Quantcast
Banerjee: $drop triggered by a number of factors including a "deteriorating" CDN Econ - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Banerjee: $drop triggered by a number of factors including a "deteriorating" CDN Econ

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Default Banerjee: $drop triggered by a number of factors including a "deteriorating" CDN Econ

Banerjee: $drop triggered by a number of factors including a "deteriorating" CDN Econ

Some Canadian retailers are warning consumers they can soon expect to pay a lot more for everyday items as the sliding loonie may head lower.
    The Canadian dollar on Thursday hit 89.35 cents US, the first time it has dipped below the 90-cent US mark since mid-2009.
    "For the end of 2014, I think 90 cents US may be the new normal," personal finance expert Preet Banerjee told CTV News Channel this week.
    RELATED STORIES
    Talking down the Canadian dollar ignores long-term costs, critics warn
    Canadian dollar drops half a cent after Bank of Canada rate decision
    'Currency surcharge': Why tour operators are charging travellers more
    PHOTOS
    Canadian loonie
    The sliding loonie may hurt Canadian consumers. (Jonathan Hayward / THE CANADIAN PRESS)
    Loonie may mean higher produce costs
    Ponesse Foods owner Mario Aricci says he's already noticed prices going up at St. Lawrence Market in Toronto.
    The impact of the latest drop, triggered by a number of factors including a "deteriorating" Canadian economic outlook, according to Banerjee, may soon hit consumers.
    In downtown Toronto, Ponesse Foods owner Mario Aricci, who has been working at the St. Lawrence Market since 1969, says prices for items such as oranges and grapes are higher than they've been in years.
    "You know, we're getting it from the weather and the Canadian dollar," Aricci, who orders most of his produce from the U.S., told CTV News.
    He says the fluctuating dollar combined with the recent cold snaps in places such as Florida have jacked prices up. Items such as strawberries are costing approximately 30 per cent more, Aricci estimated. Overall, the produce vendor said it's costing him an additional 10 per cent on the exchange, compared to last January when the Canadian dollar was at par.
    Nearby Aricci's produce stand, butcher Pat Gasparro of Brown Brothers Meats, agreed that the weakening dollar may soon impact consumers. He said if the loonie continues to tumble, Canadian meat will become more attractive to foreign buyers, meaning consumers at home will have to pay more.
    "What's going to happen is as the prices go lower, people from the States, from Hong Kong, they buy our pork, they buy our beef, and that's going to drive the prices up a little bit more," Gasparro told CTV News.
    Until now, many retailers say they've been reluctant to pass on the cost of the sliding loonie to consumers, but that may change soon.
    Richard Bowden, director of sales at Bay Bloor Radio, said although prices for last year's electronics haven't changed much, he expects that will not be case for the latest models.
    "There will be changes in pricing as the new models come out and obviously those will be reflecting the new Canadian dollar," Bowden told CTV News.
    And for those looking to escape the bone-chilling temperatures in Canada, the cost of the tumbling loonie has already increased the cost of travel.
    On Thursday, Canada's largest tour operator, Transat A.T., confirmed that it is adding a $35 "currency surcharge" to offset the sharp decline of the loonie. The tour operator joined Air Canada Vacations and Sunwing, companies that will be implementing the "currency surcharge" effective Jan. 27 and Jan. 30
    "That makes out to about $70 a couple or $140 for a family," said Brad Miron, vice-president of marketing and business development for Travel Brands Inc, which manages Red Tag Vacations.

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/slidi...#ixzz2rX9yVbgs

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/slidi...mers-1.1656223

Well I know I'll be governing myself accordingly.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

I always love how prices take forever to fall when our dollar rises yet jump almost immediately when it's in the other direction. Same as gas prices.

Exactly. Fuken scammers.

My Ride
    1290SDR, 701SM

Originally posted by pheoxs
    I always love how prices take forever to fall when our dollar rises yet jump almost immediately when it's in the other direction. Same as gas prices.
    The reason why they don't change prices? They say it's "transportation" or some shit.

My Ride
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala

Well for a lot of us retailers, we have to pay US dollars to some suppliers. We just saw 10% evaporate in the last few months. Think about it
    1968 Impala: Status: Stored
    1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Sold
    1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Sold
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Cruising
    2000 Bluebird TC2000: Build phase of skoolie project
    2018 Rav4 XLE: New baby friendly daily

My Ride
    Nothing

Originally posted by cycosis
    Well for a lot of us retailers, we have to pay US dollars to some suppliers. We just saw 10% evaporate in the last few months. Think about it
    Not my problem, lower your prices
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Lower prices not happening.

The US might be raising the minimum wage from $7.25 to $10.10 (and not $15 like people are whining for)

So that means either A) they are going to have to replace more people with machines or B) Prices have to rise to meet the extra dollars floating around.

California drought does mean more expensive lettuce, tomatoes, strawberries, etc.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    G6

What's driving our dollar down?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Feruk
    What's driving our dollar down?
    Our new dude @ BoC said lower $cdn is awesome.

And job data sucked in Dec.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 01-27-2014 at 10:07 AM.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

This is not the Banerjee I was hoping for.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    2013 Scion FR-S

Originally posted by Masked Bandit
    This is not the Banerjee I was hoping for.
    Looks like I'm not the only victim of the jedi mind tricks.