Quantcast
Cinematography/Videography - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Cinematography/Videography

My Ride
    '12 G37x Sedan

Default DSLR Videography

Ideally I'd want to build a portfolio covering: the outdoors, auto shows, business meetings, portrait and eventually moving into weddings, etc. I'd also like the camera to allow me to do some photography therefore am not only looking for a video based camera.

What type of gear are you using? I've been looking at Panasonic's GH4 or Canon EOS 70D, but am open to other suggestions.

What type of sensor would be best?

How did you start building your portfolio?

Thanks
    Last edited by HR-ZD403; 08-20-2014 at 01:10 PM.

My Ride
    '12 G37x Sedan

..bump any suggestions

Gear wise...

Panasonic GH4 (probably the best for all out video and AF during video)
    Nikon D810 (best of the bunch by far if also taking pictures/stills is a big priority)
    Sony A7S (low noise king)

If video is your main focus I'd probably get a GH4, but I wouldn't even consider it if you were planning to actually shoot stills at a wedding with it as well. For general photography it would be fine. Also keep in mind with most DSLR's, their video AF is not great, and you'll be manually focusing everything just like the 'pros' haha.

As for your portfolio question, I can't help you there.

My Ride
    '12 G37x Sedan

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Gear wise...

Panasonic GH4 (probably the best for all out video and AF during video)
    Nikon D810 (best of the bunch by far if also taking pictures/stills is a big priority)
    Sony A7S (low noise king)

If video is your main focus I'd probably get a GH4, but I wouldn't even consider it if you were planning to actually shoot stills at a wedding with it as well. For general photography it would be fine. Also keep in mind with most DSLR's, their video AF is not great, and you'll be manually focusing everything just like the 'pros' haha.

As for your portfolio question, I can't help you there.
    Thanks for the suggestions

My Ride
    Tiburon, Hachiroku, AE92 GT-S, Sonata

I'm still on the gh2 for video, though nowadays I would probably go for the 70d since I use canon for stills. But the panny gh series is pretty awesome. I would disagree about not using it for stills. I have used my gh2 for many stills in many conditions and it has done well enough for me that I was even considering switching my full stills setup to panny.

My Ride
    Hatred

I thought the new Canon 70D was supposed to be pretty impressive for video? I don't have one though but from reading online they seemed quite impressive.
    -U

My Ride

The 70D *IS* really impressive for video. Especially for focus pulling by touch. It would definitely serve me well. But the GH series still has the edge for video imo. If you are looking for a video AND stills cam, I'd give the edge to the 70D. But in all honesty, I would be very happy with EITHER setup for either stills and video, or video only. Both are awesome.

My Ride
    Hatred

Good to hear. I'm looking at dabbling more into video but still do a fair number of stills and have been stink eyeing the 70D to replace my moderately dated 5D-M1.
    -U

My Ride
    '18 Murano

I don't do much video, but when I have, my 70D has really impressed me.
    If your'e going to auto-focus on a non STM lens, you'll want an external mic, otherwise, absolutely no complaints.

My Ride
    2011 Mitsubishi Lancer GT

My 70D is pretty awesome but the GH4 has 4k recording which seems to be the rage these days

My Ride

Honestly I think 4k is just like the megapixel war. At NORMAL viewing distances, you probably wont see the diff between 1080 and 4k. Just like at normal viewing distances with prints, you wont see a diff between 12mp and 24. Heck I still run my portrait and boudoir business at 10MP. Though if you sit 2ft away from your tv, I'm sure you will we the diff, but that is just stupid. A couple years ago at CES, Clem and I looked really closely at an 8K tv with amazing 8K footage. The detail was incredible; you could see the time on the actors watch. But they purposely set it up so you would be standing 2ft away from that 70" screen just so you can pixel peep.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

You have a lot more flexibility in post processing with 4K footage than 1080p footage. You can reframe 4K footage and still render down to 1080p without losing any quality.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    '12 G37x Sedan

What are your thoughts on sensor size?

The GH4 comes with a MFT while the 70D comes with a APS-C. From what I've seen the senor size isn't that significant between those two compared to a full frame. The biggest difference I can see going with a larger sensor is to allow more light in, which would be beneficial in low light scenarios in addition to depth of field.

The A7S has a full frame sensor which makes it great for the low light scenarios and is 4K ready, except you'd need an external recorder.

My Ride

Originally posted by HR-ZD403
    What are your thoughts on sensor size?

The GH4 comes with a MFT while the 70D comes with a APS-C. From what I've seen the senor size isn't that significant between those two compared to a full frame. The biggest difference I can see going with a larger sensor is to allow more light in, which would be beneficial in low light scenarios in addition to depth of field.

The A7S has a full frame sensor which makes it great for the low light scenarios and is 4K ready, except you'd need an external recorder.
    The 70D sensor is the closest size to the traditional film format: super 35. So if you want the closest look to film, the 70D is your ticket.

FF sensors don't necessarily let in more light. It gives you a shallower depth of field. This could be a good thing or a bad thing. More often than not, in dynamic filming, it's a bad thing in my opinion. Most people don't shoot at F/1.2 on FF unless everything is really still. But when things are moving, a larger DOF gives you more wiggle room to keep your subject in focus, whether by moving with your subject, or focus pulling. But to achieve the same DOF on FF as you would on super 35, you gotta stop down the lens and crank up the ISO, negating whatever image quality advantage FF has. I like shooting wide open, as the look of the image changes as you stop down. Most lenses have a distinct look wide open that you lose as soon as you stop down. I find the smaller sensors still give me that beautiful wide open look while still giving me enough DOF to work with. I've tried working with FF and it just wasn't working for me. Of course, everyone has their own opinion, but that is mine.

My Ride
    Hatred

So I picked up the 70D. Pretty amazing camera so far. Feels really good just have to get out and snap some test shots.
    -U

My Ride
    Hatred

Here's a video I shot with the 70D. Just messing around with my rc nothing fancy but it sure does look sharp. And the focus is amazing.

-U

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

Originally posted by Unknown303
    Here's a video I shot with the 70D. Just messing around with my rc nothing fancy but it sure does look sharp. And the focus is amazing.
    Is that just the stock lens? Looks good!

I've been meaning to invest in a Glidecam to go with my 70D, trying to find the XR-2000 locally has been a challenge so far though.

Here's a handheld I shot with the 70D however with a Sigma 10-20mm lens a few weeks back:

The 70D has a fantastic AF system for video.
    Last edited by Kijho; 08-30-2014 at 09:41 PM.

My Ride
    Hatred

Yeah it's the stock 18-55. I'm loving this camera. I'm definitely shooting a lot more video now that I have this camera.
    -U

My Ride
    '12 G37x Sedan

When it comes to video editing (of course depending on personal preference), Would you prefer working on a Mac or PC? Also which editing software?