Quantcast
India's Daughter; Jyoti Singh - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: India's Daughter; Jyoti Singh

Default India's Daughter; Jyoti Singh

I don't know how I missed this, other than I guess because it happened in another country I just kind of sluffed it off.

But I happened to watch the documentary about it this morning and I was horrified to really learn how bad the current accepted attitude is towards women still in India. (I guess in many other countries as well)

The documentary has been banned in India of course, but now also the Indian gov't has pulled it from BBC's YouTube page.

http://qz.com/357437/now-nobody-can-...dias-daughter/

It's available in torrents, but also for now, at CBC's Passionate Eye, and look like they'll air it this weekend.

The documentary is about Jyoti Singh, a 23 year old medical student from Delhi, who went to a movie with a male friend. Because she was out at dark with a boy who was not her husband or family she was "fair game" to be raped. 6 men brutally raped her, so badly that they used a metal rod, and actually tore out her intestines with their hands and tossed them aside. She was dumped on the road and left for dead. She survived for a number of days but eventually died. The documentary interviews many people including the perps, but the horrific thing to hear was how the lawyers, judges and family members of the perps still view women. It's just disgusting. It's a must see if you like documentaries.

India's Daughter; the documentary
    Last edited by C_Dave45; 03-11-2015 at 10:59 AM.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

I heard about this when it happened and sickens me to my stomach that shit like this happens.

And even with a documentary.. I still wouldn't want to watch it..

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

They lynched one of the guys who was part of the rape.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/20...ed-rapist.html

Edited:

Thought this was one of the rapists involved, but was from a separate incident.
    Last edited by zipdoa; 03-11-2015 at 12:00 PM.
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

A serious question to progressive Indians in North America: how are the communities here reacting to this news? I would be really, really embarrassed of my cultural roots if it were me, and I'm sure younger Indians living in the West feel the same way, but what about the older generations out here?

Originally posted by zipdoa
    They lynched one of the guys who was part of the rape.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/20...ed-rapist.html
    Good for them, but this particular rapist wasn't part of the bus gang rape.
    Last edited by Super_Geo; 03-11-2015 at 11:55 AM.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-13-2019 at 12:12 AM.

It's not just rape IMO. It comes down to the old school mentality which brings in gender inequality. As majority of India (70%+) is still living in rural areas, the education and modernization is yet to come for many to realize about gender equality. Rapes, abortions, dowry, job pay rates differentiation are all common practice and there is no easy/quick fix. The problem is in the roots IMO, not just some bad seeds. Economically they are able to prosper because money is easier to understand and chase. But I can assure you this, the newer, younger generation which is now getting better education are going to change the face of India. Social media (and regular media) has been very effective to spread awareness about many issues and changes are slowly coming.

My Ride
    This and that.

One of the guy was a youth so he got the max 3 years in a juvie facility. The 5 others all got death penalties. One of them committed suicide and I believe the others are appealing their sentences. It's absolutely horrendous what some human beings are capable of.

Originally posted by Super_Geo
    A serious question to progressive Indians in North America: how are the communities here reacting to this news? I would be really, really embarrassed of my cultural roots if it were me, and I'm sure younger Indians living in the West feel the same way, but what about the older generations out here?
    I remember speaking to a coworker from India a while ago about class discrimination, but not gender discrimination. He openly admitted that even while living and working over here, he would not treat certain people (also from India) here as equals, based on particular family name or region of India they are from. Even coworkers that he'd have to interact with. That sounded so strange to me since it would certainly affect peoples' abilities to do their jobs, and yet this apparently goes on all the time like its perfectly normal.

(After that discussion I didn't even want to broach the topic of women with him.)
    Last edited by Inzane; 03-11-2015 at 12:46 PM.

My Ride
    Nissan 300zx (1990 na)

Indias colonial past and extreme Hollywood (Ballywood) like culture of today is what breeds degenerates like this.

When Islam started taking over Iran, groups of Iranians immigrated to India to live a "free" life (see Freddie Mercury's origin)... I wonder what their descendants think of the rape culture freedoms there now.

Originally posted by Inzane

I remember speaking to a coworker from India a while ago about class discrimination, but not gender discrimination. He openly admitted that even while living and working over here, he would not treat certain people (also from India) here as equals, based on particular family name or region of India they are from. Even coworkers that he'd have to interact with. That sounded so strange to me since it would certainly affect peoples' abilities to do their jobs, and yet this apparently goes on all the time like its perfectly normal.

(After that discussion I didn't even want to broach the topic of women with him.)
    I would love to see how he would deal with someone 'beneath' him if they were his boss.

Originally posted by Super_Geo

I would love to see how he would deal with someone 'beneath' him if they were his boss.
    To be a multicultural society, do we have to accept the bad shit that an immigrant brings with them?

My Ride
    dumpster trains

no
    Originally posted by speedog
    So more beyond armchair activism at work again?

My Ride
    dumpster trains

Plain and simple, we humans are disgusting, and the things we do to ourselves and others of our species is truly terrible
    Originally posted by speedog
    So more beyond armchair activism at work again?

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

To be a multicultural society, do we have to accept the bad shit that an immigrant brings with them?
    Transcend your race. Keep the good stuff.

Originally posted by MalibuStacy
    Plain and simple, we humans are disgusting, and the things we do to ourselves and others of our species is truly terrible
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

I haven't watched the documentary yet but can comment on my own experiences from owning a business in India and having traveled there with extensive experience with the people and culture. My first trip to India was in some ways very shocking to say the least. My office is in Noida, which borders the Delhi city limits and it's rough (think the Compton of Delhi) and I couldn't believe the stuff I was seeing on a daily basis. A few of my management level guys understand how fucked up things are there and don't agree/condone the way women are treated in their country, but it's everywhere. I've met some very talented women there that I wanted to hire, but they didn't want to work in a company that had no female employees already. The fear is legit.

When I was in Bangalore, we took an Uber everywhere (so cheap), but couldn't in Delhi because one of the drivers had raped a women and Uber stopped service. I started to inquire about the statistics of rape or otherwise towards women with a friend (local) and he filled me in. While it's rampant everywhere in India, it's especially bad in Delhi and surrounding areas. There is just so much disparity and lack of education that it's going to take generations to fix the culture. I don't see it happening anytime soon though. It's such a corrupt country.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by shakalaka
    One of the guy was a youth so he got the max 3 years in a juvie facility. The 5 others all got death penalties. One of them committed suicide and I believe the others are appealing their sentences. It's absolutely horrendous what some human beings are capable of.
    you more than anyone know that the only thing keeping society in check is the fear of getting caught.

There was a study awhile back, no idea where it is, but something like 85% of the people in it said that they would rob a bank or something similar if there was a 0% change of being caught and punished for it.

The other 15% were liars.

Seriously though, the human race is disgusting. You don't even need to look too far into our past as Canadians even to see atrocities being committed. These same acts are carried out all over the world, even today.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.