Quantcast
Bill C-223 the new firearm act introduced into its first reading - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Bill C-223 the new firearm act introduced into its first reading

My Ride
    DA6, R59

Default Bill C-223 the new firearm act introduced into its first reading

What are you thoughts?

Coles notes from
    http://new.nfa.ca/red-alert-to-the-firearms-community/ :

On April 12, 2016, Liberal Senator Céline Hervieux Payette has introduced Bill S-223 in the Canadian Senate. This bill is the most serious threat to the firearms owners’ community since Bill C-68. Here is a link to it:

http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublicati...&DocId=8177232

The main features of Bill S-223 are as follows:

Current firearms categories are replaced with:
    Hunting firearms;
    Circumscribed firearms; and
    Prohibited firearms.
    Unlike now, “prohibited firearm” is the new “default category”. If a particular firearm is not included in one of the other two categories, it is “prohibited” by default.
    To qualify as a “hunting firearm”, government approval will be required by way of Order in Council for any specific model.
    “Circumscribed firearms” include current “restricted firearms”, as well as all center-fire semi-automatic shotguns and rifles, other than .22 rimfire rifles.
    As a result of re-classification to “circumscribed firearms”, all semi-automatic shotguns and rifles will become illegal for hunting purposes.
    Except for collection purposes, possession of “circumscribed firearms” will only be allowed at shooting clubs and registered storage facilities. The owner of such a firearm will not even be allowed to transport it himself, or keep it at home.
    This bill is meant to come into effect one year after its royal sanction. In essence, firearms owners will have one year to register their semi-auto rifles and shotguns, and find a suitable storage facility (few of which currently exist) to store them, along with their handguns and other restricted/prohibited firearms.
    It is quite obvious that one of the goals of this bill is to make ownership of semi-automatic firearms so onerous that people will surrender them to the police to be destroyed.

WHAT IS THE NFA DOING AND WHAT CAN YOU DO?

We are working to ensure that Liberal party MPs understand that passing such a law would be a major problem for them in the next federal election. If it were to pass, we want to ensure that such law would cause a huge uproar in the firearms owning public that would not die down.

In the view of the NFA, the best thing to do is to write a polite, but directly worded letter to the FEDERAL MINISTER OF JUSTICE AND ATTORNEY GENERAL FOR CANADA, MS. WILSON-RAYBOULD. Copy your letter to the MINISTER OF PUBLIC SAFETY, RALPH GOODALE.

Tell these politicians in your own words that more firearms legislation is not acceptable. It is clear from the research that more firearms laws only affect the law-abiding, and not the criminal elements in society. Tell them that you want Bill S-223 defeated, and that you want the government to focus on the economy and other important matters, not more gun laws. Firearms legislation is expensive and does nothing to prevent crime.

Write them both at this address:

House of Commons
    Parliament Buildings
    Ottawa, Ontario
    K1A0A6
    I personally haven't read the whole bill from the government website but I would like to see the actual list of firearms would potentially be in each classification before making judgement.
    Last edited by jdmXSI; 04-22-2016 at 11:16 PM.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Wow, that is so fucking absurd to expect everyone to keep all their firearms, with the exception of hunting rifles and collectables, at the range or storage facility. I really don't know what to say.

This is the "long gun registry" all over again... This time it's on steroids. Thank god all my rifles are bolt or lever action... They seem to be exempt?

I did this anyway out of convenience, but I don't agree with it being forced on everyone. I almost guarantee it passes though, so that's disappointing. Anything that has a "gun safety" veil is easy to get support for.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Massive non-compliance will be what happens. You can't prosecute 1mm+ people. Especially when you consider that the majority of these firearms have never been registered and there are no purchase records you can rely on.
    Last edited by FraserB; 04-23-2016 at 06:18 AM.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Grimace

Can't use my semi-auto shotgun anywhere but a range, wtf. Better get my rifle and pistol sooner than later now also. I guess I will be writing a letter to my MP and the liberal ministers.

My Ride
    Lease

brutal

My Ride
    2015 GMC 2500HD Dirtymax

Let the hoarding commence.

You think this guy will get these guns registered and then store them at the appropriate facilities? Or to whomever he sells them to?

My Ride
    V8s

God this is awful. I hope it doesn't pass.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I think this particular senator has tried this in the past so I'm hoping it's not a realistic bill that could actually pass. If it does then wow this country is going backwards fast.

Starts with guns. Soon it will be fast cars.

It never ends.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

The saying ive always used is "gun laws affect good people, not bad people..". The liberal government seems to have a very confused view of a law abiding firearm owner and gang member/criminal. Criminals dont give a shit about laws, permits, att's but the liberals continue to place restrictions and blame on millions of safe, respectful, law abiding gun owners. As I said in the Cabela's theft thread, I have spent a small fortune on safes and security to make sure that my guns stay safe in my home and dont end up on the street. Its extremely frustrating and disrespectful to every law abiding Canadian that your own government seems to think that we are too incompetent to handle our own firearms while they go ahead and issue Canadian citizenships to convicted terrorists. Its just another step toward stripping Canadians of rights (yes i know we dont have a 2nd amendment as a right to own guns) and privileges by own own government. Good riddance to Payette as the beast is retiring.
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I just looked into this more and I wouldn't be too concerned about it, so paranoid gun owners can probably calm down:

1) This is actually something that she's proposing, not necessarily the Liberal party. She's tried this before only for it to get shot down (no pun intended). It sounds like even the Liberal party thought she was out to lunch with her previous attempt haha

http://www.csaaa.org/senate-bill-s-223-update/

4. Senate bills rarely succeed. Private Member's Bills rarely succeed.
    http://nncfb.ca/bill-s-223-read-second-time/

Dated April 19:
    It is important to note, however, that second reading of S-223 has not been completed. A motion was carried to adjourn the debate until Senate’s next sitting scheduled for tomorrow. It is also important to note that experts believe this bill will be defeated during this stage much like it had been last year, especially given the Conservative majority in the Senate.
    2) She retired yesterday, so this really looked like it was her last chance to cause a fuss on her way out the door.

Yeah, this is about what I had imagined her to look like

My Ride
    DA6, R59

Celine after retirement?

My Ride
    Lease

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    I just looked into this more and I wouldn't be too concerned about it, so paranoid gun owners can probably calm down:

1) This is actually something that she's proposing, not necessarily the Liberal party. She's tried this before only for it to get shot down (no pun intended). It sounds like even the Liberal party thought she was out to lunch with her previous attempt haha

http://www.csaaa.org/senate-bill-s-223-update/

http://nncfb.ca/bill-s-223-read-second-time/

Dated April 19:

2) She retired yesterday, so this really looked like it was her last chance to cause a fuss on her way out the door.

Yeah, this is about what I had imagined her to look like

Looks like someone that drives a government issued Ford Escape with regular plate numbers, but those black fleet stickers that always wants to drive in front of everyone else going 80km/hr on any roads.

Paedophiles are being released to our communities on a daily basis.

Start there.