Quantcast
Backcountry Camping in Banff - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Backcountry Camping in Banff

My Ride
    dumpster trains

Default Backcountry Camping in Banff

So the girlfriend and I are looking to start getting into backpacking more seriously this spring/summer, and we are a bit at a loss as to where we should start.

Gearwise I have everything except a stove (purchasing a MSR Pocket Rocket soon) and she needs a pack and sack.

The largest problem is where would be a good starting hike and overnight stay (5~8 Km range).

Basically I am asking for Beyond' assistance to find some good/rewarding sites in Banff for the moderately experienced hiker
    Originally posted by speedog
    So more beyond armchair activism at work again?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Used to do quite a bit of this. Go to mec or maptown and pick up the gem trek maps, they have all the distances marked. One key if you are starting on a Friday evening, don't make your first night too far, it sucks to start the weekend with a long slog in the dark. Misjudged this once and it's downright dangerous to be exhausted walking on uneven ground in pich black. Avoid equestrian trails as much as possible too. They are muddier and often quite chewed up.

Consider Elk Pass in kananaskis too. From Banff I did a loop from Norquay to Johnson's canyon, and a few days out behind Lake Louise.

So nice to get away from the crowds. Amazing stuff out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Originally posted by ExtraSlow

Consider Elk Pass in kananaskis too. From Banff I did a loop from Norquay to Johnson's canyon, and a few days out behind Lake Louise.
    Norquay to Johnston Canyon has some of the craziest reward to work payoffs around. Definitely a good place to start.

The Three Isle Lake/Turbine Canyon/Forks campgrounds in K-Country are also great places to start and get used to new gear and get back into it. Fit right into the range. Also high payoffs for how easy they are.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Look around at the huts available, they're great intros to backpacking.

Or a guidebook like 'Don't waste your time in the Rockies' or Trail peak online.
    Ultracrepidarian

No help on a site, but don't skimp on survival gear. Main thing being a satellite phone in a water tight enclosure. Also, remove the battery from the phone and do the same.

It's not paranoia, but rather addressing the "worst that can happen".

Examples of such complacency can be found in the TV series, "I shouldn't be alive".

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by Seth1968
    Main thing being a satellite phone in a water tight enclosure.
    A SPOT device for emergencies, sure, but a satellite phone is way overkill - I literally have never met a single backpacker that carried one on the local trails.

OP, also keep in mind that backcountry camping in Banff requires an extra pass and booking/registration on top of the park pass, which pays for the maintenance of the backcountry campgrounds. Unmaintained areas like Kananaskis don't require the additional fees.

Taylor Lake is a pretty solid beginner hike IMO - it's a wonderful spot, the hike isn't super tough, and there's some amenities (ie tent pads, picnic tables, and an outhouse) up there. You can lean the pleasure of digging catholes some other time. Only downside is that it's a bit of a later-season hike, we hit it at the end of June one year and it was still totally snowy and flooded - August is a safer bet.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

A SPOT device for emergencies, sure,
    I have no idea what you're talking about, but it seems you agree with a proper communication device.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

I've done a lot of backpacking with my wife and I would recommend one of two back country campgrounds (although not in Banff) for beginners, Point, and Forks campgrounds which both start at Upper Kananaskis Lake. (Taylor Lake is another good option but I recall more elevation). Both of these tend to be open earlier and there isn't a huge amount of elevation gain.

I also don't agree that you need a satellite phone or any sort of emergency communication device. These are well used trails with lots of people on them, stick to the trails and you'll be fine. Do bring bear spray though.

Additionally, don't over pack, hauling around excessive weight isn't fun but it usually takes a few outings to determine how much you need to bring. Get a good water pump and refill your water bottles at streams instead of carrying large quantities. We typically would only carry 500ml each and drink at a stream where you can chug and refill.

If you end up liking backpacking after a few outings try and book a trip in Yoho National Park. Takakkaw Falls, Twin Falls, and the Iceline trail are phenomenal with amazing views.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

LOL satellite phone

Absolutely get a spot device. If someone needs to be airlifted out, and it happens more than you'd hope, they're bomber.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    '10 Civic

I would also recommend forks , good facility, not too far, and they have a fire pit with wood. I highly recommend sites that have fire pits and firewood included because you can do a lot more with food as well as hang out around it at night. Make sure you bring stuff to do (cards etc) because it can get boring. Don't forget bear and bug spray.

My Ride
    dumpster trains

Thanks for the tips guys, I have the gear and a pretty good sense for how to backpack, I just haven't done much outside of hut camps yet, but I really like th takakkaw fall area, that might be a good first try
    Originally posted by speedog
    So more beyond armchair activism at work again?