Quantcast
Shaw Internet rate increase & End to friends data - Page 11 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaw Internet rate increase & End to friends data

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by thetransporter
    what will the upload be probably 1 or 5
    I saw somewhere today that the upload will be 5
    I don't really upload much but that is so low

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Not sure why so many people are hell bent on having a massive upload for. It takes a pretty serious user to ever saturate a upload rate on most accounts.

Most users out there could use 1 or 2 and never had any issues at all. And also the more upload bandwidth given to users the less download speed there is.

I get anywhere from 40-95mbit depending on the time and where I'm downloading from (usually higher than 50 for sure). At least 100mbit was an option. Those that couldn't get it in their area would drop down to 50mbit

But I guess that looks bad for Shaw, saying up to 100mbit but a lot of neighborhoods couldn't actually get it...

Originally posted by thetransporter
    what will the upload be probably 1 or 5
    community.shaw.ca
    Hello everyone,
    Just heard from our management teams in regards to an official statement about the upload speed on the new Internet 120 plan.

We will be launching in early 2015 Internet 120 which will have an upload speed of 6 mbps. We are confident this is more than enough bandwidth to meet the upload needs of our customers, given that the majority of typical services employed by our customers fall well below 6 mbps.

Hope this helps!
    Cheers,
    Brayden
    People don't want/need over 6 mbps because they've never been able to use it in the first place!!
    Originally posted by Xtrema
    ZenOps is like everyone's crazy uncle.
    Originally posted by DayGlow
    How do you respond to stupid?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Jesus fucking christ Rob Anders, learn to read your own links.
    Originally posted by Seth1968
    Zenops: Ok, but remember my dick is made of nickle.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

ROFL.

When I am on vacation, I can stream full HD from my home to my iPad using AirVideoHD.

Plenty of use cases. Uploading raw photos at 29mbit is so much more pleasant than 6. Lol

Originally posted by benyl
    Uploading raw photos at 29mbit is so much more pleasant than 6. Lol
    Brayden disagrees with you!

I miss my 56K modem! It was so much fun waiting hours for stuff to download/upload!!
    Originally posted by Xtrema
    ZenOps is like everyone's crazy uncle.
    Originally posted by DayGlow
    How do you respond to stupid?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Jesus fucking christ Rob Anders, learn to read your own links.
    Originally posted by Seth1968
    Zenops: Ok, but remember my dick is made of nickle.

Yes, quite the logic from Shaw. People on our system don't upload over 6, because we scared everyone off who uses more than 6 to other providers a looong time ago.

Therefore 6 is more than enough for everyone.

Haha!

Although truthfully, Canada is more of a nation of content sappers than content creators.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 01-23-2015 at 11:29 PM.
    Cocoa $8,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by benyl
    ROFL.

When I am on vacation, I can stream full HD from my home to my iPad using AirVideoHD.

Plenty of use cases. Uploading raw photos at 29mbit is so much more pleasant than 6. Lol
    Then you simply fall into the category of knowing what you need. The amount of people out there that need it are far less.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

From what I read before, cable was never really designed for upload, it was more to get data (tv) to the home. Regardless, I love my 25 mbps upload, I got like 5 Roku 3s at my parents place and they watch my media library over the Internet, and when I go on trips I take a ton of pictures and videos and upload to smugmug, much more pleasant.

Anyone defending piss poor Shaw upload (and download if your area is saturated) speeds just needs to get over the fact that Telus of today is not the Telus of yesteryear... While Shaw pretty much doesn't really change, other than the cost of the service. Been a loyal Shaw customer for 7 years before making the switch. If you have the choice between fiber or a copper cable, fiber wins all the time, so if you can get a fiber connection from Telus, I don't think that one should even consider Shaw (unless Shaw is doing ftth as well, I don't know)

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

For me Telus was a) cheaper (on the 6 month promo, will re-evaluate in August) b) faster (due to neighborhood over saturation)

We live in an era where there is 0 fees to have internet setup by both providers and there is no requirement to have a contract (unless you want a free tv from Telus which is stupid). You also do not need to give a month's notice to cancel.

As a result, there is no incentive to be loyal to a company. In 6 months if Shaw is cheaper and has their network sorted out (talk to your neighbours) I'll jump back if Telus doesn't give me a promo rate.

My Ride
    A big red Taco, '99 4Runner

I am seriously considering a switch to Telus. But I have a question regarding their cable box. What kind of connection do you need to have it connected for TV? Coax, phone, or Ethernet? I have Coax and ethernet behind the TV cabinet, but would hate to pay for an installation of a phone jack, just so I could watch TV.

My Ride
    RSTi

Originally posted by ZMan2k2
    I am seriously considering a switch to Telus. But I have a question regarding their cable box. What kind of connection do you need to have it connected for TV? Coax, phone, or Ethernet? I have Coax and ethernet behind the TV cabinet, but would hate to pay for an installation of a phone jack, just so I could watch TV.
    It's Ethernet so you should be fine.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

It's all ethernet based, though I think you can also get wireless TV receivers (don't quote me on that)

My Ride

Thanks guys. Waiting for a call back from Shaw, to see if I can get the bill reduced some by threatening to switch to Telus, or whether I'll have to make the jump. According to the Telus website, there is FTTH available in my area, so we'll see.

My Ride

Just got off the phone with Shaw, got their standard $15 discount per month for the next 2 years, and I keep all my grandfathered package stuff. I get all the Shaw channels, except movie channels for 90, internet for 67 and phone for 15.

In the end, I would save 160 a year with Telus over the length of the 3 year contract, but I'm happy with 167.75 a month for the next 2 years.

I don't do a lot of downloading, mainly XBOXONE games, so the 250Gb of Highspeed 25 works for me.

I'm happy.

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

Originally posted by pheoxs

We live in an era where there is 0 fees to have internet setup by both providers and there is no requirement to have a contract (unless you want a free tv from Telus which is stupid). You also do not need to give a month's notice to cancel.
    FYI, you can also get an additional 6 months at the promo rate if you dont want the TV if you sing up for the contract.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by A2VR6

FYI, you can also get an additional 6 months at the promo rate if you dont want the TV if you sing up for the contract.
    1 year or 3 year contract though? The normal thing is 6 month promo pricing without a contract (which is what im currently on)

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

1 year or 3 year contract though?
    I believe its on a 3 year. Kills your flexibility to switch but if Shaw is junk in your area, might be worth it.

Seems every time I pay my bill it goes up... Thinking of hopping to Telus so I can grab $50/100mb/s for 6 months...

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

It's all ethernet based, though I think you can also get wireless TV receivers (don't quote me on that)
    Telus also works with coax if you don't have Ethernet for example, and yes they do have wireless as well.

Fun fact for those who care. If you connect your telus boxes using coaxial, you can actually plug in another device via Ethernet cable to the Telus box, giving you a wired connection for a device in your Av cabinet.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast