Quantcast
2015 Golf Thread - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Golf Thread

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Had an early tee time yesterday for Darcy Ranch but didn't fee like getting soaked to the ass so we cancelled.

And yea I really like Speargrass, its our go to course now as its reasonably priced and usually in great shape.

Playing Silvertip Friday, then busy on the weekend which sucks but hoping to play Canada Day and Stampeded Parade day as well.

We lucked out with the weather, it was spitting a bit as we were warming up on the driving range, but by the time we were ready to tee off the rain stopped, and the sun came out by the start on the back 9! perfect day for golf.

I played Coyote Creek in Sundre yesterday. Had about 4 minutes of rain on the 4th hole, other than that it was beautiful.

I struggled mightily, 46 on front 47 on back. Ugh.

My Ride
    04 EP3'

shot my personal best at lakeside in chestermere. 79! had a stretch where i parred 9/11 holes. usually shoot high 80's low 90's... started putting like jordan spieth where he looks at the hole when he putts ( even for long putts ), noticed my weight and lag are significantly better now. only 3 putted twice yesterday. give it a try at a practice green. might work for you

Originally posted by petoria
    shot my personal best at lakeside in chestermere. 79! had a stretch where i parred 9/11 holes. usually shoot high 80's low 90's... started putting like jordan spieth where he looks at the hole when he putts ( even for long putts ), noticed my weight and lag are significantly better now. only 3 putted twice yesterday. give it a try at a practice green. might work for you
    As in stare at the hole vs ball while putting??

Wicked round man! congrats!

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Originally posted by petoria
    Nice work on the 79 and new personal best.

How is that course... need to find some new ones in the south area. Darcy, Speargrass, Blue Devil and Mckenzie Meadows get repetitive.

Originally posted by 88CRX

How is that course... need to find some new ones in the south area. Darcy, Speargrass, Blue Devil and Mckenzie Meadows get repetitive.
    I played Chestermere about 3 weeks ago and the condition was not that great at all. I'd do Inglewood over Chestermere for sure.

If you're willing to go to Chestermere take the extra 15 minutes and head out to the Canal.

My Ride
    04 EP3'

Originally posted by vengie

As in stare at the hole vs ball while putting??

Wicked round man! congrats!
    yepp. its weird at first but the ball goes right to the hole. usually within about 4 feet from the cup now. i recommend trying it on a practice green first to get the feel. definitely not for everyone but it's working for me.

chestermere is not the greatest course imo. greens are pretty good, but the fairways aren't in the greatest condition, lots of patchy areas. i recommend strathmore (super cheap course), lakes of muirfield (short course, but in great condition ) and delacour ( a bit more challenging ).

I am a fairly big fan of Muirfield. Its a cheap course that is usually in very good shape and isn't overly busy.

I have not played Chestermere yet but have been wanting to sometime this year.

So far I'm 18 rounds in this year (including about 10 Par 3 courses)

I am having a very hard time consistently getting under 100 shots per round (98-110 average). The Par 3 at McCall I average 35-39. Best was a 32.

Not sure what I can do to get into the lower 90's.

Shot a 104 at Rivers Edge in Okotoks on Fathers Day. First 5 holes were pouring rain and miserable. Score didn't improve once it cleared though (52/52)

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Originally posted by lamp_shade_2000
    Not sure what I can do to get into the lower 90's.
    Do you know what your weaknesses are? Do you have the stats to back it up?

How much do you practice? What's your course management on any given day?

I think with these sets of questions, you should be able to quickly identify your golf game and where you need to improve. After you identify it, then you can look at fixing it.

My Ride
    XT6

Originally posted by npham
    Ok, that makes sense now lol.

What are your trackman numbers though, they still must be decent to play 7 degree of loft.
    No idea on trackman numbers never heard of that.

I can say that the Krank driver is the best I've ever hit. Low penetrating ball flight, good spin, and somewhat consistent even on off center hits.

They built a reputation on being the longest driver in the market but I think they are one of the most consistent and they might even do that better.

If you can stomach the $700-800 for a driver it's well worth it in my opinion.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

What's your course management on any given day?
    This x 100.

My scores improved significantly when I started playing for pars/boggies not birdies. I lay up on par 5's (no going for greens in 2) or when there are water hazards in play. If I'm playing out of the shit I layup as opposed to trying to crush it out of the rough with a long iron.

Do that and improve your putting will get you into the 90's with a half decent swing.

Do you know what your weaknesses are? Do you have the stats to back it up?

How much do you practice? What's your course management on any given day?

I think with these sets of questions, you should be able to quickly identify your golf game and where you need to improve. After you identify it, then you can look at fixing it.
    Consistency is my issue. My drives are getting much better, 230-260 on average. This is with a 3 wood as I am still working with my driver to reduce a mean slice. I have almost eliminated my slice completely with everything but the driver. My 50-100 yard approaches are often falling short as I am always worried about hitting it too hard. Putting has improved greatly, 2-3 putts tops. My iron shots off the fairway are hit and miss, often topping the ball and getting no loft or distance.

I do not go to the driving ranch as much as I would like. My practice is typically a par 3 which does not help my drives obviously but should be improving my approach shots more.

Not sure what you are referring to by course management.

This x 100.

My scores improved significantly when I started playing for pars/boggies not birdies. I lay up on par 5's (no going for greens in 2) or when there are water hazards in play. If I'm playing out of the shit I layup as opposed to trying to crush it out of the rough with a long iron.

Do that and improve your putting will get you into the 90's with a half decent swing.
    Agreed. I went from shooting 95-100 to shooting 85-90 simply by playing in a little more conservative fashion.

To the guy above. If you have already played 18 rounds this year and have not seen any improvement perhaps go to the range or take lessons before playing more rounds.

Consistency is my issue. My drives are getting much better, 230-260 on average. This is with a 3 wood as I am still working with my driver to reduce a mean slice. I have almost eliminated my slice completely with everything but the driver. My 50-100 yard approaches are often falling short as I am always worried about hitting it too hard. Putting has improved greatly, 2-3 putts tops. My iron shots off the fairway are hit and miss, often topping the ball and getting no loft or distance.

I do not go to the driving ranch as much as I would like. My practice is typically a par 3 which does not help my drives obviously but should be improving my approach shots more.

Not sure what you are referring to by course management.
    Course management would be reading the situation and playing accordingly. Don't go for the par 5 in 2. Don't use your driver (or 3 wood) off the tee every time. etc etc

Gotcha, I have started playing more conservatively and trying to lay up where I feel its needed. I still pull the wrong club out every once in a while. I still have fun while I play but I would like to be a more competitive player. If I could finish the year closer to the lower 90's I would be happy. I keep a spreadsheet of all of my rounds to keep track of my progress, I find it helps a bit.

Work computer just shit the bed and I can't get much done the rest of the day so I booked McCall 18 for this afternoon. Wish me luck.

Don't go for the green on 9

I chose not to for the first time this year when I played a few weeks ago and I birdied after a nice chip.

If that's the one over the lake, I actually use my driver and hit for the green. It will usually slice and land on the fairway 20-30 yards from the green. Not an ideal way to play but it works. Well at least it did last time I played there 3 or so years ago.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Work computer just shit the bed and I can't get much done the rest of the day so I booked McCall 18 for this afternoon. Wish me luck.
    Wear a helmet.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast