Quantcast
Lethbridge Barn Find: Cool Car Collection gets sold off - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Lethbridge Barn Find: Cool Car Collection gets sold off

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

Default Lethbridge Barn Find: Cool Car Collection gets sold off

So this rich dairy farmer in Lethbridge decides to start buying cars that will "appreciate in value". Stores them in a quanstet for about 8 years, and then sells them all off....except for 10 randoms.

He had some cool limited edition Ford GT's. I found the story more interesting than the car collection.

LINK TO STORY

LINK TO ORIGINAL STORY - pics of the cool cars

"10 cars unsold in huge Alberta barn discovery described as "no big deal"

Our story on one of the biggest barn finds in Canada, with 40 future and current collectibles brought out of storage on a farm outside Lethbridge, Alta., didn’t seem complete without discussing the 10 cars that were held back, and how the cars came to form such an unusual collection.

To recap, Lotto Max winner Lawayne Musselwhite of Fort Saskatchewan, Alta., recently bought 40 cars as a lot with business partner Darren Boychuk. Among the cars were three 2006 Ford GTs, including a rare Heritage Edition model. Also included in the sale were six Corvettes, a 2007 Shelby GT500 convertible, four Plymouth Prowlers and a 2009 Dodge Charger SRT-8. Many of the cars were virtually brand new vehicles, with plastic on the seats and all factory stickers and invoices.

According to the brother of the 55-year-old dairy farmer who originally bought the vehicles, the farmer started buying cars and trucks to put away in 1999. The brother does not want his name, or that of his brother published. But the buying spree started with limited edition Plymouth Prowlers.

These are the 10 vehicles that were left behind in the great barn find at a dairy farm near Lethbridge, Alberta.
    These are some of the 10 vehicles that were left behind in the great barn find at a dairy farm near Lethbridge, Alberta.
    Alyn Edwards, Driving
    Later, in what can only be described as a salesman’s dream, the farmer went to his local Ford dealership in Lethbridge and told then-sales manager Shane Wyness that he had $1 million to spend on cars and trucks, but only wanted to buy those that would go up in value.

“I sold him most of the cars and trucks. He is a car guy, and so am I, and he would buy two or three a year,” Shane said from his Fort Saskatchewan home.

40 stunning cars discovered in ultimate Canadian barn find

The cars he bought included the Ford GTs that were instant collector cars. The Heritage Edition is one of only 400 built. College Ford in Lethbridge also delivered numerous Harley Davidson Edition Ford pickup trucks along with other vehicles such as two of the four Plymouth Prowlers.

“He saw a photo of a Ford GT Heritage Edition in my office and that’s what started the purchase of the three cars,” Shane recalls. He found a Heritage Edition in Quebec and the red and blue Ford GTs at dealerships in Medicine Hat and Lloydminster, Sask.

These are some of the 10 vehicles that were left behind in the great barn find at a dairy farm near Lethbridge, Alberta.
    Alyn Edwards, Driving
    The farmer loved cars, explained his brother, and he had started buying them years ago. But the cars were stored in a Quonset hut and were deteriorating. Farm hands were using some of the new Ford Harley Davidson Edition pickup trucks and running them through the fields as work vehicles.

“My brother didn’t want to sell the cars until recently because he had them for so long. But he’s okay with it now,” he says, noting health issues prompted the sale. His daughter-in-law, who looks after the farm’s finances, handled the sale of the 40 cars for $1.1 million.

Ten vehicles, however, were set aside, and not included in the 40-lot sale, prompting speculation as to what gems might remain. Unfortunately, none are as glamorous as the GTs.

“The cars that were not sold are no big deal,” explained the farmer’s brother. “There is a Firebird, Camaro and Mustang among other vehicles that were special to my brother. There are also some regular cars that he bought on the spur of the moment.”

The 10 vehicles still at the farm include:

1994 Cadillac DeVille
    1997 Camaro Z28 30th Anniversary Edition
    1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager
    1999 Mustang GT 35th Anniversary Edition
    2000 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
    2002 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
    2004 Ford F-150 Lightning
    2009 Cadillac XLR
    2009 Lincoln MKS AWD
    2010 Ford F-150 Harley Davidson Edition

He says they are stored reasonably well and not being sold at this time.
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

My Ride
    Horse

Saw this on Jalopnik a while back. I would have kept one of the GT's.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Default Re: Lethbridge Barn Find: Cool Car Collection gets sold off

Originally posted by freshprince1

Later, in what can only be described as a salesman’s dream, the farmer went to his local Ford dealership in Lethbridge and told then-sales manager Shane Wyness that he had $1 million to spend on cars and trucks, but only wanted to buy those that would go up in value.

1994 Cadillac DeVille
    1997 Camaro Z28 30th Anniversary Edition
    1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager
    1999 Mustang GT 35th Anniversary Edition
    2000 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
    2002 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
    2004 Ford F-150 Lightning
    2009 Cadillac XLR
    2009 Lincoln MKS AWD
    2010 Ford F-150 Harley Davidson Edition
    Um?

Barn find - bah. This whole deal would be the farthest thing from the definition of a true barn find. Barn find would be the old Studebaker that's been languishing in my uncle's garage here in Calgary for over 30 years - this farmer (through his daughter) actively looked for buyers.
    Will fuck off, again.

Default Re: Re: Lethbridge Barn Find: Cool Car Collection gets sold off

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Um?
    Yupp. I'd agree - only the 2002 Trans Am might have some future collectible status due to it being the last year they were built and even that's iffy.

My Ride
    Horse

Just noticed the Voyager. Bwahaha wtf?!?

My Ride
    Perpetual Test Drive

Maybe he bought it when they killed Plymouth off and thought that would help it go up in value. Or maybe they had a deal "buy ten Plymouth Prowler's get a grand voyager for free!".

I remember being a kid and sitting in a prowler. It sure looks cool but its, FWD, automatic, and a V6.
    War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

How is this a "find"? It's not like they were purchased, forgotten, then rediscovered by accident. Hell, some of these cars aren't even off warranty yet.

If it were me, I'd go straight for classics from the 40's to 60's.

The farmer spent $1 million and only got $1.1 million for them? Looks like the buyer who bought the lot got a killer deal.

I imagine if he didn't get the 3 Ford GT's he may have lost money there.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Wow, 2010 Ram? Voyager? he sure picked some winners there. The Ford GT's were a good bet, everything else, meh. The prowlers may have kept SOME value, but even so....

far from a true "Barn find" IDK, to me? a bard find would be a Dusenberg or Pierce Arrow (two manufacturer's that made the equivalent of the Bugatti Veyron of their day, back in the 20
    s and early 30's) that were put in storage, and havent been found until recently. Here? the guy knew about them the entire time..... its like....
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

I wouldn't say barn find either, but interesting regardless. Lethbridge really is a car guy town.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

What vehicles 2010-2014 do you think you could buy today, store and think hold or increase in value over 20 years?

2010 Pontiac Solstice Coupe - only 12 made.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Has AWD

Originally posted by speedog
    2010 Pontiac Solstice Coupe - only 12 made.
    How bout a Tesla S? Lancer Evo 10? C7 Vette?(could be the last vette ever produced if GM went under......

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-24-2020 at 01:48 PM.

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

The XLR would be worth some dough if it's kept long enough, maybe the HD F-150 again if the miles are kept off of it.

As for cars today, they would all have to be special editions. Such as a c63 Black, Shelby GT500, Camaro ZR1/ Z28

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-02-2020 at 12:33 AM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    W204

Those 3 GTs alone would've been worth more than the asking price IMO.. The daughter in law handled the sale apparently. I guess until we see what the actual condition of the cars are, it's hard to say if they actually got a good deal or not I suppose.

When I first read the story, I was so convinced that the daughter in law got ripped off big time, but now definitely not so sure as a lot of work definitely will need to be put into these.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!