Quantcast
McLaren announces new supercar - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: McLaren announces new supercar

My Ride
    383 Camaro LT1

Default McLaren announces new supercar

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/m...del-2014-02-12

McLaren has announced a new model. It's called the 650S and it'll slot into the model range between the 12C and the P1. So no, this isn't the P13 ‘baby' McLaren that we've been waiting for, but unfortunately that is pretty much all we do know until closer to this car's global reveal at the Geneva Motorshow on the 4th March.

However, because frankly one small image and a name isn't anything like enough, we're going to try a bit of supposition. It's likely to be based on the 12C, but probably an uprated version of it, with - and this is surely a no-brainer - 650bhp from the same twin turbocharged 3.8-litre V8. Expect torque to climb a similar amount and, provided weight hasn't changed a significantly, acceleration figures to fall a fraction. Think three seconds flat to 60mph and six seconds flat to 100mph. Top speed? Well, it'll probably go up a little. You'd be safe to assume it'll probably go round corners faster and lop a couple of seconds off it's Nurburgring lap time. Not that McLaren will ever share that information with us.

The positioning is more interesting. This is pretty much guaranteed to be a more expensive model - you don't give a car more power and charge less for it, so we'd anticipate it being a more driver-orientated version of the 12C - that badge is pictured on a carbon panel for a reason. So the obvious explanation here is that this is McLaren's take on Ferrari's 458 Speciale. The other, more cynical explanation, might hold that Lamborghini is pulling the wraps off it's new Huracan at the same time and this is a McLaren spoiler.

Let's hope it's the former. Because if, as McLaren's statement hints, it does indeed take learnings from the P1, we'd predict that it might have some P1-style aero treatment. And that would hint that McLaren has gone further with it than just taking some weight out, and giving it more power and stickier tyres. So there we are - that's all we know, plus a lot we're guessing at. Share your thoughts and ideas below.
    93 Camaro Z28 (The fast one)
    01 Trans Am WS6 (The cute one)
    Esla T6 Dog Sled (Not cute, not fast, scary as hell)

My Ride
    G37X

^I'm excited to see more. I'm a big fan
    of McLaren as far as exotics go.

My Ride
    Has AWD

i was reading about this one earlier, big news from them forsure, heres to hoping a few make it to Calgary

My Ride
    It's wind powered

Holy shit that's so sick! It's gonna be the poor man's p1
    Happiness starts at 3000 rpm.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Was discussing last night how fucked up inconsistent McLaren's naming scheme is.

MP4-12C - 'MP4' has been the chassis designation for all McLaren Formula 1 cars since 1981. The '12' refers to McLaren's internal Vehicle Performance Index through which it rates key performance criteria both for competitors and for its own cars. The criteria combine power, weight, emissions, and aerodynamic efficiency. The coalition of all these values delivers an overall performance index that has been used as a benchmark throughout the car's development. The 'C' refers to Carbon, highlighting the application of carbon fibre technology to the future range of McLaren sports cars.

OK, that's great. So you'd think the P1 would be called the MP4-999C or some shit. Nope.

P1 - The McLaren P1™ name is also inspired by Formula 1. P1 refers to 'first place' or 'position one' - particularly fitting as McLaren has 182 Grand Prix victories and 155 pole positions to-date, in its 47-year Formula 1 history. There is also heritage in that name: the McLaren F1 was initially known internally within McLaren as Project 1, or P1.

Right. I still gave McLaren the benefit of the doubt, until they came up with the 650S. WTF??? haha
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

You seriously tried to put logic into car naming schemes?

I don't think there is one company out there that has come up with a scheme and stuck to it.

Looking forward to this car which is another one I will likely not be able to afford. haha

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I'm waiting for McLaren to put out their entry level car. They were supposed to do that right after the 12C, but looks like the P1 and 650S got the priority.

A 911 competitor under $200k, I'll be seriously interested.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Has AWD

gawd i love leaked pics, we need high res pics now

http://m.autoblog.com/2014/02/16/mcl..._river_article

My Ride
    Bicycle

So they are charging more for a 12C with a P1 nose?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Xtrema
    So they are charging more for a 12C with a P1 nose?
    And more power. You can say that the P1 really is a heavily upgraded 12C, they share the same tub and engine.