Quantcast
Floating the bow - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Floating the bow

My Ride
    06 F-150

Default Floating the bow

Anywhere around town to grab a somewhat decent inflatable boat for the river? Also where are some good launch spots? Always thought I'd start at the park in Bowness but with it closed not sure where to go.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

I used to get all our inflatable rafts at Crappy tire, they'd usually last at least a couple seasons. The more hardcore ones you could get at Mountain Equipment Coop, or Bass Pro... but I never saw the need. We've always been more then fine with the cheapy ones... Even if the odd one does spring a mild leak, you just fill it up once or twice as you float along the bow, no biggie there.

Usually we'd get in at Princess Island park, then get off near where my bro lives by Deer Ridge Estates. We'd pack up all our stuff into one car, take that to the start point, then we'd leave a car at the ending point, so we could pack all our stuff up and head back, then collect the other car later. Thats always been the best bet.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    '10 Civic

My Ride
    06 F-150

I figured you wouldn't be able to go past that spot on deer foot there near Inglewood golf course..looks a little rough at that spot or do you get off and walk down stream?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by chathamf
    I figured you wouldn't be able to go past that spot on deer foot there near Inglewood golf course..looks a little rough at that spot or do you get off and walk down stream?
    The weir? Super dangerous, if you've never rafted before you can portage. Or take the new channel they built specifically for watercraft, but its still not for beginers if the water is really flowing.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ters-1.1225156

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

The outdoor center at the university has a wide variety of rafts and a sweet ass high volume pump. Prices are available on their website.
    Ultracrepidarian

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

The weir? Super dangerous, if you've never rafted before you can portage. Or take the new channel they built specifically for watercraft, but its still not for beginers if the water is really flowing.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ters-1.1225156
    Ummm, that section of the river has been closed to anyone plying the river since the 2013 flood. Unknown when it'll be reopened - portage will be mandatory.

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Before the flood, my SO, her sister and her friend used to go down the Bow about 3 times every summer. Launch at the NW tip of St Patrick's Island all the way to usually the automall banks, sometimes to Deer Run.

Last month they went they didn't dare to go on the Bow cause it's changed so much I guess, just the elbow from Fort Calgary to Stanley Park.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

There are several great floats on the upstream portionfrom bearspaw/bowness down to shouldice or princes' island.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2013 Ford Focus ST

I'd suggest floating the upper section of the bow within the city. Put in at Baker Park boat launch. Baker park is right accross the river from Bowness.
    https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

The river is in good shape all the way down to the zoo. You can either take out river left at the zoo or river right just before running Harvie Passage (or what used to be), as it's not open for paddling since the flood.

Another place you can rent a proper raft...is the Rocky Mountian Paddling Center with all the safety equipment. They are locted at the Bow Waters Club House just off 17th Ave.

My Ride
    V8s

Just save yourself the headache and go float the elbow. Slower pace, nice houses to look at, pretty much impossible to drown. Anything will work (i.e. air mattress, kids floaties), so no need to buy a boat.