Quantcast
De-Regulation of Power, a failed experiment....COST Albertan's $20 billion - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: De-Regulation of Power, a failed experiment....COST Albertan's $20 billion

My Ride
    You Crazy

Default De-Regulation of Power, a failed experiment....COST Albertan's $20 billion

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ment-1.2724161

"We don't have enough competition, we do have incidents of companies working together, and we do have economic withholding,” she said.

This week, with the electricity grid running at near capacity, two power plants went unexpectedly out of operation.

Keith Provost, a retired senior operating officer with Alberta Power, said Alberta's deregulation of electricity has proven to be a failed experiment.

"You simply cannot market electricity,” he said.

By Provost’s calculation, it has cost Alberta consumers $20 billion since 2001.

My Ride
    Nothing

You gets a few days of high prices and everybody starts whining.

Why no mention of January, March, April, May and June having been very low priced from robust supply?

Why no mention that when peak summer demand was being set this week wind ouput was virtually nil? Oh, that's right, gotta blame the big bad coal plants and deregulation.............
    Last edited by M.alex; 08-02-2014 at 01:16 AM.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Scotty I need moar powah!

Really though, is the ultimate goal to have the absolute cheapest power for the consumer? Isn't it already cheap enough in Alberta.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature...cientists-warn

Personally I think they should be making a little bit extra, and upgrading the entire grid to be EMP armageddon level solar flare and nukeproof (no cheap or small task)
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by M.alex
    You gets a few days of high prices and everybody starts whining.

Why no mention of January, March, April, May and June having been very low priced from robust supply?

Why no mention that when peak summer demand was being set this week wind ouput was virtually nil? Oh, that's right, gotta blame the big bad coal plants and deregulation.............
    At first I agreed with your view point but remember this is about electricity to the end consumer, not the producers. As a producer, you were basically bleeding cash in those months. So companies like Enmax are still profiting like mad during those low priced months, and I think that's what the issue is.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

Not to mention all of the fuck-twit energy salespeople ignoring my no solicitors door
    sign.

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 08:14 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

^ I really wish we had a "Like" or "Agreed" button for posts.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

Default Re: De-Regulation of Power, a failed experiment....COST Albertan's $20 billion

Originally posted by Toma
    By Provost’s calculation, it has cost Alberta consumers $20 billion since 2001.
    I'd say business that use lots of power are the biggest losers with how unstable the power market is.... they're shutting down/leaving the province... because they have to pay the market rate and can't have contracts.

Consumers get hit with a higher bill a months later or not at all if they have a contract (but might be paying more overall because of it).

For example Alberta Newsprint Company outside of Whitecourt uses as much power as Red Deer... they shut down production when prices spike... that's a big kick to the nuts! (this was back in '02 they might not do this anymore but probably still do).

There's a steel fabrication plant in Edmonton that's said many time they'll shut down because the fluctuation are so big they can't predict costs because they'll never know how much they have to pay for power.

It's not hard to wonder why there are so many planned colocation plants in the works... won't take long pay off the capital cost to build the plant when you can feed power back into the grid @ $999 kW/h when demand spikes...

Stable prices are good for everyone... unstable prices are only good for the producers...

Oh ya, you can thank Ralph Klein for deregulating the power market!

Originally posted by Cos
    IMO best way to have it be the cheapest is to regulate it but be 100% controlled. Expenses + profit. Not as much manipulation if you have a regulator look at every one. This is how the wire owners operate and it seems much better. We are always a lot more cautious with our spending because if the government decides it is not able to be capitalized, we eat the costs.
    I agree!
    Originally posted by Xtrema
    ZenOps is like everyone's crazy uncle.
    Originally posted by DayGlow
    How do you respond to stupid?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Jesus fucking christ Rob Anders, learn to read your own links.
    Originally posted by Seth1968
    Zenops: Ok, but remember my dick is made of nickle.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

some form of variable pricing is a good thing IMO. It's more effective than those stupid messages asking me to turn off my AC in the evenings.
    If power was 2x more expensive from 5-10pm, maybe I'd make a solid effort to reduce my usage in those times, but it isn't, and I don't. I'm not altruistic, I act out of self interest, and I suspect most people do the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    3.5L 7th Gen Accord

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    some form of variable pricing is a good thing IMO. It's more effective than those stupid messages asking me to turn off my AC in the evenings.
    If power was 2x more expensive from 5-10pm, maybe I'd make a solid effort to reduce my usage in those times, but it isn't, and I don't. I'm not altruistic, I act out of self interest, and I suspect most people do the same.

I don't think it would effect me to much if it was 2x more expensive. Regardless, I would be still paying those damn additional fees, so why not consume consume if you keep getting charged those fees regardless.

In the whole scheme of things, the actual electricity costs are low, it is just all the other fees that they tack on that make it seem expensive to the end user.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

That's a good point about fees. They seem to be worth more than the power I consume.
    I think the per kWh charge should be inclusive of fees, that would also create more incentive to save energy.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-03-2019 at 02:27 PM.

Originally posted by triplep

I don't think it would effect me to much if it was 2x more expensive. Regardless, I would be still paying those damn additional fees, so why not consume consume if you keep getting charged those fees regardless.

In the whole scheme of things, the actual electricity costs are low, it is just all the other fees that they tack on that make it seem expensive to the end user.
    I know! I pay more for usage fees most months than actual usage. If I stopped using all electricity, I still have to pay about $100 a month for all sorts of fees! (elec. and gas)

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Default Re: Re: De-Regulation of Power, a failed experiment....COST Albertan's $20 billion

Originally posted by ipeefreely

For example Alberta Newsprint Company outside of Whitecourt uses as much power as Red Deer... they shut down production when prices spike... that's a big kick to the nuts! (this was back in '02 they might not do this anymore but probably still do).
    They sure do, I was there last week and they were shut down due to power.

This thread is kind of funny though... say all of the same things about oil production and see what happens :p

Last edited by Cos; 12-20-2016 at 10:10 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride

Default Re: Re: De-Regulation of Power, a failed experiment....COST Albertan's $20 billion

Originally posted by ipeefreely
    It's interesting that you chose this example, because my brother used to be an accountant there, and he was directly responsible for this. How it worked according to him, is that ANC would buy X amount of power on a contract at Y price, and they would typically run at night, when the power was cheap. Then what they'd do is they'd shut down during the day, and sell their contracted X amount of power back into the grid for a profit. It's a point of fact actually, that ANC has continually LOST money on producing paper for newsprint, and it was the electricity trading that essentially made their profits. Not to mention that they had some of their own generating capacity, and from what I understand they sold power back into the grid for a nice tidy profit. To that end, they're currently in the process of building a 65MW NG power plant...

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    Nothing

Default Re: Re: Re: De-Regulation of Power, a failed experiment....COST Albertan's $20 billion

Originally posted by codetrap
    It's interesting that you chose this example, because my brother used to be an accountant there, and he was directly responsible for this. How it worked according to him, is that ANC would buy X amount of power on a contract at Y price, and they would typically run at night, when the power was cheap. Then what they'd do is they'd shut down during the day, and sell their contracted X amount of power back into the grid for a profit. It's a point of fact actually, that ANC has continually LOST money on producing paper for newsprint, and it was the electricity trading that essentially made their profits. Not to mention that they had some of their own generating capacity, and from what I understand they sold power back into the grid for a nice tidy profit. To that end, they're currently in the process of building a 65MW NG power plant...
    they already built it.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride

They finished it? News for me.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Privatizing any ESSENTIAL part of life that actually MAKES money is fucking retarded.

What sense does it make?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Toma
    Privatizing any ESSENTIAL part of life that actually MAKES money is fucking retarded.

What sense does it make?
    Theoretically, private businesses can find efficiency that a government ops won't.

Realistically, it doesn't especially when bounded by a bunch of rules and regulations and ends up costing more for the same service.

This is same for all the push for outsourcing. It doesn't necessary save you money. At best outsourcing will relieve you of future liabilities and be a bit more flexible on the books.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 08-06-2014 at 11:19 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast