day of employment.

(2) When an employee terminates employment and a termination

notice is not required, the employer must pay the employee’s

earnings not later than 10 consecutive days after the last day of

employment.

(3) When an employee is required to give a termination notice but

terminates employment without doing so, the employer must pay

the employee’s earnings not later than 10 consecutive days after the

date on which the notice would have expired if it had been given.
    Is this federal or provincial regulation because it really depends how the company the OP is currently working for is regulated.

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

Originally posted by holden

If you give your employer 2 weeks notice, 99% of the time you are going to be paid for those last 2 weeks. The only question is whether they will have you actually work those 2 weeks or terminate you with 2 weeks pay.
    Within the probationary period at any job they can terminate you without notice or reasoning I'm pretty sure, and aren't required to pay you any severance.

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Your employer can't fire you if you give your two weeks notice. You taking another job does not give them a valid reason to fire you (unless you are in the probationary period, I suppose they could trump up an excuse).

Honestly, its a two way street; if you dont trust them to keep you on the two weeks/make a big deal out of it, then you owe them no such reciprocation.

Some people have an awfully big hard-on for the employer in this situation. At the end of the day, you need to do what is best for YOU, as your employer certainly will do that for themselves.

Assuming OP is in a provincially regulated workplace, he is under no obligation to give his current employer any notice that he is quitting - page 4 of the 'Termination of Employment and Temporary Layoff' section of Alberta's Employment Standards (link).

Thus the decision of whether to provide notification to his current employer or not is totally in the OP's hands.

Last edited by CanmoreOrLess; 02-28-2015 at 03:41 PM.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-04-2020 at 10:20 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

So basically, he should take all the risk? That makes zero sense

If a company says you've "burned bridges" while looking out for yourself, that probably isnt a company you want to deal with. Its the same old bullshit, its not "personal, just business" until they try and pull crap like this and make it personal.

Originally posted by speedog
    Assuming OP is in a provincially regulated workplace, he is under no obligation to give his current employer any notice that he is quitting - page 4 of the 'Termination of Employment and Temporary Layoff' section of Alberta's Employment Standards (link).

Thus the decision of whether to provide notification to his current employer or not is totally in the OP's hands.
    ^Bingo.

An employer can't NOT pay you, just because you didn't "give notice". But in not giving notice, he can hold back the pay the proper number of days...but he still has to pay you all your wages, plus any holiday pay owed.

In construction, giving an employer notice that you are leaving will often result in the "Oh...sorry, we're slow this week..stay home". So unless you have a great working relation, or don't want to burn any bridges, giving notice will often bite you in the ass.

But construction and the whole "office type" sector (including O&G) are two completely different ball games.

In construction, an employer can lay you off without any notice whatsoever, due to shortage of work. And this happens ALL the time. They don't want to tell you "Oh there's only two weeks left of work", because they know you'll bail the very next day.

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

Originally posted by speedog

He's in probation period - if he gives notice they may just say K-thx-Bye and not waste any more time investing in him. If he's actually productive right NOW then they might keep him. But that first 3 months is completely open. I'd be nervous giving more than a few days notice if I was OP.
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

I don't think the employer is going to boot you before the end of your two weeks notice. It's not like you're leaving them for the competition down the street, you're moving to a different city.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

Leaving someone hanging without prior notice is a totally shitty thing to do, again I can't believe an adult would even consider doing this.

I wish I had data, I can guarantee there's a strong correlation between salary/education/age/job title and length of notice given before quitting.

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

After nearly two years on the job, one guy who reported to me quit on the day we had a loud disagreement about something that happened the night before.
    It was the day before an industry deadline day and he left the team hanging, more than likely to try and screw me.

Needless to say, he burnt his bridges and I wish him luck trying to get another job in this industry based on how he left that day. If / when I get called for a reference on him, I will be fair but will let the future employer know on what terms he left.

How you leave speaks to your character, don't be that guy. Offer 2 weeks to show you are a stand up person.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by FixedGear
    Leaving someone hanging without prior notice is a totally shitty thing to do, again I can't believe an adult would even consider doing this.

I wish I had data, I can guarantee there's a strong correlation between salary/education/age/job title and length of notice given before quitting.
    Once again, answer me WHY he should assume the risk of being without a paycheque for two weeks if he HONESTLY feels like they may give him the boot?

Its a two way street. Respect is not taken, it is EARNED. It is a totally "shitty" thing for the company to fire him upon giving notice.

So answer the question. You guys are making a business decision personal.

Originally posted by nickyh

Needless to say, he burnt his bridges and I wish him luck trying to get another job in this industry based on how he left that day. If / when I get called for a reference on him, I will be fair but will let the future employer know on what terms he left.
    Well that's a lawsuit waiting to happen. And beyond that, why would he possibly use you as a reference? He deserves to not be hired if he does

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 04:34 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Hatred

Originally posted by Khyron

He's in probation period - if he gives notice they may just say K-thx-Bye and not waste any more time investing in him. If he's actually productive right NOW then they might keep him. But that first 3 months is completely open. I'd be nervous giving more than a few days notice if I was OP.

Last time I tried to give 2 weeks notice to a company I was walked to my desk with a box loaded my stuff and sent on my way. Then for some reason hours already put into projects I worked on were being debated and they were trying to short me pay. I had to threaten to call the ALB to get the pay I deserved. I wish I just up and quit on them in one day.
    -U

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-13-2019 at 12:02 AM.

My Ride
    Hatred

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Just wondering, was there any indication in advance that they would act like this?

It is just flat out unprofessional IMO
    towards the end it was becoming more apparent how unprofessional they were. But i was still trying to be professional and do the right thing. Which was a mistake, I really didn't expect being put in a position were I had to call the ALB.
    -U

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

I can't say he quit without giving notice?
    But I won't go into the details but I feel it's unfair he dumped his team in a deadline.

It will be hard for him to explain his leaving and getting a new job without using me or my boss as a reference if he wants to get a job back in industry, but good to know about about what I can / can't say.
    I would not trash the guy as I know that is not professional and would probably only say I can confirm the dates he worked and that would speak volumes in my silence.

I start a new job this summer - my current employer has known for about 8 months. I'd never leave a post without prior notification, unless maybe I worked at Taco Time or 7-11.

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 04:34 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast