones are for what floors unless your basement is developed, In that case you may just have to feel them. On the runs that do go upstairs look for leavers and see if they are closed, Depending on when and what heating company did your install theirs leavers or thier could be a white box with low voltage run to it and it would be electrically controlled, newer houses over 2399 sqft have a zone system or 2 furnaces . If that does not work you may have to balance the rest of the house and by doing that it forces the air upstairs.

Hopefully that helps, If your still having issues shoot me a PM and we can work it out over the phone
    Last edited by gyromonkey; 12-30-2013 at 11:38 AM.

My Ride

Would there be blinking lights on the furnace somewhere that would indicate what the issue would be?
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    K20A2

The main plenum is attached to the furnace its the large rectangle metal box, the bottom will be attached to the furnace and the furnace filter will be between the two. at the top of the plenum it will branch off into heat runs, some of the runs will be for the basement, some for the main floor and some for the upper, if you follow the runs you will be able to see which ones are for what floors unless your basement is developed, In that case you may just have to feel them. On the runs that do go upstairs look for leavers and see if they are closed, Depending on when and what heating company did your install theirs leavers or thier could be a white box with low voltage run to it and it would be electrically controlled, newer houses over 2399 sqft have a zone system or 2 furnaces . If that does not work you may have to balance the rest of the house and by doing that it forces the air upstairs.

ok thanks i will try all this stuff when i am done from work thanks again i apprciate it

Hopefully that helps, If your still having issues shoot me a PM and we can work it out over the phone
    Built with Chopsticks

My Ride
    K20A2

^^ i will try all those things when i am done work thanks again
    Built with Chopsticks

also see if your air intake is blocked outside

My Ride
    1991 Toyota Soarer

Originally posted by dj_rice
    Would there be blinking lights on the furnace somewhere that would indicate what the issue would be?
    It depends on the make and model, Typically theirs a green and red LED that will display codes, the legend should be on the removable door on the inside or out side.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Sometimes opening the door resets the blink codes so look through the window before opening the door to get a better view of the circuit board. On my furnace there is the outer cover which you remove to see the igniter and flames and such, then an inner cover to access the main board. The inner cover has a window on it, but the LED is a good 6" away from the window and you have to jam your face on the basement floor to see the LED, but there is a switch on the inner door and as soon as you open it the power is cut and the blink codes are reset.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride

Originally posted by Zero102
    Sometimes opening the door resets the blink codes so look through the window before opening the door to get a better view of the circuit board. On my furnace there is the outer cover which you remove to see the igniter and flames and such, then an inner cover to access the main board. The inner cover has a window on it, but the LED is a good 6" away from the window and you have to jam your face on the basement floor to see the LED, but there is a switch on the inner door and as soon as you open it the power is cut and the blink codes are reset.

Awesome!!! Thanks for the tips and thanks gyromnkey. Much appreciated!

My Ride
    1991 Toyota Soarer

Originally posted by dj_rice

Awesome!!! Thanks for the tips and thanks gyromnkey. Much appreciated!

No prob man, Let me know if you run into anything else

My Ride

No prob man, Let me know if you run into anything else

Just checked the furnace for the diagnostic lights. Both were flashing and from the Youtube video I watched, it said it is a failure with the ignition and that the furnace went into lockout mode and to reset it, just turn off the power, which I did in the morning.

Its functioning normal now so I will keep watching. Will attempt to clean the flame sensor tomorrow and buy a spare as well.

My Ride
    K20A2

Default Re: Furnace

I have fixed many many furnaces over the years working for builders and on the Mid efficient ones the Flame sensor is typically the main issue , Some time the Relay/Transistor that converts the 24v low voltage from the thermostat to 110V and call for heat dies but when that happens the furnace stops working completely. you Can clean the flame sensor and it may work for 5 year but I recommend that your pick up a spare so when its -35 and it happens again your not trying to track one down.

I Have a fancy sales trailer in Cochrane where my current project is and I replaced the flames sensor (30 bucks and the Relay and it was 25 bucks), Most places carry them you just need your make and model, Take a photo of your serial number and that way they have all the info they would need, sometimes it saves a trip lol

Ryan
    hi i just called my builder supervisor and they said the reason my bedroom is cold is cause the furnace is the furthest from the room and said it will take longer to heat up as the other rooms and downstairs will heat fast then my master, also said to turn off some vents in the basment and some in the other rooms so the heat will reach my master faster. Is he feeding me BS or is that normal thanks for all the imput and i dont think my furnace has any flames that i can see
    Built with Chopsticks

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

my furnace crapped out on me last night again :-/ same problem with no flame and alternating lights. Tried cleaning the sensor with a steel wool and on luck so I'm going to see if I can buy a new flame sensor locally and swap that... if not then it's time to call someone to come check it out.

My Ride
    1991 Toyota Soarer

Default Re: Re: Furnace

hi i just called my builder supervisor and they said the reason my bedroom is cold is cause the furnace is the furthest from the room and said it will take longer to heat up as the other rooms and downstairs will heat fast then my master, also said to turn off some vents in the basment and some in the other rooms so the heat will reach my master faster. Is he feeding me BS or is that normal thanks for all the imput and i dont think my furnace has any flames that i can see
    is your master above the Garage? if so do you know if they spray foamed the floor?

What hes has told you to do is balance the house, It's pretty typical sadly the longer the run the less heat you get. Its sort of like plumbing the farther the fixture is away from the main the longer it takes for get hot water and has less pressure. theirs ways to fix this like a dual zone system, I'm assuming if your builder is telling you to balance the house theirs no dual zone, so like he said try closing some of the registers on the main floor, the closer to the furnace the better, If your not noticing any change you can get tin tape and tape the basement heat runs that way you loose less heat down in the basement, Its not code to tape joints in residential HVAC but some builders do like mine did. I would not close your all your basement ones, maybe one or two their should be 4 down there so close one or two and see if that helps worst case you can use insulation in the runs to block the heat and force it to the second floor.

Just don't let anything freeze!!

My Ride
    something green

Originally posted by RX_EVOLV
    my furnace crapped out on me last night again :-/ same problem with no flame and alternating lights. Tried cleaning the sensor with a steel wool and on luck so I'm going to see if I can buy a new flame sensor locally and swap that... if not then it's time to call someone to come check it out.
    Do you have a volt meter that measures micro amps?
    Too loud for Aspen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast