Quantcast
Whole Home Audio - My Solution - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Whole Home Audio - My Solution

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Default Whole Home Audio - My Solution

Well I thought I would share my weekend project with you guys to see if anyone finds my experience and setup useful.

So here is a problem that i have seen tons of threads about, What is the best way to go about having a whole home distributed audio system?

So what I started with in my place is installed speakers ( 8 ohm ) with all of the cables roughed in to the basement. I have the following zones:

Master Bed
    Master Bath

Front Room
    Living Room

Basement Media

Outdoor

Each zone is stereo ( two in ceiling speakers)

In my case my builder was smart enough to install impedance matching volume controls for each zone. I don't fully understand what they do but apparently they provide you flexibility in grouping zones without damaging your amp?

The volume controls I have are these:

http://www.russound.com/product_detail.php?i=3392
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Simple and clean. Good enough for me.

Now the bigger problem. What to use as an Amp and Source for the audio system?

I have been struggling with this for the last year and a half and has ultimately been what has stopped me from installing the system. Professional systems from the likes of russound or control4 cost THOUSANDS of dollars. They also are not recommended for a self install. So for as many zones as I have i was looking a a bill in the order of 10 grand ( for the convenience of music? No thanks!)

The other problem is these systems are generally setup in a rackmount and would take up a ton of space in my already crowded utility closet.

Fast forward to last week. I started looking at the Sonos whole home system based on a FS: post here on beyond for one of their components. That is where I discovered their not so advertised Connect:Amp component.

https://www.sonos.com/en-ca/sonos-sh...term=sitelinks

click for larger version

Basically it is what it sounds like: A compact amp with 55W of power per channel ( tons ) that also acts as it's own control system. It can stream music from your cell phone, Computer, NAS, or just about any internet streaming service available. Subscription or otherwise. Nifty.

So last week I stop down at best buy to pick one of these up to give it a try with my system ( i confirm with them that if it doesn't work with my system i can always return it ).

So i grabbed one of the rough cables hanging from the ceiling in my electrical room and stripped the wires off for hookup. I pulled a couple of volume controls around the house out to check the hookup colors to ensure i get the phase done right. Wired it all up to the Sonos Amp with super easy push button connection towers. I also physically wired the Sonos to my gigabit switch to eliminate any issues with wifi ( the whole system can work on wifi if you so choose). Quick setup right on my iPhone and i press play. Music starts coming out of my bedroom speakers, clear as day. great quality with full eq control.

So at this point i was convinced of the merits of the system. The next step was how to set this up more permanently.

I found this company, Flexson, a British company specializing in aftermarket Sonos accessories who make a wallmount bracket for the connect amp. Perfect.

https://www.flexson.com/stores/singl...&itemID=876370

So i order a couple of them from Future shop and they arrived on Friday. Looking at the way my zones are i also picked up a second connect amp ( more on this later)

The result of this setup is this:

click for larger version

Nice and clean, not taking up any space.

Amp 1 is wired right to my switch, with a daisy chain into amp 2. Simple.

Now for zones.

I have set the system up as 2 zones for the time being.

Zone 1 is my Main floor, Living room and Front Room. My house is open concept so no point separating these zones as they would definitely interfere with each other. The connect amp allows me to connect both of these zones in parallel splitting the ample 55W of power between the zones. If i want to only listen to one i can shut one off right at the physical volume control.

The second zone is the Master Bed and Bath. No door between these so separate zones would again be redundant.

I don't have speakers connected to the outdoor zone so I wont be hooking them up for the time being ( or potentially ever as the wire rough in is 15 feet up which is a bit high not to bother the neighbors). Still I could EASILY add this zone to the main floor amp or add a dedicated amp for outside.

Basement media room, I didn't hook up. The room isn't that big and i already have a full 5.1 setup wired in there (with arguably better quality speakers than the ones in the ceiling) . I am considering picking up a regular Connect source to hook right up to my amp with optical but i can add that in later.

The whole setup streams my music library from my iMac in the office so it doesn't kill cell phone batteries by streaming right from them. The cell phones just act as a controller. Another fun fact is that my harmony ultimate remote can also act as a controller for the system. Great!

So the result? For a minimum of effort i have a great fully integrated home audio system that i didn't have to pay 10 grand for a professional to hook up.

Total cost? As i have it $1,400 taxes in. Add another 450 for the source to hook up my amp later down the road.

And the whole thing is stupid easy to use, and sounds great. If i have people over who want to suggest songs they just download the Sonos app and can add their own music to the queue. I can also play different sources on each zone. or group them all up for a whole house party!

As for this post, i hope people take it as a good DIY option for their roughed in home audio that they might feel to intimidated to take on themselves.

Also this serves to show how a Sonos system can work well for an integrated setup, i wasn't impressed with their all in one components ( pricey and while they sound good are a bit to small for room filling sound ) and had initially written the systems off as gimicks for apartments.
    Last edited by killramos; 03-23-2015 at 10:09 AM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

I used Sonos as well. Stupid easy to setup with no thinking required.

Nice write up. In my new place I am planning to use a couple of Sonos Connect's with control4 for the matrix.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Yea honestly the most time consuming part of this setup was stripping the wires ( with a pocket knife since i am to lazy to go buy a proper cable stripper ) and identifying which zones were which as my builder didn't label the rough in cables. Ones that was taken care of the entire install was less than an hour including mounting the brackets and setting up sonos on my iPhone.

My motivation for the setup was my Fiancee was listening to music using her iphone speakers even where i had bluetooth etc available (connecting to bluetooth each time was to irritating). Even my airplay compatible amp never worked and the music always skipped. The system had to be just as easy to use as hitting play on an iPhone or i knew it wouldn't be used.

A big plus for me is that it doesn't stream from the iphone but from my media server. So if you phone disconnected from wifi or whatever there is no stoppage. Let alone the savings on battery.

All in all i don't even feel as if the system cost me anything as now when i sell my place i can label it as sonos whole home audio installed

An investment.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    12 audi a5

very nice write up!

I was in the same boat but ended up with htd.
    I think I paid about 600 for the whole setup and it comes with digital keypads.

I still use the sonos connect as an input though.

http://www.htd.com/Products/Whole-House-Audio

I just picked up a sonos connect this weekend and wired it in. My setup will be a bit different since i didn't have all of the zone volume controls installed. Instead, i am going to go with a ATON DLA4. It will allow me to route the sonos to one, few, or all zones. There are several ways to control this but i will be using a wall plate or IR via Harmony.

I will add on a Sonos speaker in the garage later.

Total cost in for me will be less than $1400, including speakers.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by locust
    very nice write up!

I was in the same boat but ended up with htd.
    I think I paid about 600 for the whole setup and it comes with digital keypads.

I still use the sonos connect as an input though.

http://www.htd.com/Products/Whole-House-Audio
    Wow that is a great price for a full rack setup. Easy to install? Good quality?

Having the full zone control on the sonos app is a feature I'm really liking.

I would kind of like a dedicated controller ( Sonos discontinued theirs). It makes sense to just use the iPhone app thought. Sonos controllers started at 200 dollars and for that much you can just buy an iPhone touch and dock for exclusive Sonos use if you so chose. Or a 99 dollar android tablet. It really doesn't matter lol.

fact.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by spike98
    I just picked up a sonos connect this weekend and wired it in. My setup will be a bit different since i didn't have all of the zone volume controls installed. Instead, i am going to go with a ATON DLA4. It will allow me to route the sonos to one, few, or all zones. There are several ways to control this but i will be using a wall plate or IR via Harmony.

I will add on a Sonos speaker in the garage later.

Total cost in for me will be less than $1400, including speakers.
    Sounds like another great option.

I wont deny the Sonos components are expensive. 600 bucks for a single zone amp is alot. What you are really paying for the is integration with other Sonos components etc.

For me it all just works great ( disclosure if it wasn't obvious i own macs and idevices to )

fact.

My Ride
    12 audi a5

Pretty much a no brainer install.
    All plug in play. Plug in ethernet cables to key pads, plug in speaker wires, power, and serial port adapter for the wireless control then your set.

I've integrated it with Roomie remote so it controls all my audio and video.
    I got a cheap mono price hdmi network matrix so everything is controlled through the server rack.

If your on ios look into roomie remote it integrates nicely with xbmc, sonos, your tv set to box etc.
    I have it controlling all my lighting etc as well.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by locust
    Pretty much a no brainer install.
    All plug in play. Plug in ethernet cables to key pads, plug in speaker wires, power, and serial port adapter for the wireless control then your set.

I've integrated it with Roomie remote so it controls all my audio and video.
    I got a cheap mono price hdmi network matrix so everything is controlled through the server rack.

If your on ios look into roomie remote it integrates nicely with xbmc, sonos, your tv set to box etc.
    I have it controlling all my lighting etc as well.
    Sounds slick.

oh and I already have Harmony Ultimate for all that haha

fact.

My Ride
    12 audi a5

The harmony works really well.

Saves you thousands compared to elan, control 4, savant etc.
    It's alot easier to customize as well.