Quantcast
Cabo San Lucas at Xmas - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Cabo San Lucas at Xmas

Default Cabo San Lucas at Xmas

Hi Guys, looking for some advice.

I have a group of 5 friends that want to go to Cabo for 8 days on Dec 25th and rent a 3000 sq/ft villa to stay in.
    for a few reasons. First being that the Hurricane just went through there. Do you think that there will be enough time to get the place back to normal by then?

Also the flights down there are like $1250.00 direct on West Jet which seems crazy for a 4 hour flight. I know its Xmas but you can usually get an all inclusive with flight for $1500.00. I doubt there will be any cheaper options unless I want to cris cross the USA to get there.

Can any of you tell me some of the things to do down there, as in what is there to see, where is the party spots and good restaurants? We will also have to rent a large car or van for this group so any suggestions on the above will be greatly appreciated.

TIA

My Ride
    A Slow Car

Go somewhere else. It'll take forever to get that place all fixed up. Besides, i don't think you can swim in the ocean cause of riptide/undertow.
    “Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.”

Most of it is now back together and what isn't will be by Xmas...flights are always ridiculous around Xmas.
    Cabo Wabo,El squid Roe both back up and running.
    Car rental most of the time is just as easy to do at the airport.
    Most of the bars on Medano beach are open now and again all should be by Xmas.
    The Pacific side is dangerous with its undertow and swimming is discouraged but Medano beach has all the water sports you need.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Cabo just got fucked up pretty bad. I'd give it a bit of time to recover.

And yes, you can't go in the Sea of Cortez due to its undertow.

Thanks for the input guys. If I go, what should I be budgeting for eating 3 meals a day and for partying? Ive been to Cancun recently and it was like $50USD to get into the clubs and restaurants in the hotel zone were comparable to Calgary prices?

My Ride
    1991 Toyota Soarer

Default Cabo

I'm heading down their on Nov 1st for 13 Days, I can Let you know how it looks once I'm back. The girlfriends Family has a place down their and her sister lives down their and she says its coming along. It was pretty sketchy for sure

Thanks Gyro, def let me know...

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Cabo is recovered and open for business!

Everyone I know who lives there full time, says that other than a couple hotels that had more severe damage, things are fine.

The Mexicans had power restored and damage cleaned up so fast it makes some of us "first world" places look pretty bad.
    I still see tree shrapnel from the snow waiting to be cleaned up.

In fact, there's still shit from last year's flood that needs to be dealt with here.

Originally posted by A790
    Cabo just got fucked up pretty bad. I'd give it a bit of time to recover.

And yes, you can't go in the Sea of Cortez due to its undertow.
    Sea of Cortez is fine to swim in and the main beach in Cabo is great and very swimmable....pacific around cabo no.
    I flew there last week via Mexico city and La Paz and the cruise ships are back in and most of the hotels are open.
    All the major stores have reopened and the fishing is fantastic.
    Right now lots of good deals on drinks in the bars as they try to lure tourists and their money back.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Yep, we go to Cabo 1-2 times a year, and swim in the Sea of Cortez every time.
    Medano Beach is perfectly fine for swimming, as is Chileno Bay and Santa Maria Beach. There are some safe places, and some dangerous places, just do your homework and you'll be fine.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Flight prices are always crazy during Christmas...same with PV>
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

Yes, the water isn't for the beginner swimmer but I didn't sea a problem with it. Yes there's a rip tide but it also makes the water more fun.
    Don't go for a swim after drinking that's for sure.

I'm sure the resorts are somewhat patched over but the personal residences are still a mess from what I have heard from co-workers with places down there. Basically, lots of looting which is usual with no power and chaos.

The majority of the 'looting' reported was government sanctioned to allow the people to get water and food etc...its apparently a law during natural disasters.
    The only openly reported looting was an American time share seller and his girlfriend.
    I own a place that's part of 4 gated communities and all but a handful are back and repaired,mine suffered some but its fixed.
    Most of the major hotels/resorts only suffered superficial damage.
    Most damage was to a few major car dealers along the main road and of course the airport which is now operational.
    The beach is open, the bars and nightclubs are open, walmart is open and so is the airport...what else is there?

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Originally posted by englishbob

Most of the major hotels/resorts only suffered superficial damage.
    Most damage was to a few major car dealers along the main road and of course the airport which is now operational.
    The beach is open, the bars and nightclubs are open, walmart is open and so is the airport...what else is there?
    Exactly. And the Cruise Ships are back visiting.

Default Re: Cabo

Originally posted by gyromonkey
    I'm heading down their on Nov 1st for 13 Days, I can Let you know how it looks once I'm back. The girlfriends Family has a place down their and her sister lives down their and she says its coming along. It was pretty sketchy for sure
    So how was your trip?

My Ride
    1991 Toyota Soarer

Default Re: Re: Cabo

Originally posted by BMDUBS

So how was your trip?
    The Trip was good, just got back Thursday most things are getting back to normal. Lots of construction still theirs constant sounds grinders and trucks but everybody down their is trying their best to get he big hotels back up and running. lots of places are closed but look to be opening mid Dec.

They hassled us pretty good at the airport for bringing down donations for schools the Girlfriends sister and a couple teachers she works with started a charity (Canadacares4cabo) so we brought a couple suite cases full for toiletries and kids clothes. I was searched twice and written up for bringing a jar of popcorn seeds for the In laws then we got searched again leaving the airport. sort of crazy

All and all we got to do everything we wanted to and if you get a chance go deep sea fishing it was amazing the best hails of fish they have seen in years (we brought back 200lbs of yellow fin tuna and mahi mahi )

Hopefully you get a chance to go down, Most business owners and locals where very thankful tourists where already coming back, we got a lot of thanks and free shots of tequila

Thanks for the reply... Damn so lots of places closed? Will it be disappointing to a first timer?

We have rented a villa from Dec 25-Jan 2 so I am looking forward to it. I hope things will be sorted out a bit more by the time I am set to be there...

Do you have any tips you can share as to what there is to see and do down there? Any good restaurant recommendations?

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

I found Cabo disappointing in general as someone who's been to other resort destinations. We went once, we won't go back. Beaches weren't as nice, offered coke regularly, older aged crowd, etc.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info