Quantcast
track day insurance? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: track day insurance?

My Ride
    fg2

Default track day insurance?

anyone ever bought track day insurance in alberta?

i found these guys http://www.trackdayinsurance.ca/

looks to be about 250 bucks a day to insure a 30k vehicle.

is that reasonable?

anyone have experience with these guys or with any other company?

anyone ever buy track day insurance and actually end up making a claim? any issues?

My Ride
    2002 330xi, 1992 Miata, 1996 Spec Miata, 2012 Ram

This will really depend on the type of event you are participating in. Track Junkies has been approved by Stoneridge Specialty Insurance for their insurance produce, but it would not be valid in the time attack group.

As for if it is reasonable, that all depends on how you look at things. If you do crash it would, but if you look at it based on probability of having varying degrees of damage it won't. Remember, the insurance companies have looked at this from every angle and know they will make money.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 05:00 PM.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

After seeing a car burn to the ground at a private track event at Racecity several years ago it can most definitely happen. I haven't tracked since because of that risk.

My Ride

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    ^^ According to the rules, it technically doesn't cover Autocross as it is a competitive timed event
    But who would pay $250 a day to cover their car for autocross?

My Ride

Originally posted by 88CRX
    After seeing a car burn to the ground at a private track event at Racecity several years ago it can most definitely happen. I haven't tracked since because of that risk.
    Don't get me wrong, it can and does happen, but at $250 a day to cover a $30k car that would be of mean for every 240 car-track days you would be expecting one fully written off car and two that needed $15k in repairs. I haven't seen a lot of Track Junkies but I think they are considerably below this rate. In the need it is up to each individual to decide if this worth it themselves.

Also note, fire damage is only covered if it immediately follows an accident which is not how most lapping fires happen in my experience.
    Last edited by Stuart; 04-13-2016 at 01:44 PM.

My Ride
    fg2

Originally posted by Stuart
    This will really depend on the type of event you are participating in. Track Junkies has been approved by Stoneridge Specialty Insurance for their insurance produce, but it would not be valid in the time attack group.

As for if it is reasonable, that all depends on how you look at things. If you do crash it would, but if you look at it based on probability of having varying degrees of damage it won't. Remember, the insurance companies have looked at this from every angle and know they will make money.
    do you know what the stoneridge policy covers for these track junkie events?

i'm assuming it covers damage from going off track and wrecking suspension, crashing into a wall etc. but probably doesnt cover mechanical things like an engine blowing up, or grenading a transmission or something.

My Ride
    fg2

Originally posted by 88CRX
    you mean that white integra? i was there for that. shitty deal for sure.

My Ride

Originally posted by dansmith11

do you know what the stoneridge policy covers for these track junkie events?

i'm assuming it covers damage from going off track and wrecking suspension, crashing into a wall etc. but probably doesnt cover mechanical things like an engine blowing up, or grenading a transmission or something.
    I have not been able to find details about the Stoneridge policy but I would expect it to be fairly similar to the posted link. As you've mentioned impact damage is the main coverage with mechanical only if it is as a result of a crash. Also it seems that the deductible is fairly high (10-25% of vehicle value) so it seems that major damage is all that would be worth claiming.

My Ride
    fg2

Originally posted by Stuart

I have not been able to find details about the Stoneridge policy but I would expect it to be fairly similar to the posted link. As you've mentioned impact damage is the main coverage with mechanical only if it is as a result of a crash. Also it seems that the deductible is fairly high (10-25% of vehicle value) so it seems that major damage is all that would be worth claiming.
    yeah you're probably right. i guess it was foolish of me to think an insurance company might actually offer a product that would be a good deal for the customer lol

My Ride

Originally posted by dansmith11

yeah you're probably right. i guess it was foolish of me to think an insurance company might actually offer a product that would be a good deal for the customer lol
    It could still be worth it in certain circumstances where the loss of a car could have additional negative side effects. Such as if it was your only car and you require it to get to work. Also, if you are only doing one or two events the cost may not be a hindrance while providing a safety net.

My Ride
    Toyota 86 Wannabe (FR-S)

hmmmmm
    Last edited by Joe-G; 07-12-2018 at 11:26 PM.

Photo by: Kevin Chow

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

I personally wouldn't track a car that I need to get to work. Autocross sure, for the most part is pretty safe, but I've seen a few cars smashed up at Castrol. If you can't afford to push the car off a cliff, you probably should think twice about tracking it. Odds are good that it will come home in one piece, but if you can't handle losing the car then definitely look into insurance or a cheaper track car. There's a reason miatas and 944s are such popular track cars. You're totally right though, insurance companies aren't providing these policies to help you out, in the long run they will make money.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Hmmm makes me think twice about lapping with my MSM and maybe just lapping with my Sport. It would be a shame to lose the MSM if I run out of talent (hasn't happened yet thankfully).

My Ride
    2016 Hyundai Tucson

What you need is a tow truck to take you away from the track and dump you in a ditch somewhere and you have a new "accident scene" :-) That may or may not have happened at Knockhill Circuit in Scotland on track days for cars and bikes ;-)

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 05:00 PM.