Quantcast
Island Hopping: Koror, Yap, Guam, Saipan, Honolulu - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Island Hopping: Koror, Yap, Guam, Saipan, Honolulu

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Default Island Hopping: Koror, Yap, Guam, Saipan, Honolulu

I'm taking the long way back to Calgary from Thailand to renew my passport via Koror, Yap, Guam, Saipan, and Honolulu.

The flight schedules suck and my time is limited so I only have around 24-36 hours in Koror, Guam, and Saipan and 3 days in Yap and 4 days in Honolulu.

Any suggestions for stuff to do? I've been researching the Haiku Stairs in Honolulu and would love to do the climb, even though it is illegal, I'll have to do it in the middle of the night, and may end up with a fine...

My Ride
    CAEB, 6G72

Well, there is also the Koko head stairs there too. Less illegal, but more tourists unfortunately.
    Or, there is the Maunawili Falls Trail hike, we did last january. It didn't have a whole lot of tourists, and the pool at the end is pretty cool, if you like cliff jumping. Or Waimea Bay on the north end has some pretty awesome waves in the winter. And the market at the Aloha stadium is usually not bad to check out, if your there on a Wednesday, or Saturday.

Other than that, I don't really know about the night life in Honolulu, or Waikiki. We checked it out a couple times, but didn't spend much time there as I don't really like American tourists.
    Last edited by My_name_is_Rob; 10-27-2014 at 09:10 AM.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Originally posted by My_name_is_Rob
    Well, there is also the Koko head stairs there too. Less illegal, but more tourists unfortunately.
    Or, there is the Maunawili Falls Trail hike, we did last january. It didn't have a whole lot of tourists, and the pool at the end is pretty cool, if you like cliff jumping. Or Waimea Bay on the north end has some pretty awesome waves in the winter. And the market at the Aloha stadium is usually not bad to check out, if your there on a Wednesday, or Friday.

Other than that, I don't really know about the night life in Honolulu, or Waikiki. We checked it out a couple times, but didn't spend much time there as I don't really like American tourists.
    Thanks! I'll be there Dec. 25-28th so I expect it will be packed with tourists. I was thinking about doing the Haiku stairs on Boxing Day morning as perhaps the cops / guards won't be around.

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

Just go super early to the stairs, you will likely encounter the guard on the way down. The guard I met towards the end was actually pretty nice, just asked how was the view and we went about our business, no fine or anything but maybe we got lucky.

I like the diving in Hawaii as the volcanic caverns and tubes are pretty neat to check out.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Originally posted by austic
    Just go super early to the stairs, you will likely encounter the guard on the way down. The guard I met towards the end was actually pretty nice, just asked how was the view and we went about our business, no fine or anything but maybe we got lucky.

I like the diving in Hawaii as the volcanic caverns and tubes are pretty neat to check out.
    Sweet. How did you get to the start of the hike? Was it easy enough to navigate / find your way?

My Ride
    rally pig

Originally posted by austic

when was the last time you hiked Haiku?
    there's been a lot of tension over the summer, alot of fines were given.

they had a meeting to discuss what to do with it, it was too expensive to dismantle so they are figuring out right now how to reopen it and who will be managing it, I would avoid it right now
    http://khon2.com/2014/10/09/group-of...-haiku-stairs/

I've done haiku twice starting at 4am, lots of online guides how to get to the bottom of the stairs (first 2 forks are left, before the 3rd fork theres a path between grasses on the left side, follow it, will take you to another open road, turn left agai, couple hundred meters and the stairs are on the right side) but like I said, I wouldn't recommend doing this hike until they figure out how to reopen the stairs
    I was hoping to do it again last July as well but out of respect to the community that wants it re-opened I decided to skip it and we ended up doing the Lanikai Pillboxes instead which is like the baby version of Haiku stairs but I enjoyed it never the less
    Last edited by taemo; 10-28-2014 at 08:20 AM.

nm
    Last edited by e36bmw///; 03-05-2018 at 11:11 AM.