Quantcast
Gastown Rent-a-Car - Yellowknife Don't Use! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Gastown Rent-a-Car - Yellowknife Don't Use!

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Default Gastown Rent-a-Car - Yellowknife Don't Use!

I really don't care, but I figure hopefully this shows up in search results for someone else someday and save them the trouble.

About a month and a half ago I was looking for a car rental, and every company that is in Yellowknife was pretty expensive. I did a search and found a local company called Gastown Rent-A-Car (also known as Royal Rent-A-Car). I spoke on the phone with a gentlemen who seemed nice enough, explained how things are around Yellowknife as I have never been. I asked what kind of vehicles they offer and was offered a Ford Escape AWD for $75 a day, with 25km daily limit (all companies have this over there for some reason..). He took my name, my number and said I was good to go. I never got any confirmation by e-mail or anything, but I took that as a small business approach and that I am good to go.

Anyways, as my trip is now 2 weeks away, I tried calling them on Friday last week and couldn't get through at all. I tried again on the weekend, during their listed business hours, but still no luck. I was starting to think they folded until I was able to get through to them today.

I asked them to confirm my Escape rental and the guy had no idea what I was talking about, and didn't seem to care. I asked if he could look, and he said he would call me back. 2 hours later, I didn't hear back so I called again and the same guy picked up and was like "oh yah...". He asked someone in the background and said it should be back by then. I asked him how does the vehicle being back confirm that I will get it, and that it won't be rented to someone else. He said that it's "on the board" and to call tomorrow AM to talk to the manager (Roy). In my attempt to reach them the previous week I found their e-mail and sent them an e-mail, and this Roy guy actually replied today (after I called) and said that the vehicle is not available.

I don't know what kind of mickey mouse organization they are running but it's terrible. They can't confirm anything, they don't know if you will get a car, and when I confirmed the car a while ago, they said everything was good, yet it clearly is not and way given to someone else.

Moral of the story, stay away from these clowns. Ended up booking a full size sedan instead as I heard it will be sufficient from National Car rental. Just wanted to give you guys a heads up if anyone for some reason ends up in Yellowknife.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Default Re: Gastown Rent-a-Car - Yellowknife Don't Use!

Originally posted by eblend
    I really don't care, but I figure hopefully this shows up in search results for someone else someday and save them the trouble.

About a month and a half ago I was looking for a car rental, and every company that is in Yellowknife was pretty expensive. I did a search and found a local company called Gastown Rent-A-Car (also known as Royal Rent-A-Car). I spoke on the phone with a gentlemen who seemed nice enough, explained how things are around Yellowknife as I have never been. I asked what kind of vehicles they offer and was offered a Ford Escape AWD for $75 a day, with 25km daily limit (all companies have this over there for some reason..). He took my name, my number and said I was good to go. I never got any confirmation by e-mail or anything, but I took that as a small business approach and that I am good to go.

Anyways, as my trip is now 2 weeks away, I tried calling them on Friday last week and couldn't get through at all. I tried again on the weekend, during their listed business hours, but still no luck. I was starting to think they folded until I was able to get through to them today.

I asked them to confirm my Escape rental and the guy had no idea what I was talking about, and didn't seem to care. I asked if he could look, and he said he would call me back. 2 hours later, I didn't hear back so I called again and the same guy picked up and was like "oh yah...". He asked someone in the background and said it should be back by then. I asked him how does the vehicle being back confirm that I will get it, and that it won't be rented to someone else. He said that it's "on the board" and to call tomorrow AM to talk to the manager (Roy). In my attempt to reach them the previous week I found their e-mail and sent them an e-mail, and this Roy guy actually replied today (after I called) and said that the vehicle is not available.

I don't know what kind of mickey mouse organization they are running but it's terrible. They can't confirm anything, they don't know if you will get a car, and when I confirmed the car a while ago, they said everything was good, yet it clearly is not and way given to someone else.

Moral of the story, stay away from these clowns. Ended up booking a full size sedan instead as I heard it will be sufficient from National Car rental. Just wanted to give you guys a heads up if anyone for some reason ends up in Yellowknife.
    Most of these "Rent a Car" shops especially in smaller towns are usually subsidized through other companies. Look at Uhaul in remote towns as an example. Most of the time they are through some gas station or towing company or heck some post office.

This is why service sucks at these places lol.

Renting a car in Yukon/NWT is really a hassle.

Be careful. A lot of companies don't allow you drive off major highways. Or paved roads. I rented a truck for a week in Whitehorse last summer for $1600.