Quantcast
2015 Storm Thread! - Page 28 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18 27 28

Thread: 2015 Storm Thread!

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by benyl

Seriously?
    Comparatively speaking, yes. By keeping the bridge deck at a more constant temperature it would require less maintenance, and because it would not be exposed to plow blades, would require resurfacing less often.

Add in the reduced cost of having bottle necked traffic and the people required at a high accident location...never mind the safety aspect...

I mean, I know there is probably more to it than a few boilers and pumps to push heated glycol through tubing, but to me it seems like a no brainer.

Personally, if someone tells me there is an accident on deerfoot on a snowy day, my fist guess it is on the Calf Robe Bridge.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

I think more of the Calf Robe bridge problem is people's perception of what might happen - too often I have been driving in winter or rainy conditions only to have some fool in front of me jam on the brakes before they even get onto that bridge. It's more dangerous before that bridge because of idiot drivers.
    Will fuck off, again.

Originally posted by spikerS

Comparatively speaking, yes. By keeping the bridge deck at a more constant temperature it would require less maintenance, and because it would not be exposed to plow blades, would require resurfacing less often.

Add in the reduced cost of having bottle necked traffic and the people required at a high accident location...never mind the safety aspect...

I mean, I know there is probably more to it than a few boilers and pumps to push heated glycol through tubing, but to me it seems like a no brainer.

Personally, if someone tells me there is an accident on deerfoot on a snowy day, my fist guess it is on the Calf Robe Bridge.

As nice of an idea as that would be quite a few problems.
    - Glycol is very expensive, so are the heaters, reboilers, etc. Glycol would need to be trucked in/out at a high rate during very cold times/storms.
    - The cost to tube up and insulate a stretch like calf rob would be huge
    - Where do you store all the glycol
    - Environmental concerns of having large quantities of glycol stored over a major waterway

The list could go on for quite a bit, I usually cringed on projects once glycol HT was brought up. Or just dealing with dehy towers and the NO/CO venting rates etc

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by speedog
    I think more of the Calf Robe bridge problem is people's perception of what might happen - too often I have been driving in winter or rainy conditions only to have some fool in front of me jam on the brakes before they even get onto that bridge. It's more dangerous before that bridge because of idiot drivers.
    Disagree. The Calf Robe (along with Crowchild/Bow bridge, and Stoney Tr. West over Bow by COP) all share the same recipe for disaster. They all sit above a large river, freeze much earlier than the roads leading to the bridge (so you HAVE to slow down), all sit on high speed roads, and have a tricky elevation changes that doesn't help a car's stability on ice.

People slow down because nobody has a clue if the bridge is iced up on not. We don't get rally pace notes on our drives lol.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by colinxx235
    As nice of an idea as that would be quite a few problems.
    - Glycol is very expensive, so are the heaters, reboilers, etc. Glycol would need to be trucked in/out at a high rate during very cold times/storms.
    - The cost to tube up and insulate a stretch like calf rob would be huge
    - Where do you store all the glycol
    - Environmental concerns of having large quantities of glycol stored over a major waterway

The list could go on for quite a bit, I usually cringed on projects once glycol HT was brought up. Or just dealing with dehy towers and the NO/CO venting rates etc
    That is why you use electric trace!

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Last edited by codetrap; 01-01-2017 at 01:13 PM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Don't take my word for it. This technology is already in use around North America in one form or another, with cost/benefit analysis and what yearly upkeep is.

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publication...9158/99158.pdf

http://conf.tac-atc.ca/english/resou.../pdf/essex.pdf

http://ntl.bts.gov/lib/9000/9000/9035/51bridge.pdf

Here is the final evaluation of Virginia's first heated bridge:
    http://www.virginiadot.org/vtrc/main.../pdf/01-r8.pdf

CONCLUSIONS
    • Applying heat pipe technology to heating bridge decks is feasible.
    • Selecting a proper working fluid for heat pipes is critical to effective deck heating.
    • The surface condition sensor should be placed on the bridge deck.
    • The heat pipe system does not pose a construction problem.
    • Operating costs for the heat pipe system are lower than for an alternate electrical or hydronic
    system.
    • The heating system does not seem to have any adverse effects on the durability of the bridge
    deck.
    • The use of an infrared camera can be very effective in evaluating heat distribution and
    intensity across the deck surface.
    This report is from 1995 mind you. But this report also states that while in operation for bridge de-icing, it was costing $18/hour. Pretty cheap if you ask me.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Last edited by codetrap; 01-01-2017 at 10:40 AM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

Last edited by Amysicle; 12-06-2019 at 09:48 PM.

Originally posted by Amysicle
    Not really a storm, but just wondering if anyone has been out yet this morning and could tell me if there is a layer of ice from the rain yesterday under the layer of snow from this morning? NW Calgary.
    Nope or not at least in central north Calgary.

moved

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18 27 28