Quantcast
Austria - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Austria

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Default Austria

I was supposed to be staying with a friend in Vienna (also my "tour guide") but unfortunately she is now unable to accommodate.

I fly into Vienna late Aug 13 and need to be in Iceland Aug 21. So I've got a bit of time but not a lot. I really have no idea how long I should spend in Vienna or Salzburg (or if another town is of interest), or if I have enough time to go see a friend in Switzerland for a couples days.

Anything you really liked or could suggest to see in Austria?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    G6

Vienna's pretty, but I wouldn't spend more than 2 days there. Kinda dull after you see the touristy stuff IMO. Note your proximity to Budapest from Vienna! Go to Budapest. Probably be like a 5 hour train ride. You could easily spend a week there. Lots of history and sightseeing, everything's cheap, nightlife's great, and the baths rock. If you've never been, it's an absolute must.

My Ride
    Eclipse

Yah Vienna is like 2 days max, The nightlife sucks there so if that's what your into, don't bother..

Walk down the street with the Opera and check out the Hofburg go check out St.Stephens cathedral.

Salzburg is really nice but a really small city, and it's also like a 3hr train ride from Vienna, you can get to Budapest in 3 1/2hrs via a train and its like 40EUR.

I'm currently living in Budapest and highly recommend it, if you swing by here send me a text and if I got time I'll show you around.. The F1 is also in budapest on July 27th and there is still tickets if you want to check that out..

Ahh I Just saw your dates, There is a HUGE festival called "Sziget Festival" in Budapest From Aug 11-17th which I would highly recommend, Ill be doing the 16/17th of it and will be in Barcalona before it..

szigetfestival.com

Don't waste your time going to Bratislava even though its like a 30min drive, it sucks and you can see the city in like 3-4hrs..

I loved Salzburg but it's pretty small, but its a gorgeous city. Vienna is really expensive and more high-end renovated buildings.

Sorry so hungover PM me and Ill give you more info!
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    CAEB, 6G72

I'm not sure what Austria has for drivable mountain passes, but its the perfect time of year to rent a bike or car and cruise some hair pins. If you end up going to Switzerland they also have some fantastic passes, but they are a bit closer to the interior.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Thanks for the tips guys! Heard I needed minimum 4 days from a few people so I'm kinda surprised to hear 2 days but oh well. I have been to Budapest before, and it was wonderful. I have a friend living in Zurich who I'd like to see but need to finalize if that can work depending on how much I should spend in Austria.

Sounds like 5 days might be enough to cover most things?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    G6

5 days is overkill for Austria IMO. If you head to Switzerland, hopefully your friend has the good sense to take you to Lucerne. Actually, smaller town Switzerland in general is really awesome. I spent a week in Baden, which is 30km outside Zurich, and I can tell you Zurich is also super booooooring. Switzerland's got a lot of outdoor music festivals which I would also highly recommend.

My Ride
    TL

austria was so unmemorable for myself, there were a couple neat museums, but i could have definitely skipped that part of my eurotrip. it all depends what you're into.

if you're into partying/night life, go to budapest

if you're into history and sight seeing, stay in austria for a few days and see all the museums you want then travel to croatia (still has a decent night life)

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Appreciate the suggestions guys, thanks.

I may meet someone in Slovenia afterwards, or go to Switzerland, or keep my flight and go to Prague for a couple days. Either way, should be enjoyable!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Eclipse

If you go 2 Slovenia, do the caving in Lublijana (wear a sweater when u go there) and check out Bled, small town with a church on an island you can swim 2 or rent a kayakk to get to..

Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.