Quantcast
Recession Casualties - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Recession Casualties

Looks like Buttercream Bakery went totally kaput. When did that happen?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Manhattan
    Overpriced and not that good. I went once and never went back.
    Yup. Paid $25 for half a sandwich and a coffee. Taste no better than stuff that's half the price.

Originally posted by suntan
    Looks like Buttercream Bakery went totally kaput. When did that happen?
    Is that the same one with a kiosk in Market Mall by Sportchek? They were gone in the summer and equipment seized by bankruptcy handlers.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 11-30-2015 at 11:08 AM.

Dunno. Went to "The Core" yesterday and the one by the escalator was gone. Check Yelp today, looks like the main one on 17th Ave is gone too.

Bought a cake there once. It was okay, but nothing special. The girl at the counter (who I think was the owner) was a mega-bitch though.

My Ride
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala

I think the biggest thing that is killing these places is the retarded rental rates.
    1968 Impala: Status: Stored
    1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Sold
    1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Sold
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Cruising
    2000 Bluebird TC2000: Build phase of skoolie project
    2018 Rav4 XLE: New baby friendly daily

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by cycosis
    I think the biggest thing that is killing these places is the retarded rental rates.
    Unless their rates were jacked on a renewal, which isn't the case of anyone opening/closing in their first year or two typically, it's still just a basic failure of due diligence in not understanding what their operating costs are actually going to be and how they're going to sustain them.

Food service has got to be one of the toughest things to make a go of and people go into it far too ignorant far too often.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Corbeaux was that place where you would go to feel like you're in Paris or Brussels (wait, not really) and pay Euro-converted prices for your pastries, get a few selfies and walk away beating yourself up for going there in the first place. The prices they commanded were wrong, the concept was high stakes, and they were too big to execute what would be very niche. I have been there a few times and I can't recall a single item I would go back for. I also certainly don't miss banging my head against those lamps they have.

Too close to the rabble for the Upper Mount Royal cognoscenti to go there.

Candella in Mission also went bust a month or two ago. Also in Mission, Cafe Artigiano has been boarded up and closed less than a year since it opened.

Wow. CA is actually really good. I guess not even John Manzo can eat enough to support every hipster doofus place in the "inner city".

My Ride
    www.jordanlotoski.com

Corbeaux was terrible..Wont miss that one

"BEYONDS OFFICIAL REALTOR"
    Instagram @jordan_empirewest
    Ranked #1 RE/MAX Professionals (2013-2022)
    Ranked #2 RE/MAX Agent Calgary (2017-2020)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max agent Western Canada (2013-2021)
    Ranked #56 RE/MAX Agent Worldwide (2014)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max Agent Canada (2013-2020)

Check out my mobile app
    goagent.ca/98F1B2F9

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

really? dont think artigiano was opened for even a year there. I like their coffee. I buy from P&S more since it's more convenient to me. They seem to be doing ok on 4th. Price and quality are more or less the same between the two, wonder what went wrong there.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Corbeaux started off with a quality product but it changed over time - their cinnamon buns were a perfect example of how inconsistent things were. The first one I tried there was thin dough, perfectly baked with a lemon zest icing. It's still the best I've eaten. Other times they might as well got them from Cinnezo(sp). I heard rumour the chef started there at the beginning but more or less did less work and more supervisor role. If that's the case, great baker, poor supervisor.

They were trying to do too much all at once: bakehouse, tastings, restaurant, coffee shop. It was a massive establishment for what I believe they thought Duchess in Edmonton could be. Except Duchess is much better in literally every way. You want to feel like you're in France? Duchess is as close as it gets.

However, you guys have to remember that these guys aren't starting from nowhere, they own Fratello and their cafe Analog. They know a thing or two about what it takes to run a business.

The issue I think is that they tried to put too much out there all at once in an incredibly expensive location. The first issue that comes to mind is, how much use did that massive patio get and how expensive is it to rent that space? I mean a whole new restaurant could fit in there.

Next, they put the same products in stores right beside each other. This isn't abnormal since Tim Horton's has 3 (yes 3) fucking stores literally beside each other at the cafeteria in the university. Starbucks often has a store in Safeway and another store across the parking lot. But they don't have the following like that and to think spacing things out better should have been obvious.

The other issue, which someone else pointed out, was seating space. It's absolutely ludicrous, arrogant and pompous to charge $10 for a coffee and croissant and provide nearly zero seating area. I mean sure there are 4 chairs by the window I suppose. Sitting outside is nice for the summer but even still not many tables.

In my mind they tried to be like Duchess in Edmonton but failed miserably on all fronts by providing no seating, inconsistent product, and picking an oversized and expensive location. To me, their prices were not the issue. Lots of people in Calgary will gladly pay $10 for coffee and pastry if it's good and they can sit and have a breakfast meeting, study for a bit or relax and look at their phone. At Corbeaux this was just not an option.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Bicycle

Wow. CA is actually really good. I guess not even John Manzo can eat enough to support every hipster doofus place in the "inner city".
    I always thought the Tea place will go first before CA does. But I guess competition got them as they are within throwing distance of Sebastian/Starbucks/Purple Perk.

And the Perk got good food.

My Ride
    Bicycle

double post

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by msommers
    They know a thing or two about what it takes to run a business.
    Not to argue, it's just funny that the rest of your post pretty much contradicts that statement entirely haha
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Not to argue, it's just funny that the rest of your post pretty much contradicts that statement entirely haha
    Yeah I can see that But the point still stands. They have and still do run successful business but this one flopped. I just outlined why I thought so.

But it does leave one to wonder what they were thinking...or potentially who else they might have been partnered with...
    Ultracrepidarian

If anything it shows just how high risk opening a food establishment really is.

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

I didn't mind Corbeaux. Found it very similar to the Eric Kayser concept in NYC. http://maison-kayser-usa.com/ or some of the cafes in Paris...closest we had to it in Calgary anyways. However NYC / Paris likely have the population density to pull it off....
    Last edited by CLiVE; 11-30-2015 at 03:19 PM.

11 months from start to finish has got to be a record for a place this big no?

They definitely wont be missed by me and my family either, we only tried it twice but both times it was just meh
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

If anything it shows just how high risk opening a food establishment really is.
    It's extremely high risk and usually a substaintial amount of inital capital.
    Large amount of marketing then trying to keep that client base when another new hipster place opens up and becomes the rage for 6 months.

Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 17 ... LastLast