Quantcast
Garage door seal and drainage - good idea or terrible idea? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Garage door seal and drainage - good idea or terrible idea?

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Default Garage door seal and drainage - good idea or terrible idea?

So the garage at our new place has a bit of a water intrusion issue that I'd like to sort out.

The garage has two main alley-facing doors and a single (unpowered, ultra-cheap) vehicle door facing the yard - basically it's a drive-through in one bay. Handy when needed but it spends the vast majority of its time closed and I don't generally move vehicles through it.

The problem is that the slab slopes along the length of the door and towards the middle of the garage, so in heavy wind/rain water just pools in front of the door, flows down along the bottom seal, and then enters the garage where the door seal ends:

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

The seal under the door works fine, it's just the area where that seal ends that doesn't keep water out.

Since the slab is elevated above the lawn on that side, I had the idea of cutting a few small (or one large-ish) drain channels at the corner of the door (see red lines) that would direct that water down into the lawn instead of through the middle of my shop. I don't plan to cut all the way through, just enough to provide a spillway - maybe an inch deep.

Good idea? Awful idea and my slab will fall to pieces? Is there a better solution I don't know about that isn't hugely expensive?

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

I don't know if that is a good idea or not but if you do it make sure you use a concrete sealer on it...and not that cheap shit they sell at Rona or Home Depot.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Yeah any cuts would be well-sealed afterwards, that's a good reminder. What brand/supplier do you recommend?

Instead of cutting the concrete, maybe just run a bead of caulking or something on top to divert the water away? If that doesn't work, then try cutting?
    ---

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by kenny
    Instead of cutting the concrete, maybe just run a bead of caulking or something on top to divert the water away? If that doesn't work, then try cutting?
    The issue with caulking is that I do actually use the door periodically, so a caulk seal would somehow have to be totally sealed along with the bottom door seal and still allow the door to be opened without buggering up the caulk.

I wonder if I could use the caulk to make a formed seal with the bottom door seal if I coated the door seal with something the caulk wouldn't bond to. Hmmmm..... that'd be worth a try for sure.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Yeah I've seen the thresholds but it would still need to seal between the door seal and the wall somehow - maybe I could cut 90-degree pieces and extend the threshold from the door seal to the wall. That might interfere with the vertical seal though, worth doing some measuring.