Recommend a divorce lawyer - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Recommend a divorce lawyer

My Ride
    Parked in the Bike Lane

Does she work?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'm no expert but things like difference in income, who brought assets into the marriage, and current standard of living may come into play.

It's possible that your current low earnings will be your salvation here.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by Hero_X View Post
    Sorry to hijack the thread but I also need some help with a divorce lawyer.

Long story short is I entered into an arranged marriage, we been married 3 yrs, no kids. It's not working out, and I'm constantly miserable.

I need to get out of it. I would ideally like to make it uncontested but this person likes to make me miserable so it may become contested.

Do I have any choice? I mean.. I don't have much money or assets, but does she get 50% of everything? What about my debt? And is it an absolute that I will have to pay her alimony?

fck.. i'm stressed about this because my job is shit and don't make much, and if even that gets taken away.. I'll be on the streets. =/

Sry for the rant, if any ideas/suggestions, please do share.
    You got PM

Just to take the discussion sideways if I may. Its kinda interesting. People break up for various reasons.

A lot of my friends in the 2000's got married. They married for reasons I did not support, i.e their culture, identity etc. I told them not to as I had seen marriages in the 80's and 90's go bad and if said the foundation is not right, it will fall apart. Instead they listened to the circle jerk convention. I was blasted by being told im wrong and its their identity, its who they are etc.

Anyways I returned to London in 2011 and met my friends at a Hotel for night out pissup. I entered the room and I learned either they were divorced, remarried with a homegrown girl from India and not happy or (the girls) married a white guy that just said yes to everything, or the ones that were still married have resorted to side chick/guy.

Im not saying marriage is a bad thing. Its great if it can work and you meet that person. But its just a interesting observation I have noticed over the last 20-30 years with friends and family. The divorce rate is really high. You can actually tell if its going to work out or not from the onset.

But anyhoo... back to the topic.
    Try and work it out if you can without lawyers, easier said than done I know. Ive just seen divorce lawyers play the game here and manipulate their clients feelings just for the $$$ to fight and litigate.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Hero_X View Post
    Do I have any choice? I mean.. I don't have much money or assets, but does she get 50% of everything? What about my debt? And is it an absolute that I will have to pay her alimony?
    Pretty simple in your case. Distribution is based on what was gained during marriage. Lets say you came into the relationship with $10,000 worth of assets. She came in with $5000, so total of $15,000. Now you have $25,000 worth of assets. $25k - $15k = $10k, so that gets split to $5k each, and you walk out with $10k + $5k = $15k worth of assets and she walks out with $5k + $5k = $10k worth. Same calculations goes with debt. The easy way is to not involve lawyers, write up an agreement, figure out who walks out with what, and move on. Lawyers just adds expenses really and only necessary to help officially seal the deal.

Alimony, there are guidelines in Canada, and you can calculate what the guidelines have set based on your situation. It's not absolute, but again, make an agreement that both sides are happy with and don't involve lawyers in the negotiations. Guideline calculator here: https://www.davidsonfraese.ca/spousa...rt-calculator/
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2