Quantcast
Has your office/company laid people off? PART 5 - Page 23 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Has your office/company laid people off?

Voters
214. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, people have already been laid off but there will not likely be anymore

29 13.55%
  • Yes, people have already been laid off and there will likely be more.

80 37.38%
  • No, no one has been laid off yet but there will likely be layoffs during the coming months

5 2.34%
  • No, no one has been laid off and there likely won't be any layoffs in the coming months

52 24.30%
  • I WAS laid off but have since found other employment

13 6.07%
  • I WAS laid off and am still looking for other employment

30 14.02%
  • My company went under / other (explain in comments)

5 2.34%
Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 13 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Has your office/company laid people off? PART 5

My Ride
    2010 frontier pro-4x

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    The airport is f'in bonkers in Edmonton today, parking is FULL.

Red Deer was nuts on the weekend, and I traveled all.over Alberta and have never seen H2 more balls to the walls.

I just have a tough time equating this sort of.activity with 9% unemployment.
    I wonder if the airport being full has more to do with it being the last week/long weekend before summer vacation is over. Calgary appears to be much harder hit right now at least with construction. I was working in Edmonton the last 6 months and there is still a lot of trades opportunities between the massive refinery projects, oilsands projects up north, and downtown redevelopment.

The construction vibe around Calgary appears to be significantly worse. Many of my friends in the trades who are still employed have slowed down significantly, with very little coming through the pipes in terms of future work.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Originally posted by SKR
    I've been busier than a dog with two dicks the last couple weeks. Got rigs firing up all over the place.
    That's a hilarious euphemism
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 06:10 PM.

My Ride
    Z

So in that scenario is the beard and fixie optional? Or do you have to look the part too
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 06:10 PM.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I'd recommend red and black flannel jackets and either a badly worn hat, or dirty toque for the interior. A bushy beard surely will help.

For the lower mainland; yuppies are in and hippies are out... so clean shaven, brightly coloured designer glasses (does not matter if you need them or not), and some sort of douchebag haircut with lots of wax
    What about Gucci slippers and LV murse while driving a Ferrari? I will be applying for the job of student and also hoping to purchase a detached in Point Grey.

Well then Alberta is pretty fucked. Oil industry isn't going to recover that quickly, and most ppl in Alberta are specialized in the field. If we can't find work here, and other provinces have shitty attitude towards us, then it's pretty much game over. For now.

McDonald's here I come!

Originally posted by Hero_X
    Well then Alberta is pretty fucked. Oil industry isn't going to recover that quickly, and most ppl in Alberta are specialized in the field. If we can't find work here, and other provinces have shitty attitude towards us, then it's pretty much game over. For now.

McDonald's here I come!

Yah I applied to a shit ton of postings all over Van/The Island. Never heard a peep (rejection included).

McDonald's here I come!
    Do you have relatives in other provinces?

I was considering changing my contact details to my parents address out in BC. Then I was planning on heading out there and staying with them for a few weeks while I lined up some interviews.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

Originally posted by colinxx235

Yah I applied to a shit ton of postings all over Van/The Island. Never heard a peep (rejection included).
    Years ago I applied out there and talked my way into an interview while I was out there visiting.

He blatantly told me, they're not going to pay me as well as AB and to basically go back to AB and keep applying there.

My Ride
    Toyota 86 Wannabe (FR-S)

Darn, just heard that S&S closed their doors in Calgary... Don't quote me on that though...

Photo by: Kevin Chow

Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

Do you have relatives in other provinces?

I was considering changing my contact details to my parents address out in BC. Then I was planning on heading out there and staying with them for a few weeks while I lined up some interviews.

Unfortunately all my relatives are in Alberta. So I really don't have anyone in other provinces.

To be honest though, many people switch careers and are willing to move. It makes no sense to me as to why these employers are not even giving us a chance, if we are willing to move for their position.

My Ride
    Bicycle

It makes no sense to me as to why these employers are not even giving us a chance, if we are willing to move for their position.
    Leverage. Employers love leverages besides a pay check. They want someone working for years for nothing.

If you have roots in Alberta and has done jobs in Alberta, they know you will never settle in and leaves as soon as Alberta recovers just like how you moved to BC for a buck.

So unless you are a unique talent that is 1 in 500k, they won't even bother taking a risk on you unless they have exhausted local search for people that a) has local roots and less likely to leave and b) have never seen how little knowledge you need to make big $ in AB.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 08-31-2016 at 04:24 PM.

To be honest though, many people switch careers and are willing to move. It makes no sense to me as to why these employers are not even giving us a chance, if we are willing to move for their position.

Makes sense or not doesn't really matter, it seems to be the reality. The job market is tough, gotta accept the reality, adjust accordingly and start thinking outside the box.

The first phone interview I had with the company who eventually offered me a position was with a women located outside Alberta. She asked salary expectations, I had done my research so I knew what the salaries for this position were like in other provinces and stated my expectations accordingly. There was a pause after which had me a bit concerned but she then said "I have to be honest, it's refreshing to hear a reasonable response, most Albertans I talk to have unrealistic expectations". So it's clearly on the minds of HR people and managers, right or wrong it's reality.
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Unfortunately all my relatives are in Alberta. So I really don't have anyone in other provinces.

How many people have you met here from the east coast that all they talk about is how much better it is back home yet they're still here for work because there's none back home for them. It's the same thing for us going to BC but the difference is if the oil field picks back up, there will be work again, and people will go back to their roots / the money.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 06:11 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

HR: What are your salary expectations?
    Me: Whatever the fair market rate is for this job
    HR: What do you think is a fair rate?
    Me: That is irrelevant... It depends on the type of job, and what the going market rate is. If you pay me under the fair market rate, I will find out and probably leave. If you pay me over the market rate, you will likely feel disappointed with my performance. Neither of these scenarios is good for an honest and long term working relationship. I am not picky about rates, just offer me what you feel is a fair rate for the position.
    HR: Uhhhh.... ok then, moving on
    Passive aggressive, I like it.

My Ride
    06 S2000

I'm going to try that next time, mostly because I'm frustrated with that conversation.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    V8s

Me: That is irrelevant... It depends on the type of job, and what the going market rate is. If you pay me under the fair market rate, I will find out and probably leave. If you pay me over the market rate, you will likely feel disappointed with my performance. Neither of these scenarios is good for an honest and long term working relationship. I am not picky about rates, just offer me what you feel is a fair rate for the position.
    HR: Uhhhh.... ok then, moving on
    I don't disagree with the general theme of this response... however it falls short in a couple areas.

1. "It depends on the type of job" is a stupid thing to say, IMO. You should know exactly what job you're applying for. If you don't know what type of job it is, you're lucky you got an interview at all

2. By saying they'll likely be disappointed with your performance if they pay you above average, implies that your performance is average at best. If I'm looking for a candidate, the last thing I want is someone who says "yeah, I'm middle of the road".

Having said that, one great thing about your response is "offer me what you feel is a fair rate for the position". That aligns very closely with how I answer this question (however, I'm an engineer, so my fallback is easy - "pay me in line with what the APEGA salary survey says, as I believe that's a fair starting point for position X"). It's pretty hard to go wrong with suggesting they compensate you fairly, in generic terms.

My Ride
    TL

When I was looking for work, I got that screening question and I failed it. I was honest about my salary at my last job, and I even mentioned since the market conditions are not favorable, and I want a experience, I'll be ok taking a lower salary if reasonable.

From what I hear from HR, once you give a number you're boned.

Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 13 22 23 24 ... LastLast