Quantcast
WTB: Honda s2000 discussion (split) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: WTB: Honda s2000 discussion (split)

My Ride
    AP1

What's wrong with black?

Skip the 00-01 and go 02-03 if you want AP1. A lot of upgrades:

Glass window - self explanatory

ECU - the ECU on the 02-03 is so much better, 00-01 is ridiculously rich, it'll feel dead slow to 6000 and you'll go through more fuel. $200 for a used ECU and a few hundred for honda to reprogram the VIN to match your car. Huge change when i did that to my car, made daily driving a lot better.

banjo bolts (piston squirters) were upgraded to a 4 hole design. They don't provide adequate piston cooling on 00-01 and lead to scored bores (look it up on s2ki). Took me 12 hours to change mine and you have to drop the pan and get the oil pickup out of the way to get a torque wrench on #4.

And there's a lot more than that...

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Originally posted by dimi
    Skip the 00-01 and go 02-03 if you want AP1. A lot of upgrades:

Glass window - self explanatory

ECU - the ECU on the 02-03 is so much better, 00-01 is ridiculously rich, it'll feel dead slow to 6000 and you'll go through more fuel. $200 for a used ECU and a few hundred for honda to reprogram the VIN to match your car. Huge change when i did that to my car, made daily driving a lot better.

banjo bolts (piston squirters) were upgraded to a 4 hole design. They don't provide adequate piston cooling on 00-01 and lead to scored bores (look it up on s2ki). Took me 12 hours to change mine and you have to drop the pan and get the oil pickup out of the way to get a torque wrench on #4.

And there's a lot more than that...
    Good info

I knew about the back glass, but the piston squirters are a big deal, especially with the piston speed at 9000rpm.

I'm going to try and find stock '00-01 vs '02-03 dynos and look at the area under the curve.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

2003 is the sweet spot for the S2K, though I like the 2004 for aesthetic reasons

My Ride
    Nissan Z33

Both are good in there own ways. It's either you want 2.0L (9000rpm) or 2.2L (8000rpm). But yeah I like both :P

My Ride
    AP1

Originally posted by Kouki_TypeX
    Both are good in there own ways. It's either you want 2.0L (9000rpm) or 2.2L (8000rpm). But yeah I like both :P
    I agree! Both are good in their own ways. I have an ap1... so one of the things I worry about is the retainers cracking and dropping a valve . Don't really want to upgrade to the ap2 retainers...

Ap2 - don't have to worry about the retainers cracking and dropping a valve. But then you miss out on the 9k rpms. But at the same time... the f22c apparently has more low end torque making it a better DD in the city.

My Ride
    Whip.

The difference is actually 8200rpm vs 8900rpm. And with a quicker final drive, the AP2 is actually more rev happy and creates more torque multiplication than the AP1.

Only a ricer would sacrifice superior drivability and performance for a small and pointless number like 700rpm.
    THE IMPORTANT THINGS IN LIFE:
    N/A, 8000RPM REDLINE, CLOSE RATIO MANUAL, RWD, LSD

AE86, S2000, E46M3

Scratch that...fat, boost, AWD, DSG

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

The AP1 has more snap-oversteer happy suspension, too. That, and the 9000 rpm redline were what swayed me to the AP1.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I've heard (take this with a grain of salt) the AP-1 is prone to rear subframe tear with sticky tires (R comps) if you plan to auto x, and throw R comps on might want to have that strengthened first.