Quantcast
Write off after 2nd claim? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Write off after 2nd claim?

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Default Write off after 2nd claim?

Hey all,

Just wanted to see if there is any way to successfully dispute a write off or if there's any considerations that need to be made.

Couple months back our car got rear ended and we got a repair quoted for $4300 which insurance approved.

Before we could get the repairs underway, the car was involved in a second accident (also not at fault) and we made a second claim.

Now, the insurance company is deciding to write off the vehicle. We don't know what they are going to assess the vehicle at, but it's a 2002 Honda Odyssey with about 243k's on it.

Is it acceptable for insurance companies to do this? Did we screw ourselves by putting in that 2nd claim (as in, we should have finished the first claim and then filed the second one)?

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Do you blame them? Blackbook value is about $4k on it. Does it make sense to you spend more than that fixing it? If the second claim is worth $4k, then you're spending twice as much as it's worth fixing it.... *shrug*

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

You didn't screw yourself. Unless you're getting paid out for these claims, and at $4300 I imagine you were instead telling them to fix it. So what... if they were to fix it and then you got in another accident, then how does that screw you up in any way? Then they just repair it again. (Or, write it off then)

I'm actually surprised they didn't write off the car from the beginning. An old Odyssey isn't worth a lot. But now that there is extra damage, I'm not surprised at all they are writing it off.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

why would you want it to NOT be written off?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

There isn't really anything here to dispute. The cost to repair the van is greater than 75% of the vehicle's current value so it's going to be written off and you'll be paid for it based on the current market value.

To add to that, why on earth would you WANT to keep a 12 year old vehicle that's been hit twice? Take the money and buy something else.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    Blue boy

Originally posted by Masked Bandit
    There isn't really anything here to dispute. The cost to repair the van is greater than 75% of the vehicle's current value so it's going to be written off and you'll be paid for it based on the current market value.

To add to that, why on earth would you WANT to keep a 12 year old vehicle that's been hit twice? Take the money and buy something else.
    What he said plus who knows when the tranny will go on that thing.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

I think the more funny question is... who has collision on a vehicle that is worth less than $10k?

You've probably spent a ton more money than you will ever see back by doing that. Unless it was invaluable (and this isn't), why would someone do that?

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Do they pay you a value based on the condition before the first accident or will they pull a quick one and pay you a value based on a damaged vehicle? Or that plus the repair quote of $4300?

My Ride

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    I think the more funny question is... who has collision on a vehicle that is worth less than $10k?

LOTS of people. Once you hit the right triggers the difference between PLPD & full coverage can only be a couple of hundred dollars a year. Even if the vehicle is only worth $5,000 that still puts you a long ways ahead.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    why would you want it to NOT be written off?
    Because you don't have the money or cant get credit for a new ride?

Originally posted by Xtrema

Because you don't have the money or cant get credit for a new ride?
    But they give you money for it to get another one of similar value....

I would want it to be written off too!

My Ride
    2GR-FE Hethel, 14W246, 13W251, 06NC, 02Aerio

Do your research for the value of the van / take the money and get some thing else.
    No point of wanting it to be repaired with 2 accidents for a 12 year old vehicle.
    Insurance Pro

Originally posted by JustinMCS

But they give you money for it to get another one of similar value....

I would want it to be written off too!
    The market for older vehicles is risky IMO. You're taking a lot of risk buying something high mileage. You don't know the vehicle could have looming tranny issues. So it's the devil you know versus the devil you don't know.

My Ride

Well look at this way, at least the OP had the vehicle insured and will get SOMETHING for the van. If he had no collision coverage he could be out the vehicle AND have nothing to put towards a new car.

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

You've probably spent a ton more money than you will ever see back by doing that. Unless it was invaluable (and this isn't), why would someone do that?
    I've got collision on my 2000 Odyssey.. The cost of collision coverage is actually quite small so in the end it's worth it IMO. Personally I'd REALLY hate for someone to hit my van and have it written off. We've had it since new, and it's been stupidly reliable after 14 years and 240k KMs. For the life of the car, we've replaced the 2 door motors and the rear shocks and that's it aside from regular maintenance. Plus the kids can track mud/spill food/do whatever they want and I don't feel bad. Plus it's way more fuel efficient than even a new Odyssey. It's insane to think my car is only worth about $2-$3k on the market. So I can understand why OP wouldn't want it written off.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

Originally posted by Masked Bandit
    Well look at this way, at least the OP had the vehicle insured and will get SOMETHING for the van. If he had no collision coverage he could be out the vehicle AND have nothing to put towards a new car.
    How does that work because both accidents are not at fault - so why is his insurance paying him out?

Wouldn't the other insurance companies (the two accidents that caused the write off) have to pay him out to write off the vehicle?

Like if he had just liability, he wouldn't be out of car, would he?

You can generally still take a reduced payout and keep the vehicle and not repair it (Assuming it's still drivable...). The insurance company will have a salvage title placed on it and it will be ineligable for further coverage beyond liability.

Been a long time though, not sure if that's still possible but you could ask them if you would rather not part with it, and just drive it till the wheels fall off.

You can generally still take a reduced payout and keep the vehicle and not repair it (Assuming it's still drivable...). The insurance company will have a salvage title placed on it and it will be ineligable for further coverage beyond liability.

Been a long time though, not sure if that's still possible but you could ask them if you would rather not part with it, and just drive it till the wheels fall off.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Originally posted by Prail

If they salvage it then you have to repair it and re-inspect it before putting it back on the road. They usually don't salvage title it when you take a reduced pay out.

My Ride

Originally posted by JustinMCS

How does that work because both accidents are not at fault - so why is his insurance paying him out?

Wouldn't the other insurance companies (the two accidents that caused the write off) have to pay him out to write off the vehicle?

Like if he had just liability, he wouldn't be out of car, would he?
    If you have full coverage then generally speaking YOUR company will pay you out and then back charge (subrogate against) the other company. Your own company is going to be a little more generous with the amounts knowing that they just get to send the bill to the other company. If you are being paid directly by the other company it can be quite a fight to get a fair settlement. They don't care if you're pissed off at them because you aren't their customer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast