Quantcast
New 10th Street Crosswalk @ Kensington Road - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New 10th Street Crosswalk @ Kensington Road

My Ride
    Grimace

Default New 10th Street Crosswalk @ Kensington Road

The city is so awesome. New cross walk on 10th street at the southbound end of the kensington road intersection. Don't take kensington as now you will never be able to get onto 10th south.

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

I work in Kensington and my drive home involves taking eastbound Memorial via southbound 10th St from Kensington Rd. This additional crosswalk catches everyone off guard - both pedestrians and drivers! I've been nearly hit multiple times as a pedestrian in this area and even I, as a driver, have almost hit a pedestrian crossing this amaze-balls idea of a new crosswalk 'cause pedestrians just seem to sneak up on you. It's only a matter of time before a serious injury happens!
    Last edited by mo_money2supe; 06-01-2015 at 09:18 AM.

Get 6 months of free supercharging & FSD trial when you buy a new Tesla: https://ts.la/simon82305
    Free test drives for actual interested parties! We own both a Model 3 Performance and a Model X 90D.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Default Re: New 10th Street Crosswalk @ Kensington Road

Originally posted by schocker
    Don't take kensington as now you will never be able to get onto 10th south.
    The southbound lights are out of sync so often that turning off of kensington should be a breeze

My Ride
    Grimace

Default Re: Re: New 10th Street Crosswalk @ Kensington Road

Originally posted by blitz
    The southbound lights are out of sync so often that turning off of kensington should be a breeze
    Oh don't worry, they are fixed again, only took a few days this time. Monday I think it was took me like 15 mins to go from 5th ave to the bridge

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default Re: Re: New 10th Street Crosswalk @ Kensington Road

Originally posted by blitz
    Unfortunately, it's out of sync the wrong way. For lights on 10th street, the light at Memorial is red, cars packed in the mini block up to Kensington Road, which turns the light green. Nobody moves.

Then Memorial goes green, and 15 cars get through. Memorial goes red, but Kensington stays green, which packs the mini block again, blocking people from Kensington Road from turning in. That mini block is always full, so drivers from Kensington road, including busses, just forces their way into that intersection sideways to block 10th street traffic to get 2 or 3 cars through.

I come in every morning from Memorial onto 10th, so I'm always stopped at that intersection waiting to turn right watching the hilarity ensue. I can't complain, it's freeing up space so that I can get in on 10th with no traffic and onto 5th.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Grimace

^^miniblock is best block though. It is always amusing, then you have the morons that want to turn left onto memorial from kensington so they are perpendicular to tenth and block everyoneeeeeee

I loved pedestrian tunnels in Europe. Eliminates the conflict between cars and pedestrians and keeps traffic going smoothly. No clue why they don't do that here, not everywhere, but specifically on busy roads like this one.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Originally posted by BigMass
    I loved pedestrian tunnels in Europe. Eliminates the conflict between cars and pedestrians and keeps traffic going smoothly. No clue why they don't do that here, not everywhere, but specifically on busy roads like this one.
    That makes too much sense. Plus it takes some foresight. I could only imagine the mess of cables pipe etc. sitting right below ground

My Ride
    '14 Audi S5 /'09 Forester XT

One of the biggest issues with this is when people are coming south on 10st and want to keep going south onto the Louise Bridge and "realize" they're in the wrong lane.

They'll either:
    1. Stop and cut in last minute right in the intersection of Memorial & 10th (Those people are real assholes), and I'm surprised there hasn't been a head on collision with people stopped waiting to turn onto Memorial East from 10st.

2. They'll put their signal on right past Kensington Rd & 10st and just stop forcing everyone behind them to deal with the ignorant asshole maneuver.

Both of these moves are so they're not forced to wait in the right hand lane all the way down 10th street as a lot of traffic turns onto Kensington Rd westbound.

Either move screws over everybody trying to turn right onto 10th street going eastbound on Kensington Rd, and then want to go onto Memorial. I park right beside this and this clusterfuck of an intersection has now forced me to take Crowchild as it's the lesser of all evils rather than waiting sometimes up to 20minutes just to turn onto 10th st.

C/N...get fucked 10th and Kensington rd. intersection.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Last edited by codetrap; 01-01-2017 at 02:27 PM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

Originally posted by codetrap
    A pedestrian tunnel under memorial drive. Beside the river.

Nope, can't see anything going wrong there.
    seems like Calgary is fully of excuses. Far poorer places in much harsher conditions seem to be able to figure out ways of doing things, while in Calgary we seem really good at figuring out reasons to why we should not do things. If the tunnel in this location doesn't work, use that idea in other locations and figure something out in this location that's better than just completely destroying traffic. As much as Kensingtonites love pedestrians, I don't think the residents of Kensington would appreciate massive traffic jams and idling cars in front of their new condos all day. You know, be innovative.

+15 that shit. Make it look like the Peace Bridge.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by codetrap
    A pedestrian tunnel under memorial drive. Beside the river.

Nope, can't see anything going wrong there.
    The pathway already goes under each of the bridges besides the river. Nothing new. They get flooded every year or 2, and gets closed off.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by BigMass
    I don't think the residents of Kensington would appreciate massive traffic jams and idling cars in front of their new condos all day. You know, be innovative.
    They are being innovative. Jam up all the traffic, people will drive other routes, less volume, problem solved. It's no different than the stupid speed bumps in residential areas, except it's more attractive.

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

this crosswalk is very unnecessary. There are already two opportunities to cross 10th street within throwing distance of the new crosswalk, and traffic was always busy, but fine enough before.

How does shit like this get implemented?
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by XylathaneGTR
    this crosswalk is very unnecessary. There are already two opportunities to cross 10th street within throwing distance of the new crosswalk, and traffic was always busy, but fine enough before.

How does shit like this get implemented?
    COC thinks of an idea, implements it, and then they wait to see what happens.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by schocker
    COC thinks of an idea, implements it, and then they wait to see what happens.
    Don't forget to call it a pilot. That makes it all OK because in your mind it's not permanent even though it is.

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by rage2

Don't forget to call it a pilot. That makes it all OK because in your mind it's not permanent even though it is.
    Whoops
    Perhaps the city can start a herbicide pilot so every green space in Calgary stops looking like a ghetto POS with just dandelions also.

I gots fields of dandelions where I am. Packed full where you can't see any grass growing.

Once they banned weed and feed it was the death knell of the grass lawn.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

Originally posted by ZenOps
    I gots fields of dandelions where I am. Packed full where you can't see any grass growing.

Once they banned weed and feed it was the death knell of the grass lawn.
    Just pave your lawn and park all your cars on it and your problem is solved (just don't forget to dedicate a few percentage points of the budget to 'art' and throw a bikelane next to it too).
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast