Quantcast
2015 Ford F150 - 732 Lbs lighter, and new "baby" 2.7L EcoBoost - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2015 Ford F150 - 732 Lbs lighter, and new "baby" 2.7L EcoBoost

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

It'll be fine. The 2.7L is the toughest Ecoboost built to date (according to ford sources).

It uses the CGI block, same materials as a Diesel.

What I'm curious of is the Rods/Pistons. If they're fully forged I can see Stage 1 tunes making 360Hp and 425tq.

It's gonna essentially become the truck to beat.

32-34MPG, and serious Jam.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Perpetual Test Drive

Originally posted by spikerS

When did they drop those numbers?

When I bought my 2012 the advertised numbers for the EB were 385hp and 411tq...
    I'm not sure, but that is what Ford Canada lists on their website for the 2014 F150
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

^^^

Possibly because of the new intercooler, and slight tune that rickdatuner was talking about in the ecoboost thread.

Originally posted by Darkane

It's gonna essentially become the truck to beat.
    If they just fix the ugly ass front end, it'll be my next vehicle. Why can't they make it look like the Raptor? Or have a factory option for it anyways.
    Last edited by Tik-Tok; 07-25-2014 at 06:56 PM.

My Ride
    Upass

Damn, I can't decide whether to try and score a sweet deal on a 2014 or wait for the 2015.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Originally posted by Nav13
    Damn, I can't decide whether to try and score a sweet deal on a 2014 or wait for the 2015.
    I'm always at this sort of crossroads myself.

I'm a sucker for modern technologies in vehicles however, so I'll always tend to want a newer Generation.

I'm getting a truck next year (95% decided) and it's going to be an F-150 with the 2.7L, or a silverado with the 6.2L 8sp.

Either is going to be sweet.

First big v8 to nab 28-30MPG. Nothing wrong with that!
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by corsvette

That means more heat, more wear etc
    I disagree. Any more "wear" will be minimal.

Once again, this isn't the same as working a living thing hard. Heat itself doesn't cause wear. This is metal we are talking about. What causes wear is RPM and load on the bearings. The load on the bearings is meaningless, as the amount of additional force is so little the added wear is negligible.

The 2.7 ecoboost makes 375tq @ 3000rpm. My 1993 GMC makes 300tq @ 3000rpm. Has my 350 worn out? No.

I'm just saying, your points are irrational, there is no logic to them. Not trying to get on your case, just pointing out that anyone thinking the motor won't "last as long" as another motor is being ridiculous.

Anywho, pricing guide! And tow ratings

http://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/...overed-online/

The tow ratings are also not quoted as meeting the new towing capacity engineering standards, but the trucks are supposed to meet them which is super cool. Rumor has it the 2.7 will be very close to the ecodiesel ram. Even more reasons to buy one, I am excited for 2015!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Agree, people overstate the "more heat, more wear" thing on small engines all the time. I suspect it comes from someones grandfather who was the local expert on farm equipment and he once had an underpowered tractor that died and early death.

Modern vehicles, including pickups, are tested and designed to handle all the heat they can produce. Particularly the EcoBoost series of engines, which have been designed from the ground up to be used for towing and hauling. That engine will remove heat very efficiently.

In the end, it seems like a philosphical objection to anything but a V8 in a pickup, and if that's your preference, then that's fine. Just don't try to disguise your bias as some sort of engineering wisdom.

As for tow ratings, the formal "towing guide" is still in preliminary format and has a lot of the F150 stuff blanked out. The "official" version is expected in September. That will hopefully be unambiguous about the SAE 2807 compliance.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Trucks

I'd like to compare the Ecoboost towing mileage to the Eco diesel tow mileage. I'd bet one is double the other.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by Darell_n
    I'd like to compare the Ecoboost towing mileage to the Eco diesel tow mileage. I'd bet one is double the other.
    Pickuptruck.com did a ram 3/4 ton cummins vs a ram ecodiesel towing test pulling a 7000lb total weight car hauler. The ecodiesel got 19.5usmpg on the highway!

I really hope the smaller ecoboost can pull ~16usmpg towing said 7000lbs of carhauler @ 65mph. Thats what I need lol. I can currently squeeze 13usmpg out of my current pickup towing that much, 3mpg would be huge

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I don't think either EcoBoost will be the engine you want if mileage while towing is your goal.

for me, I like the mileage while empty, and the power while towing. I tow only a few weekends per year.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    I don't think either EcoBoost will be the engine you want if mileage while towing is your goal.

for me, I like the mileage while empty, and the power while towing. I tow only a few weekends per year.
    honestly I don't think half tons are vehicles that should be bought if they are going to spend a majority of the lifetime towing anything >6000lbs

Even with the beefy Tundra 5.7, towing with a gas engine is never effecient. The frame, brakes and lack of stability of an IFS is not enough to do the duty of a HD/Superduty configured truck if you spend allot of time towing.

So to me, its more important to have good fuel economy the 80/90% of the time you're driving, and the power required for the 10-20% you are towing or maxing out its payload.

Knowing that it takes torque to move a truck, and even if the truck is 700lbs lighter, this 2.7 will need to use boost, almost always to get a 4900 truck moving.

We'll have to see what the real world results will be

The fact is though... the use cases of a V8, especially at our elevation, is no longer relevant with the introduction of gas based forced injection to the truck platform.

If I am not mistaken, wasn't the 5.9 cummings inline turbo 6 one of the most reliable and effecient diesels that were in Dodges for years?
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 07-31-2014 at 01:06 PM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by r3ccOs

honestly I don't think half tons are vehicles that should be bought if they are going to spend a majority of the lifetime towing anything >6000lbs
    I would strongly disagree with you. People who think they need a 3/4 or 1 ton to tow 7000lbs are ridiculous. I've been doing it (safely) for close to a decade.

Once again, someone's bias or uneducated/ignorant irrational opinion does not make something so.

I tow 10's of thousands of kilometers a year. The only time I've desired a 3/4 ton or 1 ton is when going over the rated capacities of the 1/2 ton, which has typically been about 9k lbs for the past decade. Then sure, of course I will get a 3/4 or 1 ton. That makes sense.

There is a reason they are rated to tow such weights, because they are designed for it. Assigning any other "perceived" value is strictly your own assertions. And anyone who says "people towing shouldn't worry about gas mileage" should be slapped. One of the dumbest arguments I've ever heard. I'll gladly pocket a couple extra grand per year. You want to waste money, have at it.

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

I would strongly disagree with you. People who think they need a 3/4 or 1 ton to tow 7000lbs are ridiculous. I've been doing it (safely) for close to a decade.

Once again, someone's bias or uneducated/ignorant irrational opinion does not make something so.

I tow 10's of thousands of kilometers a year. The only time I've desired a 3/4 ton or 1 ton is when going over the rated capacities of the 1/2 ton, which has typically been about 9k lbs for the past decade. Then sure, of course I will get a 3/4 or 1 ton. That makes sense.

There is a reason they are rated to tow such weights, because they are designed for it. Assigning any other "perceived" value is strictly your own assertions. And anyone who says "people towing shouldn't worry about gas mileage" should be slapped. One of the dumbest arguments I've ever heard. I'll gladly pocket a couple extra grand per year. You want to waste money, have at it.
    Just from my experience, a longer heavier truck with double the torque of any half ton, has made the "hauling" experience much more stable when compared to hauling the same trailer with my half ton.

Not saying my half ton won't do it, and couldn't keep doing it (esp with Ecoboost), just doesn't' feel nearly as stable and easily.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2