Quantcast
2014 Chevrolet Silverado factory running board fastener/bolt issues - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Chevrolet Silverado factory running board fastener/bolt issues

My Ride
    Lease

Default 2014 Chevrolet Silverado "GFX brand" step board running board issues

Not sure if anyone here are driving these trucks.

Few weeks ago I noticed ONE bolt on the garage floor (didn't clue in wtf going on, whatever)...

Driving home, made a turn, start hearing clunking... got home went to passenger side and find this.

Looked under the truck (didn't notice before), half a dozen of these bolts just snapped off.

They literally just snapped off under weather, didn't high centre the truck on a snow bank or nothing (still got all bolts), cast iron material is so brittle. It's brutal.

Anyone working at GM see this problem?
    Last edited by TomcoPDR; 02-19-2015 at 06:00 PM.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

That's nuts man!

For them all to fail like that at the same time...and they all look bent too...so random.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

I'm assuming that will still be under warranty? Let us know what the dealership says about it.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-04-2020 at 10:23 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Default Re: 2014 Chevrolet Silverado factory running board fastener/bolt issues

Originally posted by TomcoPDR
    Anyone working at GM see this problem?
    Yes. But those steps are RPOs which means they are installed by the dealer during PDI. I wonder if they weren't torqued properly or installed correctly?

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

Default Re: Re: 2014 Chevrolet Silverado factory running board fastener/bolt issues

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

Yes. But those steps are RPOs which means they are installed by the dealer during PDI. I wonder if they weren't torqued properly or installed correctly?
    They were over torqued. 100%

I'd assume the truck dealer moved ShitForBrains over from tire rotation duties as he was snapping off wheel lugs hourly. Next stop? Mounting the licence plate frames.

Having dealt with five wheel lugs being snapped off in the last year from idiotic unskilled labour, I have zero tolerance for this shit. FYI five lugs (two locking) at two tire shops and a car dealer.
    Last edited by CanmoreOrLess; 02-14-2015 at 12:35 PM.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Default Re: Re: 2014 Chevrolet Silverado factory running board fastener/bolt issues

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

I don't even understand why they'd be using such low quality bolts. I mean how much money would they save by using something standard, like $5 a truck?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Chinese hardware no doubt - probably cut instead of rolled treads. Used to see this in the aviation business where some suppliers tried to cut corners (those suppliers didnt last).

5$ a vehicle x 100,000 units = 500,000$ saved = greater profit margins for share holders.
    Last edited by revelations; 02-14-2015 at 01:24 PM.

My Ride
    Lease

Combination of all Beyonder comments above (thanks)... took the board out for dealership to look at on Monday.

It's almost as if it was designed from a grade 3 science/mechanical project, cast iron Made in China (why the fuck would you use cast iron on a flex part?), assembled in Mexico.

Kinda stupid if they just warranty with the exact same part though.

My Ride

Originally posted by revelations

5$ a vehicle x 100,000 units = 500,000$ saved = greater profit margins for share holders.
    Yeah, but as TwinCam mentioned, these are dealership add-ons.

I guess it probably all comes as a kit though from GM doesn't it?

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Shoulda bought a ford

My Ride

Originally posted by Shlade
    Shoulda bought a ford
    And watch your insurance rates sky-rocket in a few years when insurance companies realize the cost of aluminum repair

My Ride
    13 AUDI A4, 14 TUNDRA SR5, 12 VW GOLF TDI

shed off some weight my friend

JK aside, I also had similar issue on my toyota bolt on side steps not as bad as your but those plastic pieces(where you step on) basically disapeared every 6 month driving on highway
    Last edited by muse017; 02-14-2015 at 04:19 PM.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Yeah, but as TwinCam mentioned, these are dealership add-ons.

I guess it probably all comes as a kit though from GM doesn't it?
    Yep bolts come with it we don't supply them as a dealer.

My Ride
    Lease

Update: So when I started the thread, it was based immediately when the incident happened. My truck actually is a GM "GFX" outfitted truck; it's just that I actually had the dealership remove all "GFX" flat black decals at delivery; just so I'm not reminded I'm driving a pimp ur ride style "GFX" (at the time of posting, I didn't think of it as aftermarket; thought it was more along the lines of TRD to Toyota, SVT to Ford, HFP to Honda, etc..)

So after two GM dealers kinda shrug their shoulders at the issue. Dawn on me to search and found http://gfxtrucks.com/ an outfitter that does high volume GM truck accessories. (kinda "approved, endorsed, contracted" GM product or what not in Canada)

So emailed my photos to actual GFX corporation. Truck wasn't high-centred, step bars weren't damaged and the failed fasteners, and I don't even weigh that much.

GFX got back to me right away. The answer from GFX (as suggested by a few people), they had some over tightening issues. So anyway, they're going to send replacement to my local dealer and get them switched out.

Very nice to see they're standing behind their close relationship with GM of course.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I was going to say those don't look like the factory GM steps I've seen, it makes sense now that they are GFX.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

inb4 dealership overtorques them again.

thats pretty unreal. the design of the step itself also doesn't help.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

I would take this as an opportunity to get rid of those widowmakers and get steps worth having. Try stepping on the chrome part with wet shoes and see how bad your life gets.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    Lease

Originally posted by ShermanEF9
    inb4 dealership overtorques them again.

thats pretty unreal. the design of the step itself also doesn't help.

Originally posted by SKR
    I would take this as an opportunity to get rid of those widowmakers and get steps worth having. Try stepping on the chrome part with wet shoes and see how bad your life gets.
    I always love the "LUND" (or lund style) full plastic grippy full boards, the ones you slip your entire boot in... Always had the Lund put on with lower model trucks, but this one came with the works.

Update:

- GFX (upfitter that does a lot of GM Canada). Super quick on response, awesome customer service reply, no problems taking care of customers (oh yes, we knew some slip thru inspection, we'll take care of you). Sent warranty replacement to local dealer.
    - Southgate Chevrolet GM dealer, awesome for installing and documenting the warranty repair.
    - All done within (to me) extremely quick timely manner within car industry, imo.

YES, it's a replacement (full replacement), of what seem to me, the same product/design/engineering that failed. I have my "opinion" about that whole design/engineer; but, factually, GFX and Southgate dealer; awesome to deal with for warranty on this issue.

While waiting on the install of GFX replacement, walked in the dealer showroom... I would love THESE (legit GM factory?) tubular step bar instead. 4 brackets, step bar welded onto brackets, brackets bolted into cab chassis.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast