Quantcast
Calgary Stampede Giving Canada a big F-U - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary Stampede Giving Canada a big F-U

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default Calgary Stampede Giving Canada a big F-U

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...drop-superdogs

Many Calgarians say the Stampede is barking up the wrong tree with its new canine stunt act.

After 37 years, the Stampede has dropped the beloved SuperDogs franchise in favour of the Canine Stars, a similar show based in the U.S. Both involve dogs performing stunts and agility feats such as pole weaving, high jumping, Frisbee catching and fly ball. The Canine Stars act, called the Dog Bowl, adds dock diving which sees the dogs launch themselves eight metres into a large pool of water.

Jennifer Booth, Stampede public relations manager, said the SuperDogs were a mainstay for more than three decades and officials felt, based on audience surveys, that it was time for a “new experience.”

But public reaction to the news was fast and furious on social media. “Boo! The rodeo should be gettin’ the boot! And the wagon races too! Save the super dog. That’s it — Calgary is off my list” was one of 121 comments on the story. “That’s a lame argument. “Oh we need something new” you say after 37 years? I call b.s. on that. If that was the case would have happened 20 years ago. I’m sure the replacement will be fine but still boo.” “That sucks. To be honest it was one of the main reasons to go to the Stampede.” “The people loved the super dogs. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.”

Phil Shuchat, CEO of Spot On Entertainment which operates SuperDogs, believes cost was a factor in the decision, especially in the declining economy. He said the Stampede asked all of its marquee attractions to bid on their shows for this year. Shuchat submitted three options, including an outdoor one, all at a lower cost than in the past ” knowing that they were sensitive to economic pressures.”

But the Stampede told him they were going in a different direction.

“I guess when there’s a bad economic downturn, and the first thing you do is run to hire a low-cost alternative from the States, it doesn’t really send a great message. But everyone has a bottom line.”

Booth maintains the deciding factor was a desire to move the show outside of the Big Four Building to allow for more shows each day and a much bigger audience. Canine Stars fit the bill and she hopes fairgoers give it a chance.

“Sometimes change is tough for people. The SuperDogs are loved and that’s awesome,” said Booth.

“We’re really looking forward to Canine Stars coming and we don’t want to have a negative or dark cloud put over them. I think they’re a spectacular show as well and we really want to feature them and give them the benefit of the doubt.”

The SuperDogs have run stunt and agility shows at the Stampede since 1979. For much of that time, Herb Williams was the emcee. Decked out in shiny suits, he entertained the crowds as much as the mixed breed pups did. In his eighties, he retired in 2012.

“We pay homage to Herb in our style of show. It has the same level of character, panache and showbiz. But not the suits. We have to draw the line somewhere,” Shuchat said with a laugh.

He was not surprised by the public reaction to the loss of the SuperDogs at Stampede, saying there is a loyalty built up after three-plus decades.

“We’re a 100 per cent purely Canadian show, top to bottom. We’re not a high-octane, in-your-face kind of show. We’re the SuperDogs. We’re family entertainment. We’re age two to 92. We’re sentimentality.”

Shuchat said the SuperDogs will return to Calgary, at a different time, in a different venue.

“The Calgary fans are incredibly important to us. We will bring our show in a different venue, under different circumstances sometime this year….. We’re not prepared to abandon 37 years of traction and love from the marketplace. “
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Canine Stars is far better because they're corn fed and you can taste the difference.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Not sure the big stink. I've seen the Superdogs twice and they were ... meh at best. Maybe its a kid vs adult thing?

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    Canine Stars is far better because they're corn fed and you can taste the difference.

I wonder if there's a Poodle's Chris.....
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Big deal.

Vote with your dollar and don't go see Canine Stars.

If Canine Stars turn out to be a big hit this year then it sends a bigger message than what people are crying about.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

A few people will complain, but how many will actually stay away from the Stampede purely based on this action? Ya...nobody. I would be curious to see the difference in cost between the two vendors.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by Masked Bandit
    A few people will complain, but how many will actually stay away from the Stampede purely based on this action? Ya...nobody. I would be curious to see the difference in cost between the two vendors.
    Being that mini donuts and Superdogs are why my girlfriend we... We probably won't go this year.

Originally posted by rx7boi
    Big deal.

Vote with your dollar and don't go see Canine Stars.

If Canine Stars turn out to be a big hit this year then it sends a bigger message than what people are crying about.

It's free.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Originally posted by suntan
    It's free.
    In that case, vote with your attendance.

I'm not sure why they would even do this.

It was the most popular show at the stampede. Why fix what isn't broken?

Maybe they should have moved it to areas that could never fill seats and move the "trendy/new" shows in where superdogs was. There was never enough seats for superdogs yet empty stadiums for their new show every year.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I didnt realize locals went to the Stampede still ....

This decision has zero effect on me. I have lived here since 2004 and I have never been to the stampede and have no desire to go. Even away from the stampede itself, the amount of drunken idiots who figure they can put on a cowboy hat and turn into a douche makes me absolutely crazy! At the stampede itself would be nothing short of a guarantee I would end up in some form of confrontation I don't want...

That said, all this "Canadian only" bullshit is getting a little long in the tooth, especially at these levels. Companies can choose who to do business with based on many things, but the bottom line is if the Canadian versions were offering a service that justified their costs, they would be getting hired, plain and simple.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I love dogs. The show... well... couldn't wait for it to end the one time I went.

The fact is, the Stampede just isn't something that is of interest to me anyway. Abusing animals for entertainment, mediocre and unhealthy food at high prices, rides which I would have found interesting when I was 10, fair-style kids games,... nah... nothing to see there. Hell, I don't even go out and get drunk anymore - which is why half of the attendees probably go these days.

...and all while battling crowds and waiting in lineups? No thanks.

The *only* thing they provide which I would ever want to see is the concerts, but I can do that on my own.

To me, the Stampede is completely over-glorified and represents a culture which died when Calgary became a city of corporate oil folk.

My Ride
    Bicycle

It's the same every year. Something different is nice.

Trampede 2016

Originally posted by Kloubek
    I love dogs. The show... well... couldn't wait for it to end the one time I went.

The fact is, the Stampede just isn't something that is of interest to me anyway. Abusing animals for entertainment, mediocre and unhealthy food at high prices, rides which I would have found interesting when I was 10, fair-style kids games,... nah... nothing to see there. Hell, I don't even go out and get drunk anymore - which is why half of the attendees probably go these days.

...and all while battling crowds and waiting in lineups? No thanks.

The *only* thing they provide which I would ever want to see is the concerts, but I can do that on my own.

To me, the Stampede is completely over-glorified and represents a culture which died when Calgary became a city of corporate oil folk.

Amen

Stampede has had a decent run, time to close the tents as it is a wart on the city. We ain't Texas, it was never a compliment to pretending we were.

My Ride
    Z

You don't leave the city much eh? There's ranching literally in every direction. Stampede is a world class competition. Spruce meadows is a world class facility. I hate horses but it's ignorant to say the culture is gone or was never here
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

^ That's what I was thinking, either doesn't really know where he lives or, doesn't like it. Stampede may be mostly a shit show anymore but there's a big heritage there, and it's still alive outside the City limits.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Meh. I still go every year with the wife and my youngest. My oldest boy seems to love to brag how cool he is by never going...whatever. All the power to ya. Same sentiment as people who like to state how much they hate Tim Horton's coffee.

I go. I enjoy it. The family has fun. He likes seeing the livestock and petting the horses. He likes the arcades and loves to people watch and just enjoy the lights and the sounds. We go in the afternoon. Play a few games, ride a few rides. Get some junk food. Grab some beers. Watch a free concert at the Coca Cola stage and then wait for fireworks.
    We don't go to the Stampede or the Grandstand show. Not our bag. I usually drop a hundred or so and have a great time.
    Next.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast