Quantcast
TPMS Reader... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: TPMS Reader...

Default TPMS Reader...

I just put in my winter tires on my 2012 Honda CRV. I didn't realize that even though I have two sets of tires with TPMS sensors, I would still need to reset it with each tire change.

So in order to save time and prevent getting ripped off $40 each time Calgary Honda wants to charge me for their 10 minutes of "programming", I want to get the ATEQ Quickset tool and do it myself for $150. Unfortunately, I need to know the ID of my winter TPMS sensor so I can enter into the tool - which was never written down when the tires were installed on the rims.

Anyone have any ideas where I can get the TPMS ID's read on my current winters? The Quickset tool is able to read what's in the car's computer now for my summers. I realize I can buy a reader for another $150 or so but I see no use for this in the future after getting the ID.

Thanks.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Sorry I can't help you with this but I do have the same problem with my Odyssey. It's not the cost that bugs me it's that I have to take time to make an apt and go down there. It's a waste of time.

I did make an apt to have my TPMS reset for next week at Calgary Honda. They are not the ones that put the sensors in so I'm wondering how they will find out the ID, or does Honda have a tool that works automatically and the aftermarket reader you have/plan to get doesn't.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I can't help you, but this is the reason I ended up not buying a second set of rims for the winter tires on my Odyssey.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

According to what I've read and watched on YouTube, one would only need to have the ID's of both your winter and summer tires and store that into the ATEQ Quickset tool. Since my summer's are still stored in the ECU, I just a tool to read the ID's on my winters that I just installed.

Looks like I can buy just the wireless reader (or as a package with the quickset tool), but don't see a need for it after this one time.

If I had known that I would still need to reset it each time I do a tire change, I definitely wouldn't have wasted the money to buy the TPMS, but now it seems like a waste not to use it since the tool would cost less than the TPMS sensors.
    Last edited by hctu; 11-10-2014 at 03:47 PM.

My Ride

Airdrie Honda charges 20 bux for reprogram is that helps you out. I'm too far, but if you're in the far North it may be worth it.

Is this specifically a Honda problem? I could swap wheels on the Cayenne and it would just pick up the new ones as if nothing changed.

Thanks for letting me know but it's not the $20/$40 that bothers me this time, it's having to find time again in 6 months to repeat again..

My Ride

Originally posted by Mibz
    Is this specifically a Honda problem? I could swap wheels on the Cayenne and it would just pick up the new ones as if nothing changed.
    It's not unique to Honda and actually top of the line Odyssey Touring has room in the ECU for 2 settings so it's never a problem after first program. My BMWs had ABS speed sensors where it would monitor the speed of each wheel and if one tire went down in pressure that would slightly change the speed of that wheel and set off a warning. Your Porsche may have the same system. I prefer that type of system as it eliminates sensor issues with snow tires.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Not that it helps but my ford has a TPMS relearn tool that basically just makes the car pick up the new sensors without needing to know the ID of the sensor.

My Ride
    N54B30O1

OP: Where are you buying the ATEQ Quickset tool from? I've been unable to find anyone that can bring them in locally.

Originally posted by CokerRat
    OP: Where are you buying the ATEQ Quickset tool from? I've been unable to find anyone that can bring them in locally.
    This seems to be the only place I can find it in Canada. They said it was about $20 for shipping.

http://www.racingking.ca/tpms-tools-...kset-p-60.html
    Last edited by hctu; 11-12-2014 at 10:47 AM.