Quantcast
Jeremy Clarkson suspended (UPDATE: Fired)(UPDATE: New SHOW) - Page 10 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeremy Clarkson suspended (UPDATE: Fired)(UPDATE: New SHOW)

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-24-2020 at 09:24 PM.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

FWIW, this is Jeremy's column from a few days ago.

I’m having another baby. But I can’t tell you what it will look like

As you may have heard, the BBC has taken my gun and my badge, and I must admit it’s all been a bit of a shock. For more than 12 years Top Gear has been my life, completely. It was an all-consuming entity, a many-tentacled global monster that was dysfunctional and awkward and mad but I loved it with a passion. I loved it like my own child. Which in many ways it was. But then, one day, I read in Her Majesty’s Daily Telegraph that my contract wasn’t going to be renewed and that they were going to give my baby to someone else.

I felt sick because after I’d lost my home and my mother, I’d thrown myself even more vigorously into my job and now, idiotically, I’d managed to lose that too. The sense of loss was enormous. I used to think about Top Gear all the time. It was a black hole at the centre of my heart. I woke every morning worrying about every single line. And I went to bed at night worrying that the changes I’d made during the day were wrong. Friends would talk to me when we were out and, though I could see their lips moving, I couldn’t hear what they were saying. My mind was always elsewhere. I was comfortably numb.

Two days before the “fracas”, I’d been told, sternly, by my doctor that the lump on my tongue was probably cancer and that I must get it checked out immediately. But I couldn’t do that. We were in the middle of a Top Gear series. And Top Gear always came first.

The hole it’s left behind seems to stretch for eternity. And eternity is a big place. Imagine a ball of steel the size of the Earth. Now imagine a fly landing on that ball once a day, and then taking off again. When it eventually has worn the ball of steel away to nothing, that is just the start of eternity. And I’ve somehow got to fill it.

Playing patience on my laptop is not the answer. Because when you get bored, and you will, it’s still only eight in the morning and you can’t even think about going to the pub for four more hours. And then you have to decide not to go to the pub because that’s the road to ruin and despair.

So you watch the lunchtime news and it’s full of Ed Miliband doing his new Dirty Harry act and David Cameron in a hospital with his tie tucked into his shirt and his sleeves rolled up, and it’s still five hours until the start of Pointless. So you go to the shops, and for the first time you are aware that every penny you spend is coming from a pot that’s no longer being topped up. So you decide not to spend anything at all.
    The only good thing is that my son is currently living with me in London, doing A-level retakes. Which means I can spend, ooh, about 16 hours a day reading about the Cold War and helping him with his creative writing coursework. But soon he will be gone, and then the yawning chasm will open up once more.

We read often about people who live on benefits, and it fills us with rage that they are sitting about with a plasma television we bought, eating chocolate biscuits that aren’t bloody well theirs. Yet after a couple of weeks in the same boat (well, all right, mine’s more of a liner), I’m beginning to develop a bit of sympathy. Because what the hell do they do all day to stay sane?

I suppose it helps when all your friends are on the dole as well. You can all hang out in the bus shelter together. But selfishly, most of my friends have jobs, which means that until eight at night I have almost no one to play with.

This means I have to make everything last for hours. I have set aside this afternoon to fill in the membership form for a local tennis club. And then I shall use all tomorrow morning to take it round. The afternoon? Not sure yet. I may organise my jumpers.

And so we get to the nub of the issue. When you are thrust into the world of early retirement, it’s no good living from day to day because then you’re just a twig in a stream. You just get stuck in an eddy till you rot. You need to have a long-term strategy. You need something that will fill the void.

But what? Squash? Really? I’m 55 years old, which means that long before I become good my knees will explode and my ears will fill up with hair. Fishing? Hmm. I’m not certain, when you’ve spent a life being chased across the border by angry mobs and shot at in helicopter gunships, that you can fill the hole by sitting on the bank of a canal, in the drizzle. It’s the same story with gardening. When your Maserati’s done 185mph you’re not going to get much of a thrill from a rhubarb growth spurt.

One of my friends, who shall remain nameless, save to say that his name begins with R and ends in ichard Hammond, decided to fill his enforced leave by training his dog. And now, after just a couple of weeks, he reports that the dog in question hates him and hides whenever he comes into the room.

Things will only get worse because recent studies have found that people who retire early stand an increased chance of developing dementia. They also live in a constant state of anxiety and will die nearly two years sooner than they might had they stayed at work.
    At 55, then, you’re in a limbo land where time is simultaneously with you and against you. You are too young to put your feet up but too old to start anything new.

Which is why I have made a decision. I have lost my baby but I shall create another. I don’t know who the other parent will be or what the baby will be like, but I cannot sit around any more organising my photograph albums.
    Especially as most of the pictures I have are from a fabulous chapter that’s now been closed. The child is grown. The dream is gone. I have become uncomfortably numb.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Lump?!

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

My Ride
    W204

Looks like they'll air the remaining clips before the end of the year.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/22/t...odes-will-air/
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by flipstah
    Lump?!
    Well the good news is that shortly after the "fracas" he was informed the lump was not cancer.

My Ride
    Gas guzzler!

James May 'will not return to Top Gear' without Clarkson

So May ain't coming back either.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-32431956

Top Gear presenter James May has said he will not return to the BBC show without co-host Jeremy Clarkson, who was dropped from the show last month. "Me and Hammond with a surrogate Jeremy is a non-starter. It has to be the three of us," he told the Guardian. He added that Top Gear without Clarkson would be a "tough call" and "a bit of a daft idea". Clarkson was removed from presenting duties on the motoring show after assaulting producer Oisin Tymon. "I don't think you could carry on with two people and put someone in as the new Jeremy because they are not going to be the new Jeremy," May said. "That would be short-sighted and I don't think it would work. Virtually impossible." May changed his Twitter account to say "former Top Gear presenter" on 25 March, the day it was announced Clarkson's contract would not be renewed. May's own contract, and that of his co-presenter Richard Hammond, expired last month. It raises the possibility of an entirely new presenting line-up for the hit BBC Two show. Shillinglaw has said the challenge of reinventing Top Gear without Clarkson was "creatively exciting" Channel controller Kim Shillinglaw has been given the job of finding a replacement for Clarkson, with former X Factor host Dermot O'Leary and Jodie Kidd rumoured to be in the running. But May has said there "might be an opportunity for three of us to get back together on the BBC to do Top Gear or a car show of some sort". "The BBC haven't completely closed the door on Jeremy's return," he told the Guardian. "They've not banned him or fired him, only just not renewed his contract for the moment. It's a subtle difference, but an important one." Earlier this week, Shillinglaw stressed there was no ban on Clarkson returning to the BBC, despite director general Tony Hall's decision to fire him last month, saying "a line has been crossed". "It's serious and unfortunate what happened but there is no ban on Jeremy being on the BBC," said Shillinglaw.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-14-2019 at 12:21 PM.

My Ride
    Gas guzzler!

Wanna be a presenter on Top Gear with Chris Evans?

I can bet you that one will be a girl, of the shows I have watched presented by Evans he has a girl on his show.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-33162666

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/d...ans-2015-06-18

My Ride
    This and that.

I for one will not be watching it.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

If Chris Harris was on it, I'd watch it. He'd be great for that show.
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

My Ride
    V8s

I'd much prefer to watch Chris Evans over Harris. Harris is okay, but I think he's better suited to 10 min reviews like he does now. I think Evans has more depth, and will fit the show better.

I'm most definitely going to keep watching Top Gear, I mean why not

Also, clarksons final episode is slated to air the 28th.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Rip top gear, favorite show while it lasted but no more. Without Clarkson Hammond and may what's the point.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

the roadkill guys should apply... that would be epic

My Ride
    Toyota’s

Originally posted by ercchry
    the roadkill guys should apply... that would be epic
    Hell yeah, they're the only other car presenters I can tolerate. Got my vote! Not sure how the producers would feel about a sudden focus on oldschool beaters though haha

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by birdman86

Hell yeah, they're the only other car presenters I can tolerate. Got my vote! Not sure how the producers would feel about a sudden focus on oldschool beaters though haha
    i'd see them more as a reoccurring guest spot "hill billy corner" or something

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Originally posted by shakalaka
    I for one will not be watching it.
    Agreed, this show is dead to me.

Who wants to watch a soulless ginger balther on and on.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-14-2019 at 12:21 PM.

My Ride
    Beyond Fit Golf R and Berta RAM 1500

Agreed, new top gear is dead. Won't be watching. If Chris Harris was the host I would watch it.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 ... LastLast