Quantcast
TELUS Fibre Optic - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: TELUS Fibre Optic

Recently had Telus set up installed in a fibre optic building. The TV quality blows compared to Shaw. All sorts of noticeable blurriness/pixelation which I did not experience at all on Shaw. Why is Telus still using component cables?? PVR menu is snappy I must admit but the timing of show recordings is way off. When I record something I'll catch the last few minutes of another show and miss the last few minutes of the one I'm recording.

Going to switch back to shaw soon.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Originally posted by Manhattan
    Recently had Telus set up installed in a fibre optic building. The TV quality blows compared to Shaw. All sorts of noticeable blurriness/pixelation which I did not experience at all on Shaw. Why is Telus still using component cables?? PVR menu is snappy I must admit but the timing of show recordings is way off. When I record something I'll catch the last few minutes of another show and miss the last few minutes of the one I'm recording.

You can just use HDMI if you want, all telus boxes have hdmi on the back. I record all the time, it does start recording a few minutes early, but I never had the ending cut off ever, in 3 years I had it. The only time it has ever cut off the end is when the show is live and goes for longer than originally scheduled for. I had Shaw, Bell and Telus, to me they are all low bitrate HD streams, so they will pixilate regardless, but for the most part I think the quality is pretty good, on par with my friend who is still with Shaw.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Originally posted by Manhattan

I had exactly the same experience when i first got telus installed in arbour lake. Not sure if fiber there or not though, maybe someone else can chime in.

Anyway when I moved to my new neighborhood (montreux) all those issues went away. I have gone through several digital boxes for various problems like that though. The recording thing is very annoying, and even these days it still sometimes cuts off the end of a show or before they show the preview for next week. Other times we'll have the cut off 10 mins into the next show. Its not consistent.

I think if i did not work for telus I'd just get rid of the tv and just use netflix. I only keep it because i have to.
    Last edited by nzwasp; 08-11-2014 at 04:10 PM.

Apparently Telus uses less bandwidth for a stream than Shaw, but Shaw's compression was configured by a retarded monkey so Shaw looks worse.

My Ride

Originally posted by nzwasp

I had exactly the same experience when i first got telus installed in arbour lake. Not sure if fiber there or not though, maybe someone else can chime in.

Anyway when I moved to my new neighborhood (montreux) all those issues went away. I have gone through several digital boxes for various problems like that though. The recording thing is very annoying, and even these days it still sometimes cuts off the end of a show or before they show the preview for next week. Other times we'll have the cut off 10 mins into the next show. Its not consistent.

I think if i did not work for telus I'd just get rid of the tv and just use netflix. I only keep it because i have to.
    That's very interesting, two people here mention the same thing. I never had recording issues as mentioned previously, been using their service for almost 4 years now, started out with copper and now on fiber, interesting. I usually watch discovery channel, dtour, nat geo and such, as well as American got talent, ninja warrior and things like that, whichever channels those are on.

My Ride

Just remembered, under record settings, one can set the end time for end of recording. Perhaps something changed with newer Optik installs, but mine is set to "At scheduled end time", one can set it to by later by up to 3 hours. Don't know if that's the issue for you guys or not but figure I mention it here anyways.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3