Quantcast
Bell pays $21k in Compensation to a Nova Scotia Man - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Bell pays $21k in Compensation to a Nova Scotia Man

Post Bell pays $21k in Compensation to a Nova Scotia Man

Crazy stuff.. But I do recall Telus saying they do credit checks for cellphone applications. How damaging are these checks anyway??

CBC News Story

'Bell is not above the law,' says man awarded $21K for privacy breach.

Rabi Chitrakar of Nova Scotia says he had to chase down communications giant for the money

CBC News Posted: Jan 09, 2014 7:50 AM AT Last Updated: Jan 09, 2014 8:35 AM AT

Bell TV 'reprehensible' for violating man's privacy
    Bell TV says damaging credit checks are 'standard procedure'

Rabi Chitrakar took Bell to court after he discovered the company did a credit check without his consent. (CBC)

A Nova Scotia man says he had to hound Bell TV for the $21,000 owed to him after the communications giant accessed his credit report without permission.

Rabi Chitrakar, who lives in Beechville, said the cheque was finally couriered to him before Christmas.

"It's sort of a vindication, a validation that I was always on the right path from the very beginning," he said.

Chitrakar ordered satellite television in December 2010, but later found out Bell performed a credit check without his consent, potentially damaging his credit rating.

How and why you should check your credit report
    Chitrakar said he wanted an apology and the credit inquiry wiped from his record. Instead, he said, he got the runaround. So he took his case, without a lawyer, to court.

Last fall, a Federal Court judge called Bell's conduct “reprehensible” and ordered the company to pay thousands of dollars in damages. Justice Michael Phelan said the company broke the law and breached Chitrakar's privacy.

The company told CBC that credit checks on customers are “standard procedure."

Getting award took 'a lot of work'

After the settlement, Chitrakar said he had to chase Bell to get the money.

He said there were faxes and phone calls, even an email to the president of Bell.

tp-bell-306-4901148
    The court used harsh language to describe Bell’s conduct, saying the matter was “reprehensible” and chided the company for not even showing up to the court hearing.

Chitrakar said he advised the company he was looking into enforcing the court order, including the possibility of
    contempt of court and a seizure of assets.

"A lot of work … hundreds of minutes on the phone again," he said. "I can't believe the arrogance of the company."

He said the day after he sent the president the email, a senior lawyer at Bell advised him a cheque was on the way.

"It feels nice. It's not just about the money. It's finally something that a big corporation like Bell is not above the law."

Chitrakar said his next step is trying to undo the damage.

He said he'll be sending the credit bureau a photocopy of the cheque, in the hopes it will remove the credit inquiry from his record.

As for the money, he’s thinking about putting that towards law school.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Where do I get my cut? From the Credit Score thread:

Originally posted by rage2
    Just checked mine, and it's terrible!

Credit score of 700. No mortgages on file, so I know that's going to be a hit right off the bat. The other ones are interesting.
    Below are the aspects of your credit profile and history that are important to your Equifax credit score. They are listed in order of impact to your score - the first has the largest impact, and the last has the least.

- Number of telco inquiries in the last 12 months.
    - Total monthly payments.
    - Number of open bank revolving trades.
    Wonder who's been checking my credit in the last 12 months, doesn't really say. Total monthly payments is high thanks to my low interest car loans (even though they come out of savings that covers the loans), but somehow my last 4 cars are on file and shown as active. Both Toyota and MB fucked up and shows a balance even tho it's up to date. Weird. And I guess # of credit cards is bad too even tho you pay it off. Also weird, my corporate cell phone is on there too. So I guess if our finance department slacks it could affect my credit?

Interesting stuff haha.
    Found the details page (had to print to get the details) and yea, this credit score stuff is pointless. The report says the # of hard and soft hits is the primary reason for low score.

The Bell account isn't my corp phone, it's my pay as you go iPad data plan, and there must be a bug in the Bell system because it's been doing a hard credit inqury every time it renews monthly on my credit card. How or why it's tied to my credit file, I have no clue.

My bank where I have my savings and checking accounts also did a hard and a soft inqury, again why? I dunno, I have no credit cards or mortgages through them.

Futureshop did 2 soft inquries in the last year, again why? No clue. No credit cards or payment plan stuff with them, nor have I applied for any.

Feels like I have no control over these hits, and apparently it's the top reason why my score is low.
    Bell is STILL doing monthly checks on my credit everytime it autorenews lol.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

looks like its time to sue!

^ Try emailing CBC or Go Public or whatever its called.... Last time I emailed CTV's equivalent about 7 years ago, they were very courteous and helpful.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Hmm.. I'm going to check mine. I used to be a Bell customer, and I could use some extra cash.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by avishal26
    ^ Try emailing CBC or Go Public or whatever its called.... Last time I emailed CTV's equivalent about 7 years ago, they were very courteous and helpful.
    Hmm, call CTV to report Bell problems. Love to see how that goes.

I'm surprised no lawyers are starting class action already.

Originally posted by Xtrema

Hmm, call CTV to report Bell problems. Love to see how that goes.

I'm surprised no lawyers are starting class action already.
    Lol I said call 'CBC'

Where do I get my cut? From the Credit Score thread:

Bell is STILL doing monthly checks on my credit everytime it autorenews lol.
    Maybe someone stole your identity? Absolutely no reason for FS to be doing hard checks...

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

I don't see how this is worth $21,000 to the guy in the story?
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    M3P

They probably lowballed an amount that he suddenly jumped to because he didn't have informed legal council to tell him to fight for more.

My Ride
    Has AWD

privacy? we gave that up when we accepted the internet and then again with smart phones.

Originally posted by MGCM
    privacy? we gave that up when freely posting your entire personal life on the internet became a thing.
    Fixed. It isn't hard to maintain privacy on the internet.

My Ride
    Nothing

No noez, Bell did a credit check, the horror. The court should have told that guy to stop being such a whining nancy boy.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info