Quantcast
Vegetation Killer - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vegetation Killer

My Ride
    TDi

Default Vegetation Killer

I have a pretty small backyard and the there is no landscaping done in the backyard since I bought the place. The garage and deck are now done and I am ready to put some rocks because grass is useless because of the size.

Anyone know of any vegetation that will kill everything growing under the deck and in my backyard? I don't plan on growing anything in the back so I don't care if it kills anything and everything. Currently there is a shit ton of large ass weeds/grass growing and I have to use the weed whacker every couple weeks. Thanks
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

i have heard salt works

My Ride
    My Bike

Round Up. The stuff will kill all the vegetation.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

I buy Round up by the bulk (I get the farmers discount, we buy it in 3k liter totes) Let me know what quantities you need. 4 liters should do you just fine, or more depending on how long you need to kill the weeds/grass for.
    There are Round up ready seeds that will not be bothered with Round up, but you wont have to worry about those, as they have to be intentionally planted, and are far from "weeds" in any sense of the term, their genetically altered seed that are immune to it. We grow them as certain varieties of crops, so like I say, you wont have to worry about those springing up.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 08-10-2014 at 11:51 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    TDi

Originally posted by theken
    i have heard salt works
    Thanks

Originally posted by sheik_yerbouti
    Round Up. The stuff will kill all the vegetation.

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    I buy Round up by the bulk (I get the farmers discount, we buy it in 3k liter totes) Let me know what quantities you need. 4 liters should do you just fine, or more depending on how long you need to kill the weeds/grass for.
    There are Round up ready seeds that will not be bothered with Round up, but you wont have to worry about those, as they have to be intentionally planted, and are far from "weeds" in any sense of the term, their genetically altered seed that are immune to it. We grow them as certain varieties of crops, so like I say, you wont have to worry about those springing up.
    Is that 4 litres of the concentrated stuff? Awesome, well if I can I am hoping that I can kill all the vegetation and then put the rocks and everything down this summer.

Can you PM me waht 4 litres would approximately run me? Thanks
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by theken
    i have heard salt works
    Not as well as you would think. I tried a high concentrate of salt water in my alley last year, and it only took a month for the dandelions to start growing back. This year they're in full force again.

If you're going to use salt, you will need a whole lot of it, and lay it straight on the ground, undiluted. This will of course seep into the rest of your soil as well though.

Don't use that black fabric for a weed barrier. No matter what quality you get, or how many layers you use, it's almost useless after the first season.

Use a tarp, and cut out a 1 inch hole about every 16 sq/ft for drainage.

My Ride
    TDi

Originally posted by Seth1968
    Don't use that black fabric for a weed barrier. No matter what quality you get, or how many layers you use, it's almost useless after the first season.

Thanks for the info. I will likely take your advice as my parents used the black fabric and there is grass growing through
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Steam/hot water also works good.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

This is pure truth, I don't know how they can sell that fabric stuff with "10 year warranty" when it doesn't do ANYTHING at all.

I also found that using old carpet works well. I had a roll and put it down in one area and rocks on top, not a single weed there, where I used the black fabric, shit is all over the place. Tarp is a good idea, going to use it next time.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

The insane prices of those things + horrible reviews online - its a wonder it still sells.

I'm partial to Agent Orange... works every time

If you have to seam the tarp, then use that plastic packing tape. Like the tarp, it won't degrade after the first year like that fabric crap.

CT's regular prices are very reasonable as is, so I always take advantage of their insane sales. I don't understand how you can have reasonable regular prices to begin with, and then offer 50% to 75% off.

Anyway, if price is a concern, watch their weekly online fliers, as their tarps often have a drastic discount sale.

My Ride
    K20A2

i am doing my landscaping soon so i cut a hole in the tarp is that what you are saying .....
    Built with Chopsticks

My Ride
    none

buy some artificial grass. nothing grows under it. It's like a mat and looks identical to real grass. I did the sides of my house with it

My Ride
    K20A2

Originally posted by JudasJimmy
    buy some artificial grass. nothing grows under it. It's like a mat and looks identical to real grass. I did the sides of my house with it
    where did you buy this artificial grass?
    Built with Chopsticks

My Ride
    none

I bought mine a Sunnyside Plant nursery, but have seen it at Golden Acers NE as well.

Originally posted by 95EG6P

i am doing my landscaping soon so i cut a hole in the tarp is that what you are saying .....
    About s 1" (2.5 cm) hole in the tarp for every 4x4 foot space.

I don't know if I'm ashamed or proud to say I agree.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

I bought mine a Sunnyside Plant nursery, but have seen it at Golden Acers NE as well.

I have been thinking of doing my whole damn lawn with this stuff...how much was it? Any companies that specialize in this? I would love to do the whole front and rear in this stuff, hopefully it comes in sheets wider than your standard sod

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

403, I'll have to ask, I dont do the numbers there, it probably wont be much.... but yes its the super concentrated stuff. You dont need to use it fully concentrated, as that would be quite a waste in reality. You can mix it about 20:1 with water, and use that. So I'll get back to you as soon as I work out the cost and so forth.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast