Quantcast
Job leaving ettiquite - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Job leaving ettiquite

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Respect is earned through trust. The company trusted him enough to hire him, and with their business. Giving them advanced notice is simply a demonstration of trust in the other direction.

We will have to agree to disagree. The trust they extended him at the beginning is shown by the individual showing up, doing a good job, and doing what is required/expected of them for the payment the company agreed with.

Again, you are making this personal, and it isn't personal. The company hires you and pays you money for X job. Simple as that.

I am not saying he SHOULDNT give notice. I've always gave notice, like you, as soon as possible. But if I did not trust my employer or they had shown prior dishonesty? Clearly this is a position the OP is in, or else why ask us? The trust is lacking. So he needs to "govern himself accordingly". If the company had to do layoffs right now, he'd be gone with zero notice.

If a company holds it against you for protecting yourself, thats not a company I want to work for

And for the record, no project should be so poorly managed that out of a team, one person quitting the day before it is due kills it (unless said employee wasn't doing their job). That smacks of poor management, that has nothing to do with the employee.

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Again, you are making this personal, and it isn't personal. The company hires you and pays you money for X job. Simple as that.
    people with careers don't think this way.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

People with any business sense do.

At the end of the day, you are a number to a company. Anyone that believes a company/organization places YOUR needs over it's own are hilariously naive. If the boss man says "layoff this many people", it doesnt matter if you are his best friend, you'll be gone if there is need.

Its business. Like I said, "govern yourself accordingly". If you fault someone for that... Well, there isnt anything further to be said. And for the record:

http://www.businessdictionary.com/de...on/career.html

Anyone with a job that furthers them has a career. My career is interesting and varied, and I have no plans on not advancingin it Someday, I may start a new career, but that won't be for a long time.

Anyways OP, I hope you get it figured. Being without a paycheque when you need it is an awful thing, and I understand your concerns.

you just sound like an ignorant kid, really.
    Last edited by FixedGear; 03-01-2015 at 03:08 PM.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-13-2019 at 12:02 AM.

My Ride
    2003 Mustang Cobra

In my opinion only OP can really answer his specific situation as he is the only one who knows the relationships he has. He says he has only been in this position for 2 weeks, so I can't imagine him doing extremely valuable or important work yet as he is still probably settling into this position. Quitting at this point probably wont affect the company to much aside from them needing to replace him, which could be as easy as calling the candidate he beat out for the position and asking if they are still available.

I also cant foresee a company just telling you to not come in anymore. From their perspective yeah, they may be pissed off at you, but trying to get back at you by firing you isn't going to help them in the least. As long as you show up and do your job they shouldn't care.

In my previous position I told my team lead that I was going to pursue a new position (although it was in the same company so slightly different situation), and he was aware that I was applying and interviewing for new positions, no hard feelings.

I have also been in a situation where as a fairly new employee at a company (less than a month) I gave zero notice before leaving. After working for a couple weeks I was told 2 days prior, that I would be heading out of town for an extended period of time. I told them during my hiring process that I could not leave town for the first few weeks as I was in the process of buying a home. When they told me I was leaving town I brought this up, and they basically told me to figure it out myself. The day before I was supposed to leave town I called HR and told them that I would not be reporting the following day and that I would no longer be working for them. Not a company I wanted to work for. Yepp burnt that bridge, not concerned in the least.

Every situation is different.

Good luck OP!

I think you are all forgetting that he has only been there 2 weeks so far. The dude most likely isn't even doing any valuable work yet.

If I were the company and you told me that you are leaving in two weeks after having only been there two weeks, I'd 100% walk you out regardless of how much I like you or not. There really is no point in keeping you around and paying you a salary at that point.

The only exception is that if you are somehow doing valuable work (i.e. work that is worth your salary). Maybe this is possible and even the norm in the drafting industry...not too sure. I suppose if you are experienced you can get in there and start producing drawings asap

Just give your notice and hope for a two week (albeit unpaid) vacation.

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    And for the record, no project should be so poorly managed that out of a team, one person quitting the day before it is due kills it (unless said employee wasn't doing their job). That smacks of poor management, that has nothing to do with the employee.
    What kind of management experience are you drawing from in your career to come to this conclusion?

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    On a well managed team, every person has a part to play, and in that regard every person matters. Anytime somebody leaves unexpectedly, it impacts the rest of the team.
    Exactly this. On multidisciplinary teams in particular you'll almost never be in a situation where someone leaving the day before a deadline, without notice, won't negatively impact the team and/or project.

Default Re: Job leaving ettiquite

They aren't going to hire him back regardless if he leaves. Give the two weeks, they'll walk you out...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3