Quantcast
NYTIMES: USA Hired NAZIs an protected them from prosecution - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NYTIMES: USA Hired NAZIs an protected them from prosecution

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Default NYTIMES: USA Hired NAZIs an protected them from prosecution

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/27/us...=top-news&_r=4

New York Times - Oct 26, 2014

WASHINGTON — In the decades after World War II, the C.I.A. and other United States agencies employed at least a thousand Nazis as Cold War spies and informants and, as recently as the 1990s, concealed the government’s ties to some still living in America, newly disclosed records and interviews show.

At the height of the Cold War in the 1950s, law enforcement and intelligence leaders like J. Edgar Hoover at the F.B.I. and Allen Dulles at the C.I.A. aggressively recruited onetime Nazis of all ranks as secret, anti-Soviet “assets,” declassified records show. They believed the ex-Nazis’ intelligence value against the Russians outweighed what one official called “moral lapses” in their service to the Third Reich.

The agency hired one former SS officer as a spy in the 1950s, for instance, even after concluding he was probably guilty of “minor war crimes.”

And in 1994, a lawyer with the C.I.A. pressured prosecutors to drop an investigation into an ex-spy outside Boston implicated in the Nazis’ massacre of tens of thousands of Jews in Lithuania, according to a government official.

In 1980, F.B.I. officials refused to tell even the Justice Department’s own Nazi hunters what they knew about 16 suspected Nazis living in the United States.

One SS officer, Otto von Bolschwing, was a mentor and top aide to Adolf Eichmann, architect of the “Final Solution,” and wrote policy papers on how to terrorize Jews.

Yet after the war, the C.I.A. not only hired him as a spy in Europe, but relocated him and his family to New York City in 1954, records show. The move was seen as a “a reward for his loyal postwar service and in view of the innocuousness of his [Nazi] party activities,” the agency wrote.
    I guess everything is relative. I for one am shocked.
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

I thought this was common knowledge by now.

Nazi's took us to the moon after all.

Operation Paperclip
    Last edited by kertejud2; 10-27-2014 at 06:38 PM.

My Ride
    EG6

Soooooooo....NASA. Someone put a Archer clip here.
    If you get angry at my post please re-read as a joke or sarcasm.

My Ride
    oooo

How would anyone Nazi that coming?
    2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

My Ride
    EG6

Would it be safe to say that not all Nazi officers were Nazi. Some were just smart guys who did not get out in time and called it surviving. But I am in no way a sympathizer of their movement....just thought I should put that out there lol

Did they hire war criminals or just officers? Hiring a rocket engineer or Gering are two different things

My Ride
    CRF 250L

^^^ Guess you guys didn't read the article.

We're talking about the guy who wrote the manual on how to terrorize Jews, and a guy that implicated in the deaths of 60,000 Jews. WAR CRIMINALS not scientists.

What's so hard to understand about this? It's not rocket science!

Edit:

The Nazi spies performed a range of tasks for American agencies in the 1950s and 1960s, from the hazardous to the trivial, the documents show.

In Maryland, Army officials trained several Nazi officers in paramilitary warfare for a possible invasion of Russia. In Connecticut, the C.I.A. used an ex-Nazi guard to study Soviet-bloc postage stamps for hidden meanings.

In Virginia, a top adviser to Hitler gave classified briefings on Soviet affairs. And in Germany, SS officers infiltrated Russian-controlled zones, laying surveillance cables and monitoring trains.
    Last edited by broken_legs; 10-27-2014 at 07:12 PM.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

This isn't exactly new news. They had a use for these guys and put them to work.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-02-2020 at 11:30 PM.

My Ride
    EG6

Originally posted by broken_legs
    ^^^ Guess you guys didn't read the article.

We're talking about the guy who wrote the manual on how to terrorize Jews, and a guy that implicated in the deaths of 60,000 Jews. WAR CRIMINALS not scientists.

What's so hard to understand about this? It's not rocket science!

Edit:

Ah, my bad. Fuck that dude.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

A lot of the Nazi medical research was used as well. You could argue that since the people who performed these experiments were war criminals, all that research should just have been dumped.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Originally posted by FraserB
    A lot of the Nazi medical research was used as well. You could argue that since the people who performed these experiments were war criminals, all that research should just have been dumped.
    But that would be ridiculous and counterproductive, because you'd have to also then dump ALL medical research that was criminal, which would be pretty much ALL medical research performed by everyone pre-1950s, which of course has nothing to do with anything in this thread. So lets not go down ridiculous comparison road today, mm k?

I'm surprise this is even news.

It was generally understood that this was happening, and it was even parodied in the movie Dr. Strangelove.

As WWII wound down, there was a mad dash between Russia and the US to scour the German landscape and seize Nazi expertise and technology.

Nazi scientists and industrialists were eager for a post-war safe haven. In some cases, they negotiated their destination, and in some cases they were just carted off as the spoils of war.

The American space program is a direct continuation of the German V2 Rocket program.

As Von Braun himself observed: There is no extinction, only transformation.

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Holy flock. Youre like the 6th person in a row to not read the article.

WTF is wrong with you people? Were not talking about scientists and industrialists, were talking about war criminals and the architects of the genocide.

Jesus HP Christopher! Its almost like you people are defending it.

Originally posted by Robin Goodfellow
    I'm surprise this is even news.

It was generally understood that this was happening, and it was even parodied in the movie Dr. Strangelove.

As WWII wound down, there was a mad dash between Russia and the US to scour the German landscape and seize Nazi expertise and technology.

Nazi scientists and industrialists were eager for a post-war safe haven. In some cases, they negotiated their destination, and in some cases they were just carted off as the spoils of war.

The American space program is a direct continuation of the German V2 Rocket program.

As Von Braun himself observed: There is no extinction, only transformation.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by 01RedDX

Well it's nice that you don't have a problem with it, but to some people it's an affront to humanity.
    I doubt he meant that.

I interpreted it as...

"Well no shit, it's the US, morality and laws don't apply to them."

In other words, no one is surprised, or should be surprised. Old news that the US took anyone they thought might be useful. Scientists to propagandists and spin doctors. The US isn't picky.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by 01RedDX
    Well it's nice that you don't have a problem with it, but to some people it's an affront to humanity.

OOoooo the humaaaanity....

Last edited by codetrap; 10-29-2014 at 02:05 PM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    Bicycle

Wololo

My Ride
    Nothing

Holy flock. Youre like the 6th person in a row to not read the article.

WTF is wrong with you people? Were not talking about scientists and industrialists, were talking about war criminals and the architects of the genocide.

Who cares. They did bad things, then they did good things.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    G37X

It depends on your definition of a "Nazi." There is a difference between a German soldier who fought for his country (such as my Opa) and a "kill the joows sieg heiler brown shirt Heinrich Himmler." The treaty of Versailles was the biggest load of shit ever put on paper if you ask me. Read that from a German's perspective and tell me what you would've done. The Allies fucked Germany hardcore with that stupid treaty. And they paid the price.

More to your point; I think it's ludicrous that the Americans conveniently used "valuable" Germans for companies such as: Disney, NASA and more. Von Braun's V2 rocket did a lot of damage but yet he wasn't charged with any war crimes. It's the usual make an example out of a few and scoot the rest in with a new identity.
    Last edited by Hallowed_point; 10-29-2014 at 03:45 PM.

Expertise encompasses military knowledge - not just scientific.

From the Wiki on Operation Paperclip:

"[US Intelligence Operatives]... targeted scientific, military and industrial installations (and their employees) for their know-how"

Yes, because clearly anyone who doesn't interpret things exactly as you do advocating a completely contrary position.

Truly though, your indignation is somewhat surprising. There's plenty of injustice currently taking place, without having to monday morning quarterback the past.

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Originally posted by Robin Goodfellow

Truly though, your indignation is somewhat surprising. There's plenty of injustice currently taking place, without having to monday morning quarterback the past.
    My indignation in this thread is from the lack of reading comprehension.

You may resume justifying why this sick revalation is actually 'no big deal'.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast