Quantcast
2016/2017 Ski and Snowboard Thread - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 17 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016/2017 Ski and Snowboard Thread

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

I managed to snag a Norquay midweek season pass for $120, I haven't been out snowboarding in about 10 years, and Norquay isn't the best location, but I'm going to try and make the most of it.
    Last edited by RickDaTuner; 12-22-2016 at 03:19 PM.

COP has been busting their asses off. Main park is almost open should have the mid jump line up this week hopefully. XL jump line and pipe should be following soon after. Nice spread of rails put out in the upper park at the moment.

Originally posted by J-hop
    Back then being good was to be able to pull corked 7s off the biggest jump COP could build (not me that's for sure but my buddy would pull them all day long).
    The large jumps at COP nowadays are massive... That shit is often bigger than some of the XL's at the local mountain parks.
    Last edited by mazdavirgin; 12-22-2016 at 04:06 PM.

Originally posted by mazdavirgin
    COP has been busting their asses off. Main park is almost open should have the mid jump line up this week hopefully. XL jump line and pipe should be following soon after. Nice spread of rails put out in the upper park at the moment.

The large jumps at COP nowadays are massive... That shit is often bigger than some of the XL's at the local mountain parks.
    That's awesome I'm going to try to make it out there Saturday and next week to get my feet under me again. They have definitely entered into the stupid big realm. 10 years ago it wasn't so bad. I'll probably never hit the big tables but at least I'd like to get good enough That I'm not getting embarrassed by every tween out there riding.

Just funny to see how with age the benchmark of "good" changes. I'm a shit rider and I'm not afraid to admit that but when I say that to people I work with who claim to be good riders and I end up schooling them I have to shake my head.

Edit: don't forget every second Wednesday of the month between January and April are toonie days at norquay!!!

http://winter.banffnorquay.com/event/toonie-day-2/
    Last edited by J-hop; 12-22-2016 at 08:16 PM.

I'll probably never hit the big tables but at least I'd like to get good enough That I'm not getting embarrassed by every tween out there riding.
    Well lol they are training the next generation of Olympians at COP so you might very well forever be embarrassed by the tweens. Kids are just so go nowadays and they have dedicated freestyle coaching 7 days a week at COP. It's unreal how much the sport has progressed and how good kids are at very young ages. Nothing quite like watching 8 year olds throw 5's... When the actual Olympians roll in it's just unreal to watch the tricks they throw down.

COP has reallly morphed into a premiere training facility with it also having dedicated foam pits, trampolines, and air bag jumps both kickers and pipe lip versions. You get international athletes and big name pro riders coming through. Sort of fun to shoot the shit with some of the pros in the pipe while waiting for your turn to drop.

Plus side of this though is that the park is generally top notch and the seasons pass is dirt cheap if you get the early bird. Think I paid 260? It's fun to ride after work in the evenings and a good way to see some continung progress. The kids though are always going to be miles ahead though and when you ride at COP you realise how shitty the riders are out at the mountain parks in comparison.

COP was awesome this morning!!!! Got two hours in, perfect conditions to relearn how to ride without much risk. A little too slow for the tables, had to straight line even the small ones. Progression park is great, only hit about a 1/4 of the rails in 2 hours. I'm definitely horrible but more came back to me than I thought.

COP was awesome this morning!!!! Got two hours in, perfect conditions to relearn how to ride without much risk. A little too slow for the tables, had to straight line even the small ones. Progression park is great, only hit about a 1/4 of the rails in 2 hours. I'm definitely horrible but more came back to me than I thought.
    Yeah I like the morning there they are usually very quiet so you can lap the park. Everything is freshly groomed and raked. COP has come a long way with their park and they now regularly paint the jumps which is a big help on days like today. Jump line does suffer though when there's too much fresh stuff though since everything is built with groomed conditions in mind.

All in all though I find it to be a pretty good alternative to getting out the mountains. The park is pretty top notch and gets changed up a few times per season. Usually starts "tammer" and progresses as the year goes to a more serious setup.

The XL line though FML shits too scary for me. Even the rails are mental... Maybe if I was way younger and didn't care about busting more bones

My Ride
    rally pig

in Invermere right now and hitting Panorama tomorrow as first ride of the season. pretty stoked with the fresh snow. the drive wasnt fun though

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Any recommendations on where I can rent downhill skiing gear? Need skis, boots and poles; would prefer somewhere on the deep south around McKenzie or QP
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Originally posted by FraserB
    Any recommendations on where I can rent downhill skiing gear? Need skis, boots and poles; would prefer somewhere on the deep south around McKenzie or QP
    Not that it helps answer your question but I believe the Costco discount tickets give you a 10% or so discount on rental equipment at the hill.

Hit up COP the last two days. Definitely back to the usual poo glacier I remember after that beautiful snow day on Christmas Eve.

Been practicing on the mini-pipe until they open the big one. Mini one kinda sucks as it isn't vertical so you really have to pop away from the wall. Good for practicing frontside spins at the bottom though. Spinning frontside (beyond 180s) was always my weakest point. Landing frontside 3's pretty well now though (whoop dee do I know)

Originally posted by taemo
    in Invermere right now and hitting Panorama tomorrow as first ride of the season. pretty stoked with the fresh snow. the drive wasnt fun though
    How was pano??

Hit up COP the last two days. Definitely back to the usual poo glacier I remember after that beautiful snow day on Christmas Eve.

Been practicing on the mini-pipe until they open the big one. Mini one kinda sucks as it isn't vertical so you really have to pop away from the wall. Good for practicing frontside spins at the bottom though. Spinning frontside (beyond 180s) was always my weakest point. Landing frontside 3's pretty well now though (whoop dee do I know)
    Superpipe should have been open. It's been open since the 26th? You just have to snag it early mornings before it gets closed for training or maintenance. Wind the last few mornings has been killer. Makes it so hard to get over to hump the jump line and tricky to stay on the jibs. Every year I forget how big that pipe is though. Currently content to just air out on both sides. Too scared to spin anything in there

My Ride
    rally pig

How was pano??
    morning was nice, good fresh snow on the bottom and top.
    middle was icy on some spots as it's pretty exposed to the sun and wind.

overall, my favourite place because it doesnt get busy as sunshine or lake louise.

My Ride
    Lariat

Was at Louise yesterday, conditions are as good as I can ever remember for the end of December. Was super busy, but found fresh stashes all over the mountain. Looking forward to getting out there again as soon as the holiday is over and its less busy.
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    R171 and Sttutgarts SUV

Was just browsing some options for a last minute trip and found fares to Tokyo for $620 all in on delta pp. Air Canada has the direct flight in the $770-$820 range too all in pp. Flights for these fares are available for the next 3 months but we will probably leave in a couple of weeks.

Anyways I recal I thread on skiing in Japan here on beyond but cant locate it. Looking for recomendations for an area to stay 5 nights and enjoy some winter sports. My better half sticks to green runs and she will probably only ski one day. We are looking for a resort town similar to Whistler that has lots of other options for activities and restaurants besides just catching powder. If anyone has any tips to start our search they'd be greatly appreciated.

My Ride
    2010 S4

Originally posted by 20incheyes
    Was just browsing some options for a last minute trip and found fares to Tokyo for $620 all in on delta pp. Air Canada has the direct flight in the $770-$820 range too all in pp. Flights for these fares are available for the next 3 months but we will probably leave in a couple of weeks.

Anyways I recal I thread on skiing in Japan here on beyond but cant locate it. Looking for recomendations for an area to stay 5 nights and enjoy some winter sports. My better half sticks to green runs and she will probably only ski one day. We are looking for a resort town similar to Whistler that has lots of other options for activities and restaurants besides just catching powder. If anyone has any tips to start our search they'd be greatly appreciated.
    Niseko on the north island is a full service resort town and where we spent most of our time. There is really no advanced terrain just the best bottomless tree skiing anywhere. Lots of simple stuff for the wife.

good info here http://www.powderhounds.com/Japan.aspx

Bring a snorkel

My Ride
    Exploded.

Anyone have recommendations on where to get a new board?

I have a wellness account that I have to use and I find my 153 is scary when it's high speed. So much chatter and unstable.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by flipstah

I have a wellness account that I have to use and I find my 153 is scary when it's high speed. So much chatter and unstable.
    Spend it on some lessons

You have a pipe rider's pro model, it should be plenty stable at speed, stiff with a good edge

Originally posted by flipstah

other potential problem could be weight. How much do you weigh?

Should still be able to hold an edge though. If you're like me you might have to go back to basics. I grew up riding almost exclusively park. You end up never really learning how to carve properly. A lot of sliding instead of actual carving.

My Ride
    Exploded.

other potential problem could be weight. How much do you weigh?

Should still be able to hold an edge though. If you're like me you might have to go back to basics. I grew up riding almost exclusively park. You end up never really learning how to carve properly. A lot of sliding instead of actual carving.
    5ft6 165lbs.

Originally posted by ercchry

Spend it on some lessons

You have a pipe rider's pro model, it should be plenty stable at speed, stiff with a good edge
    Hmm maybe. It rides well carving around on blues but some black runs, it just feels too fast. One slight twitch and I'm turning.

If that makes sense.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

You should always be turning... so no, does not make sense hahaha. You should always be on an edge. If you are trying to ride flat then you are going to have a bad time mmmkay?

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 17 ... LastLast