Quantcast
981 Porsche Cayman GT4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 981 Porsche Cayman GT4

My Ride
    Grimace

Default 981 Porsche Cayman GT4

Finally, the rumored Cayman GT4 has arrived. Pricing starts at $96k. That gets you 385 hp from the Carrera S derived 3.8 L flat six (400 hp in the 911s though). This results in a 0-60 of 4.4s which makes it as fast as a C2 GTS. Optional carbon fiber buckets, carbon ceramic brakes and all kinds of goodies. Don't know why know one is talking about it here!!!!!

Styling is similar in nature to the GT3 and once all 911/cayman/boxster change to turbos, this along with the GT3 and GT3 RS will remain the only naturally aspirated engines. This car only comes in amanual though so que mibz whining

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

best lookin Porsche ever made right there IMO

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Default Re: 981 Porsche Cayman GT4

Originally posted by schocker

Don't know why know one is talking about it here!!!!!

because beyond only cares about turbo awd Porsches for less than 50 grand .

Oh yea and $ 96K STARTING

Meaning because this is a Porsche you aren't getting this thing out the door south of 110 minimum. And you still don't get a 911.

Im sure its a great car, and will drive great but something about the Caymans has always turned me off...

385 HP isnt really that much either (0.1s faster to 60 than my 2er, sounds heavy)

This would be a great track rat. But we dont have a track

/bmw fanboi hating on porsche
    Last edited by killramos; 02-05-2015 at 02:57 PM.

My Ride
    DA6, R59

I do want

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

Default Re: Re: 981 Porsche Cayman GT4

Originally posted by killramos

This would be a great track rat. But we dont have a track

/bmw fanboi hating on porsche
    This car, like the GT3, is a streetable track car. If people are looking for a street car, this will be a poorer choice than the S or the GTS.

385 hp isn't up in the Vette range, but is still a lot of power for a weekend track car. I think they really nailed it with this car for the segment they are after. Next, let's hope for the cup car version.

My Ride
    '20 SS 1LE

Hnnnnnghhhhhhhhhh

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

oh god, it's good.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Default Re: Re: Re: 981 Porsche Cayman GT4

Originally posted by JustinL

This car, like the GT3, is a streetable track car. If people are looking for a street car, this will be a poorer choice than the S or the GTS.

385 hp isn't up in the Vette range, but is still a lot of power for a weekend track car. I think they really nailed it with this car for the segment they are after. Next, let's hope for the cup car version.
    Yea i definitely know its more than enough car for me on a track. But for a street car like you say its not very suitable. But 90% of people who buy them will never drive it off a road so i think my criticism is valid.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Absolutely love this car and the sound it makes is amazing.

You can't compare a fake M car to this. Anyone buying this car isn't interested in 0-60 times either. JustinL hit the nail on the head.

But 90% of people who buy them will never drive it off a road so i think my criticism is valid.
    I wouldn't want to drive my car off a road either. I would want to keep it on a public road or road course.
    Last edited by KRyn; 02-05-2015 at 03:22 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I like the caymans better than the 911's these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Love how it looks and I'm sure it'll be a great drivers car. $100K is getting up there, but it's a Porsche product, not a Chevrolet.

Maybe they'll do a GT4 RS?
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

My Ride
    Grimace

Default Re: Re: 981 Porsche Cayman GT4

Meaning because this is a Porsche you aren't getting this thing out the door south of 110 minimum. And you still don't get a 911.
    I built one with the option paint, carbon seats, PCCB, sport chrono and a couple other things and it was $120k

The GT3 is still my favorite porsche, but this can be in my top probably lol

Don't forget this though:
    Porsche 911 going all-turbo this year save for GT3 and GT3 RS
    http://www.autoblog.com/2015/01/23/p...o-save-gt3-rs/

Jonathon Ramsey
    The coming Porsche 911 GT3 RS will represent another high-water mark for the brand, and another milestone. Its 500-or-so horsepower and extreme aero are predicted to lop more than five seconds off the 7:20 Nürburgring lap time of the current GT3, making it "comfortably less" than 7:20. Beyond that, its naturally-aspirated 3.8-liter will form the basis of the turbocharged engines going into the standard range of 911s later this year as 2016 models.

That's right – if you're looking for a sub-GT3 911 that gulps its air without compressed assistance, then you've only got a few months to get a new one into your garage. Emissions regulations are the reason, of course, with Porsche's R&D chief Wolfgang Hatz saying that, "Every new model will have lower CO2 than before," and "if you look at euro per g/km, then it's turbo." We don't know what the engine lineup will look like, however; a few months ago Car reported that the base 911 would get a smaller-displacement version of the engine, while the S would stick with 3.8-liter displacement and jump to 520 horsepower, which is the same as the current Turbo.

After that, Hatz said, "at the end of the decade electrification has to be the next huge step." That means a hybrid 911 is being cooked up somewhere. Yet even as the brand leaps into the new, there's a chance it could dip a toe back into the old: the 911 GT3 RS will launch with a PDK, but Hatz's team is considering adding the option of a seven-speed manual.

Elsewhere in the range, the Cayman GT4 is being engineered by Porsche Motorsport as an entry-level racer, with more power than the current Cayman GTS to go with some serious weight loss. They are also developing a track-only model for privateers. The standard Boxster and Cayman will get turbocharged flat-four engines, but there'll be a sporty Boxster that also loses weight and gets more power than the 325-hp Boxster GTS. And that mid-level supercar that's been floating in the ether for years and supposedly sent to purgatory again just last November? It's on the way by 2020 "at the latest," and will use a version of the new V8 that will eventually go into the Cayenne and Panamera.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by KRyn
    Absolutely love this car and the sound it makes is amazing.

You can't compare a fake M car to this. Anyone buying this car isn't interested in 0-60 times either. JustinL hit the nail on the head.

I wouldn't want to drive my car off a road either. I would want to keep it on a public road or road course.
    I'm not trying to make a comparison to the M235i i was just trying to provide some context ( and Im familiar with my car so that's what i used ) to the numbers Porsche provided as well as a guess at the weight of the car. And that aside from the horsepower is the ONLY stat Porsche has provided.

If no one cared about the car's 0-60 then why is that the stat Porsche provided?

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by EM2FTL
    Hnnnnnghhhhhhhhhh

My Ride
    Grimace

I'm not trying to make a comparison to the M235i i was just trying to provide some context ( and Im familiar with my car so that's what i used ) to the numbers Porsche provided as well as a guess at the weight of the car. And that aside from the horsepower is the ONLY stat Porsche has provided.

If no one cared about the car's 0-60 then why is that the stat Porsche provided?
    That is the stat I provided. Top speed is 295 km/h.
    Unladen weight (DIN) 1,340 kg
    Unladen weight (EG) 1,415 kg

EU/Germany:
    1. Leergewicht EU ( Car with 90% fuel, 68kg driver, 7kg luggage (75kg). Latest EU definition uses only driver @ 75kg )
    2. Leergewicht DIN ( Car with 90% fuel, no driver, no luggage )

This is 30kg more than a base cayman. Base C2 is 60 kg more.

Full specs:
    http://www.porsche.com/canada/en/mod...turesandspecs/

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

Every car manufacturer posts plenty of stats on their models that not everyone cars about. Don't really see your point.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by schocker

Full specs:
    http://www.porsche.com/canada/en/mod...turesandspecs/
    Didn't realize they had them online, i was also referencing all the articles that i have read on the car which only provided HP and 0-60.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by Skyline_Addict

Every car manufacturer posts plenty of stats on their models that not everyone cars about. Don't really see your point.
    I was referencing his "nobody cares about" comment, whereas yours is "not everyone cares about".

I just think that alot of you guys give way to much credit to the guys who will buy these cars. You assume that they are all hardened race drivers who spend 30 hours a weekend on the track.

i think reality is a bit closer to:

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

And there is nothing wrong with that. But the average GT4 buyer isnt exactly fernando alonso.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

I didn't state that, but I will reiterate. People who are interested in purchasing a Cayman GT4 are not buying the car for its ability to accelerate to 60 miles per hour as quickly as possible.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I didn't state that, but I will reiterate. People who are interested in purchasing a Cayman GT4 are not buying the car for its ability to accelerate to 60 miles per hour as quickly as possible.

Anyone buying this car isn't interested in 0-60 times either.
    Just because you say you didn't say something doesn't make it true...

Please elaborate on how "Anyone buying this car isnt interested in 0-60 times" is different than "no one cares about 0-60 times"

Im not trying to call you out, but i am just trying to offer a legitimate criticism of a car which you dismissed with an insult and a "your point doesn't matter"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast