Quantcast
2014 Golf Thread - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Golf Thread

My Ride
    Lariat

Originally posted by SOAB
    last year was my first year of playing golf and I was able to break 100. all it takes is practice as well as an understanding of what you are doing wrong and why.

I played about 2 rounds a month but hit the range almost 3 times a week.
    Another good tip to break 100, work on your putting!!!!!

You can go to a lot of courses or ranges and putt around on the practice greens for free. If you go from averaging 3 puts per hole to averaging 2 puts per hole, you can look at dropping 18 strokes off your game!
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    2005 F350

Originally posted by asp integra

Another good tip to break 100, work on your putting!!!!!

You can go to a lot of courses or ranges and putt around on the practice greens for free. If you go from averaging 3 puts per hole to averaging 2 puts per hole, you can look at dropping 18 strokes off your game!
    THIS!!

I 3-putt so many times during a round that if I dropped that by half, I would break 90...
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

My Ride
    1998 BMW 328i

Originally posted by asp integra

I just moved into a new house with an unfinished basement so it has been my golf range for the last few weeks. I love the 9 foot ceilings and wiffle balls, fells good to swing the clubs again!
    Is that just foam against the wall? Pretty awesome, and cheaper then those nets they have for that.

I will be going to the golf show but I dunno how much I will be able to spend. More just going to look at all the new stuff coming out.
    Koenigsegg, what started as a dream just blew your doors off.

My Ride
    Lariat

Originally posted by DEATH2000

Is that just foam against the wall? Pretty awesome, and cheaper then those nets they have for that.

I will be going to the golf show but I dunno how much I will be able to spend. More just going to look at all the new stuff coming out.
    Its actually just the insulation. I hit wiffle balls so next to no impact on the plastic covering the insulation. I also have some cardboard I put up to protect a little but also for aim.
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:

Originally posted by SOAB
    last year was my first year of playing golf and I was able to break 100. all it takes is practice as well as an understanding of what you are doing wrong and why.

I played about 2 rounds a month but hit the range almost 3 times a week.
    Breaking 100 is not easy. The percentage is like 70% of golfers who play legitimately by the rules can't break 100.

Yah I'm usually skeptic when people tell me how quickly they broke the 100s or even 90s...

Then it often is followed with a round at a course in which I see them breaking tons of rules, shaving strokes etc etc. Bite my tongue.

I think it took me my 3rd summer of playing 30+ rounds and going to driving range to shoot a legit sub 90. Last season I maybeeeee got to 15-20 rounds, I managed to never shoot a 100+ (first season) but I couldn't get below an 87 from lack of play time.

Maybe others are just much more talented

Originally posted by colinxx235
    Yah I'm usually skeptic when people tell me how quickly they broke the 100s or even 90s...

Then it often is followed with a round at a course in which I see them breaking tons of rules, shaving strokes etc etc. Bite my tongue.

I think it took me my 3rd summer of playing 30+ rounds and going to driving range to shoot a legit sub 90. Last season I maybeeeee got to 15-20 rounds, I managed to never shoot a 100+ (first season) but I couldn't get below an 87 from lack of play time.

Maybe others are just much more talented
    Usually those who break 100 so quickly use a lot of "mulligans" and "foot wedges"

Originally posted by lasimmon

Usually those who break 100 so quickly use a lot of "mulligans" and "foot wedges"
    The old "a gimmie counts as a stroke?!" realization is another popular one.

My Ride
    2005 F350

LOL. fuckers.

it was a legit 96 with 3 other witnesses!!
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

My Ride
    04 EP3'

Just purchased my VIP Golf card. Not sure if anyone has bought one of these in the past. vipgolf.ca it's a discount golf card with plenty of courses in the Calgary area. Only takes about 12 rounds to break even. Should be fun playing courses that I'd consider "too expensive" before!

Yah I got one this year too. Hopefully I can make it worth it. I've heard rumblings some times it takes calling multiple courses before there is a VIP spot available.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Originally posted by lasimmon
    Yah I got one this year too. Hopefully I can make it worth it. I've heard rumblings some times it takes calling multiple courses before there is a VIP spot available.
    I don't know where you heard that, but that's not the case. I was a member last year and definitely got my money's worth. The issue is that there are only so many available spots for each course, and depending on the booking rules at that course, you might be only able to book your tee time a couple days out. While you might have a VIP slot, you won't have a tee time. The most popular courses, or ones with the best deals, tend to fill up fast.

It's really easy to see if there are any spots free or not on the site. However, there wasn't a weekend all year where I couldn't find somewhere to play. It might not be your first choice, but that's what you get for this program.

Originally posted by npham

I don't know where you heard that, but that's not the case. I was a member last year and definitely got my money's worth. The issue is that there are only so many available spots for each course, and depending on the booking rules at that course, you might be only able to book your tee time a couple days out. While you might have a VIP slot, you won't have a tee time. The most popular courses, or ones with the best deals, tend to fill up fast.

It's really easy to see if there are any spots free or not on the site. However, there wasn't a weekend all year where I couldn't find somewhere to play. It might not be your first choice, but that's what you get for this program.
    That sounds like what I heard but in more positive terms. Makes me a little lore confidant in my purchase!

Thanks!

By all accounts if you're proactive you will always find times at good courses and it's terrific value. In fact I've heard members at some of the courses are very annoyed by the blocks of tee times they can't get because of VIP and other services.

If you're the kind of person who starts looking for a weekend tee time on Friday afternoon, you're going to think you've wasted your money, but that can be said of a person with an expensive membership to even a more exclusive club.

My Ride
    Lexus IS-F

VIP Golf's early bird pricing ends March 31st. It's worth getting if you play a lot golf. Members typically save 40-60% off green fees.

I'm a member and I'm always looking for more golfing buddies. Shoot me a PM if you're a member too and would like to head out some time.

I just published a blog post about VIP Golf: http://www.calgarygolfblog.com/2014/...reen-fees.html
    Calgary Deals Blog - All of Calgary's Best Deals in One Place.

My Ride
    Lexus IS-F

The Links of GlenEagles popular ‘FREE Round of Golf when you bring a Friend‘ promotion is back.

This is a limited time offer and will end as soon as all 4,000 certificates have been claimed. GlenEagles gave away all 4,000 certificates in only 7 days last year so don’t miss out!

Visit my blog for more details: http://www.calgarydealsblog.com/2014...lf-friend.html

Today (March 31) is also the last day to take advantage of VIP Golf's early bird pricing (extra $70 off).
    Calgary Deals Blog - All of Calgary's Best Deals in One Place.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Signed myself up for a certificate for that BOGO. Thanks for the heads up.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Any VIP members going to play Copper Point this weekend?

My Ride
    04 EP3'

do you guys have any recommendations on a good place for golf lessons or an instructor you recommend?

My Ride
    Lariat

Originally posted by petoria
    do you guys have any recommendations on a good place for golf lessons or an instructor you recommend?

National Golf dome (just off Macleod at 50th ave), Terry Carter is the head pro there and runs it, but all the instructors there are very good
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast