Quantcast
$6600 expenses for photography- school me on this - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: $6600 expenses for photography- school me on this

Default $6600 expenses for photography- school me on this

Ok, first off I'm not really for or against the liberals in general. One thing I've found is our media appears to be fairly pro conservative IMO. So I try to research any public accusations made against any party to ensure I'm not getting just the conservative view on it.

Now the most recent example that everyone has heard about is the $6600 dollars spent for photography at the recent climate summit.

Everyone I have talked to (very conservative people for the most part) have given me some variation of the line "those damn entitled liberals throwing thousands of dollars away for stupid photographs".

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but from my research the Harper government spent roughly $2.3 million during their time on photographs. This works out to about $236,000/year or $4500/week. John Baird during a 1 week UN trip spent $13,000 on photography.

The expenses being questioned in this case were $6600 over two weeks.

Now although I may not agree that thousands of dollars spent on photography is always warranted I also don't see this being anything exceptional given what the conservatives were spending.

So why all of a sudden is there such outrage? Why do people seem to think this is a liberal problem not a government problem in general? What am I missing??

Discuss!

My Ride
    Z

There is no problem. Just role reversal
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

Originally posted by g-m
    There is no problem. Just role reversal
    I kind of get the feeling though that few people batted an eye at the conservatives photography expenses during their time and now the liberals and having to go on the defensive over stupid things like this rather than "focus" on real issues.

And I do think we should criticize all governments. But do it in a rational fair manner so as not to paint one worse than the other for doing the same thing.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Liberal nut swinger states he isn't and then tries to blame the Liberals being dickheads on the Conservatives.

Oh lawd

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Liberal nut swinger states he isn't and then tries to blame the Liberals being dickheads on the Conservatives.

Oh lawd
    No no I agree with you they have both done a dickheaded thing with these expenditures. But I'm seeing it portrayed as a liberal problem and used to elevate the conservatives over the liberals some how. Even the conservatives themselves were quoted saying something to the extent that this is just another example of liberal entitlement.

Originally posted by J-hop

No no I agree with you they have both done a dickheaded thing with these expenditures. But I'm seeing it portrayed as a liberal problem and used to elevate the conservatives over the liberals some how. Even the conservatives themselves were quoted saying something to the extent that this is just another example of liberal entitlement.
    FFS.

This isn't that hard to understand (again).

Let's start on reality 101 shall we?

That is, you people are delusional if you think that ANY of the main stream political parties have your best interest in mind.

The PC's would have introduced taxes just like the NDP are doing. (except not on the retarded guise of pollution reduction).

Oh fuck, I just said "retarded". Can't wait for the bleeding hearts to pursue me on that. But whatever, if you are such a thing, then you support them and let them live in your house.

Uh huh.Let's finally get down to truth.

Haha, very blunt, I like it.

Digital airbrushing doesn't come cheap?
    Cocoa $9,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    changes every year

a good or a bad pic can make or break people like this. you gotta pay to play. that's my thought on it....more or less.

Death by a thousand cuts is really the only play the CPC has for any hope at beating the Liberals in the forseeable future, so this contributes to that.

It's all about the associations you can make, it doesn't matter what's been done before. It's about how you spin it and how repeating the same things make it what the other guy is about.

For example, this photo-op cost $47,000 for fighter jets the military-loving CPC had ten years to buy but didn't because it's the military hating Liberals fault! But after a couple decades of saying it it's the Liberals who don't buy things and waste money on photo ops.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/f-35...less-1.1182431

Happens the other way too. I still hear about how lucky we were that Harper's Hidden Agenda didn't go through (as if they were actually going to make any real push to reverse gay marriage and ban abortion and whatever else would have ended their mandate to govern permanently).
    Last edited by kertejud2; 08-29-2016 at 07:46 PM.

Good points, At the end of the day it could be argued that the conservatives are doing exactly what they are supposed to do as the opposition which is to keep the government in check and call them on their bullshit. It could be that the liberals and NDP didn't do a good enough job and as a result the conservatives got away with 2.3 million in photographs during their term!

I think what is getting me more is how many people are falling for the utter bullshit. I think both the conservatives and liberals have some pretty shit ideas. I don't really think there is a clear winner at the end of the day. But from my conversations with people around specific incidents like this one a lot of people do think there is a clear winner

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

$6,600 for photography over two weeks?! That guy got ripped off, photographers EASILY charge $2,000/day for weddings.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

2000 a day for a wedding seems to be on the real low side. Our photographer was 6k and that was 5 years ago.

Even baby photographers charge like $500 for 30 mins.
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

The question isn't the cost, its the why?

You need ONE image from an event like this. There are tons of photogs/reporters there anyways. It just goes to show how out of touch politicians are!

Its death by a thousand cuts. Its like nutley spending millions on advertising for her bullshit. We KNOW they are doing it, advertising it to us doesnt somehow make us less pissed about it.

My Ride
    06 S2000

You need ONE image from an event like this. There are tons of photogs/reporters there anyways. It just goes to show how out of touch politicians are!

Its death by a thousand cuts. Its like nutley spending millions on advertising for her bullshit. We KNOW they are doing it, advertising it to us doesnt somehow make us less pissed about it.
    Because if a photographer is going to come all the way out to the event, haul all that equipment, and do all that work, all they're going to do is take one picture?

No.

You take thousands, you pick a few hundred that look good, and then you hand them to the client to pick what they like.

I paid $1500 USD for 5 hours from a photographer for my wedding, I got 470 RAW shots, and 80 edited photos out of that.

$6600 CAD is fucking nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Historical documentation. Money well spent IMO. I mean, if you didn't have a photographer on staff 24/7, the US would've had to call their on-call photographer and wait until they arrive so they can capture historic moments like this:

click for larger version

Imagine making the entire military wait to capture Bin Laden because the photog wasn't on hand?

Off topic, but I love the white house year in Photos. I really wish Canada would do this yearly.

https://medium.com/the-white-house/b...s-b5064a44df4a

https://www.whitehouse.gov/photos-and-video/2014-photos

etc.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

The weird thing of all this is that the photographer isn't just a standard member of the entourage and that this is a specific bill for this trip.

Wouldn't having a genuine staff photographer on salary make more sense?

Must be a security nightmare having to clear photographers and their gear for every individual trip to be that close to the PM.

Ultimately people want to know what Prime Celebrity One is doing at all times of his life, can't do that if you don't cart around cameras at all hours of the day. You can't expect him to take his own selfies. In that sense 6,600 dollars divided by all the people who seem to give a shit about what the PM is doing day to day is a pretty cheap bone to throw to the taxpayers.

If the US outlines the costs I bet it would be closer to 50 grand a trip
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by killramos
    The weird thing of all this is that the photographer isn't just a standard member of the entourage and that this is a specific bill for this trip.

Wouldn't having a genuine staff photographer on salary make more sense?
    You need multiple photographers at an event. It's not like a wedding where you can stage shit, and even then, the actual ceremonies where you can't stage shit is usually shot by multiple photographers from multiple angles.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by rage2

Historical documentation. Money well spent IMO. I mean, if you didn't have a photographer on staff 24/7, the US would've had to call their on-call photographer and wait until they arrive so they can capture historic moments like this:

click for larger version

Imagine making the entire military wait to capture Bin Laden because the photog wasn't on hand?

Off topic, but I love the white house year in Photos. I really wish Canada would do this yearly.

https://medium.com/the-white-house/b...s-b5064a44df4a

https://www.whitehouse.gov/photos-and-video/2014-photos

etc.
    Yeah, there was a documentary on Netflix about this guy and what he does day to day which was really cool. There's almost nowhere where he isn't allowed to go if he's with the President. All he does is follow him around all day and take photos and he's not allowed to delete anything cause everything goes into archives.

I'd love a job like that where I just follow people around and photograph things for documentation purposes.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Yeah, there was a documentary on Netflix about this guy and what he does day to day which was really cool. There's almost nowhere where he isn't allowed to go if he's with the President. All he does is follow him around all day and take photos and he's not allowed to delete anything cause everything goes into archives.

I'd love a job like that where I just follow people around and photograph things for documentation purposes.
    Follow T-Swift to get stuff like this!
    http://www.boredpanda.com/taylor-swi...toshop-battle/
    Ultracrepidarian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast