Quantcast
Bigger title vs Bigger salary - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bigger title vs Bigger salary

Default Bigger title vs Bigger salary

If faced with a choice between a role with a bigger title or bigger salary, which would you choose? why?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

wtf does that even mean? i could call myself anything i wish... but if i dont see the coin from it, who cares?

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Bigger Role.

Potential of more responsibility taken on, AND successfully dealt with will lead to an even higher title/role later on.

Can't get to VP without being a manager first.

Increase in Salary is only temporary.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Default Re: Bigger title vs Bigger salary

Originally posted by prodigydud
    If faced with a choice between a role with a bigger title or bigger salary, which would you choose? why?
    More money any day of the week. Bigger title usually comes with more responsibility as well without any payoff.

Originally posted by Darkane
    Bigger Role.

Potential of more responsibility taken on, AND successfully dealt with will lead to an even higher title/role later on.

Exactly this.

I'm personally not someone who cares about title but when it comes time to hire for a more senior role, a lot of people/places want to see a specific title on your resume.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Which ever one suggests I have a 13" shlong.
    Ultracrepidarian

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-31-2019 at 11:37 AM.

Default Re: Re: Bigger title vs Bigger salary

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

More money any day of the week. Bigger title usually comes with more responsibility as well without any payoff.
    I used to think like that, but nowadays, I'm leaning towards to a bigger title => pays off in the long term.

Having said that, how much of a salary differential would be needed to go for the instant cash grab?

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

Bigger role, yes. bigger title? nope don't give a shit what my title is or what letters i have in front of my name. More pay is always nice though.

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

If the title is career-advancing and comes with additional responsibilities/opportunities to develop your skill-set, then do it. Otherwise, mo' money mo'fugga.

Titles mean nothing. Different companies use different titles and they don't always travel nicely.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Originally posted by msommers
    Which ever one suggests I have a 13" shlong.
    Is it frowned upon to literally state it on the business card?

I dunno, I think they both have to match at some point. Give me more money to take on more tasks.

Take the job that you actually enjoy doing.

That said, I am paid more money than my boss.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    This country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the woman. That's why you gotta make your own moves.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by Darkane
    Bigger Role.

I think we are looking at it from different viewpoints as one who HAS money versus (relatively speaking) one who does not.

I'm viewing it a bit like I view education; if you go for an eng degree (title), there is no inherent money in it for the first four years (in fact, you'll spend $20k per year after rent and tuition). So lets say that an eng degree (title) costs you $60k per year ($10k tuition and $50k per year lost income). That's $240k lost earning potential.

Same thing with raise vs position. You better be able to substantially increase your paygrade EVENTUALLY for traveling sideways money-wise for a better title/more responsibilities. Otherwise, it's just lost potential income.

And finally, if you are only offered ONE and not the other option, you don't really have a choice (besides quit).

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by sputnik
    Take the job that you actually enjoy doing.

That said, I am paid more money than my boss.
    Usually when you enjoy it, you are good at it and money will follow.

I am also paid more than my boss or my boss's boss. But they have higher income potential later when/if they progress into *P or C* roles where I'm probably peaked on income potential other than going back to contracting.

Titles like Account Manager or Client Manager are meaningless. Anyone giving blow jobs can have those titles.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 02-28-2014 at 02:44 PM.

My Ride
    Exploded.

In your case, does the bigger title entail more power?

Titles mean jack shit unless it has power to back it up. Money comes with it haha.

Originally posted by Xtrema

Usually when you enjoy it, you are good at it and money will follow.

I am also paid more than my boss or my boss's boss. But they have higher income potential later when/if they progress into *P roles where I'm probably peaked on income potential other than going back to contracting.

Titles like Account Manager or Client Manager are meaningless. Anyone giving blow jobs can have those titles.
    I would rather stay technical and then consult later on than try and grind out an existence in a middle-management role and lose my technical abilities.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Depends on your position in life. If you need the money now (paying down student loans / buying a house / etc) I would be more inclined to take the better pay. If you are sufficient in your life style I would take the title and seek better pay down the road.

Then again, are we talking about two different employers? I can't see getting promoted and not getting additional pay.

I'm assuming you are talking about taking a new job at a different company that has a better title/more responsibility but a little less pay. If so, nope stay where you're at and bank coin.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I've had a "promotion" that gave me zero extra pay. Took it because it came with an expanded role, more responsibility, and it helped me move my career the way I want it to go. Took 18 months for the raise to show up. I'm still happy with my decision.

Making more money is important, don't get me wrong, but I think you need to look at your career progression. If you are moving forward, and getting the roles you want, the money comes eventually. Searching too hard for the money early in your career is a fools game.

And on the topic of making more than your boss. I had a guy working for me that made 40% more than me. No big deal. Each of us was on a different part of the career curve, and we were paid about right at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast