Quantcast
Tesla 3 unveiling - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

Thread: Tesla 3 unveiling

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by 01RedDX
    Interesting, I would have thought that having a couple of hundred degrees of heat in your engine bay could potentially affect cabin temps. I understand that cabins and engine bays in modern cars are well insulated from each other but there's absolutely no heat transfer to the cabin at all?
    Nope. That's why there's a heater core for the HVAC system to give you heat, and why your car stays frozen in winter when that heater core fails.

While an ICE generates a lot of heat, the cooling system removes all that away from the car, and the residual heat as well as fumes and I guess fire in the engine bay is blocked off from the cabin by the firewall.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 04:59 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Yea I think everyone can agree on the concept that the model 3 is not a toy by any means.

Commuter / urban DD? Sure. But it really falls way to far on the "practicality" end of the spectrum to be a toy.

Unless you want to sit in your garage and play with the gadgets lol.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

The Model 3 can get you to Louise And back with no trouble at all. You will have to stop at Canmore on the way back for a quick charge to be safe but that is about it. So the fact that you should stop at Canmore is a hassle compared to an ICE but your car would be plugged in at home before you leave so the only time you would have to deal with cold soaking is at the mountain.

50% loss in range sounds excessive even for a cold soaked battery. I can neither confirm or deny it though as it simply wasn't cold enough this winter for a reasonable sample size.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

All batteries have a preferred operating range.

Usually somewhere around 5 to 15 Celsius is good. Anything under minus 15 and startup can be an issue, anything over 55 and you will start to get heat degradation.

So, as long as the battery does not freeze, in general cooler is better. Black painted electric cars in Texas, probably will fail much sooner than any other.

To give an example of how new technology is for some battery tech, the Eneloop XXX AA batteries are designed to be used at minus fifteen Celsius... You can look up the price on a handful of that tech yourself =P

I can imagine that they will have a free year of "fill-ups" at superchargers as an incentive/perk for everyone. It makes triple sense in Alberta because electricity is dirt cheap here and is a big advertising draw for sales.

https://www.teslamotors.com/en_CA/fi...er&name=Canada

As is right this second, you need to go to Canmore or Red Deer to find a supercharger (quick charge) station. Its about the easiest thing to setup though, I can imagine there will be multiple outlets in Calgary in a couple years. Its essentially a fuse box with a dryer outlet, lol.

BTW: You can watch the link as they move across *the* highway putting up Tesla stations along the way.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 04-25-2016 at 05:04 AM.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6