Quantcast
Renting to Pet Owners - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Renting to Pet Owners

Default Renting to Pet Owners

Would you guys rent a townhouse to pet owners?

I have someone interested in my rental place and he has a doberman that is well behaved (according to him).

Would you rent out to him, perhaps ask for more rent because of the pet?

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Increased rent and/or an additional/inflated damage deposit to cover pet damage and a professional floor cleaning after move-out.

That said, I would be more hesitant to rent to a dog owner than a cat owner, just based on relative ability to cause damage.

The pets are ALWAYS worse that the owners claim.

It isn't worth the hassle and the potential damage to floors and walls.

Say goodbye to hardwood floors! Not enough places rent to people with pets for that reason. My hardwood floor was brand new two years ago and now it is ruined by the claws of my two french bulldogs!

I'd be calling the previous landlord no matter the renter and pet status. History is everything.

As for the wood floor damage, it depends on the wood used and the quality of the wood and dog. My parents have twenty year old wooden floors, two medium sized dogs and not a scratch.

On the upside a renter with pet is going to be a better class of renter as they don't have as many options and would do anything to keep the pet and rental. Other than adding to the lease agreement something about only one dog on the premise and a pet damage deposit, you should be good to go. One assumes a pro carpet cleaning is already in the lease, if not it should be for all types of renters.
    Last edited by CanmoreOrLess; 03-25-2014 at 02:29 PM.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Don't do it. More than enough renters out there looking for places.

I have never met a pet I like. Whether they wreck your carpet, your grass, your laminate....

Fuck it. Never worth it.

Originally posted by sputnik
    The pets are ALWAYS worse that the owners claim.

It isn't worth the hassle and the potential damage to floors and walls.
    ALWAYS? Seems a bit extreme.

No hardwood in this place, just carpet.

Are pets hard on walls and cabinets also?

My Ride
    '15 Grand Cherokee Summit, '18 Golf R

I had a well behaved dog. I became very good at cleaning up diarrhea splatter.

So personally, no, I wouldn't rent to a dog owner.
    If your townhouse doesn't have a fenced yard, then I most definitely wouldn't rent to somebody with a large dog.

Other pets I find less of an issue, but I would still ask for more rent and/or a higher damage deposit.

My Ride
    Is way to loud.

Originally posted by stealth

YES!! they are pretty harsh on walls, cabinets, carpet, doors, lawns, etc. dogs are pretty harsh on almost everything. If your dog is not in a kennel and roams free and you happen to go out, Once you come home and the dog gets excited for some reason they tend to demolish the wall beside the front door and the wall beside it.

I have 2 dogs, black lab and a blue nose pit bull. they ruin the above stated on a daily basis.
    2015 F350 (work bitch)
    2011 Impreza (Daily beater)
    00 EK Hatch (Sold)
    MX73 (Sold)
    00 Acura EL (Sold)
    98 EJ6 Hatch(Sold)
    90 Civic Sedan ED3(Sold)
    91 Si Hatch (Sold)
    88 SiR-x (Sold)
    89 Rex Si (R.I.P)
    91 SiR-x (Sold)
    90 Rex Si (Sold)
    93 Ej1 Coupe (Sold)

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by stealth

depends... my parent's old dog ate the corner of a cabinet and chewed a hole in the drywall...

my dog did do a number on some cabinets at my place.. but thats more so how i setup her gate... she tried standing against it and she must have figured the wall (aka, cabinet) was more stable... but it wasnt, so i have claw marks there...

worse by far with carpets is going to be piss... cause once it soaks in it might look clean, but god knows what it looks like underneath.

my old tenants got a dog... a puppy, they talked about it a bit before they moved in but never confirmed WHAT type of dog they were thinking of getting and they failed to tell me about it after they got it, from what i could tell from inspection, they left it outside a lot and neglected it... fucking thing ate all the wiring off the bbq, mud on everything in the yard, all over the back door area (obviously trying to get into the house) and shit like that... but for me it isnt a massive deal, current tenants have a dog too... i had a dog before them all in that house, after these guys move out i'm probably going to reno and sell anyway so a couple bucks off the damage deposit is helpful

If you don't mind additional repairs and cost, go for it. Otherwise don't do it as I wouldn't do it myself.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I have a tenant in my condo who has a really nice mid-sized dog. Only problems that past 1.5 years has been the occasional barking during thunderstorms. She was screened and credit was pullled - just a great tenant all around. Never any issues.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

I wouldn't write a tenant off just because of a dog. As mentioned before, check references, add in a higher damage deposit and stipulate thorough, professional clean.

I would be hesitant if it was a brand new place, but if it is already lived in then a well-behaved, home broken dog won't be that taxing - unless his references don't check out.

I will tell you that after having my wife's cat piss in my basement in our new house - you can't tell me a dog is more expensive. Dog pee comes out with a good clean, drywall can be repaired easily and cheaply but cat piss means $4000 in new carpet, drywall and trim.

My Ride
    335i

Never a good idea.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Better not rent to anyone with kids either. They can also damage a home. So can the elderly with their walkers, or wheelchairs. Don't even THINK about renting it out to a young couple either. Chicks are known to throw things during heated arguments. Oh, no one older than 40 either, I mean how trust worthy with money is someone who doesn't own their own house by then, right?

(not directed at you OP, just to the people who would refuse tenants because a pet "could" possibly damage something)
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

The problem is that you can only collect maximum 1 months rent for a damage deposit. A dog can do way more than that in damages.

If I could have collected additional funds for a ‘pet damage deposit’ I would have considered it. But without that provision no way.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by 88CRX
    The problem is that you can only collect maximum 1 months rent for a damage deposit. A dog can do way more than that in damages.

If I could have collected additional funds for a ‘pet damage deposit’ I would have considered it. But without that provision no way.
    Are you sure?

In the past, I paid $900 for first months rent, $900 Damage Deposit, and an additional $250 as a pet deposit.

I just want to say that I got all my damage deposits back, including the pet deposit, and I have had cats and dogs while renting, and never had an issue. And yes, it was very difficult finding a place to rent when I had my dogs just because of the perceived possibility that a dog MIGHT do some damage. It very much depends on the owners and the dog.

It bugged me so much when I was immediately disqualified because of my dogs.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by spikers

Are you sure?

In the past, I paid $900 for first months rent, $900 Damage Deposit, and an additional $250 as a pet deposit.

I just want to say that I got all my damage deposits back, including the pet deposit, and I have had cats and dogs while renting, and never had an issue. And yes, it was very difficult finding a place to rent when I had my dogs just because of the perceived possibility that a dog MIGHT do some damage. It very much depends on the owners and the dog.

It bugged me so much when I was immediately disqualified because of my dogs.
    yup, its in the act... doesnt mean everyone follows things to the letter of the law though

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Hell no. It takes a lot of work and money to get rid of piss from flooring. Accidents happen, you don't want to be stuck with it.
    Ultracrepidarian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast