Quantcast
C-Train Driver Walks off Job - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: C-Train Driver Walks off Job

My Ride
    G6

Originally posted by FraserB
    Even if it is, once the worker states that he feels it is unsafe to continue working, works stops. He doesn't keep driving to the next stop for his supervisor to show up and conduct the investigation.
    That's a very "everyone is responsible for my failures except me" attitude. I know we live in a paranoid safety culture, but this incident isn't about safety, it's about stupidity and failure to perform one's work. If he was tired or reaching the max allowed working time, he should've notified his supervisor 15 minutes BEFORE the incident... Zero sympathy for this guy; he should be fired.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Originally posted by Feruk
    If he was tired or reaching the max allowed working time, he should've notified his supervisor 15 minutes BEFORE the incident... Zero sympathy for this guy; he should be fired.
    Does it say anywhere that he didn't do that?
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Originally posted by SKR

Does it say anywhere that he didn't do that?
    I kinda of assumed the opposite, since his replacement only took 15 minutes I figured that was why he stopped. If he kept going the replacement would have been further away. The global article said he stopped after talking to his supervisor.

My Ride
    NC1

15 min delay. No one died. Everyone chill lol
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Originally posted by max_boost
    But a 22 year old got slightly inconvenienced and had to call her dad!

Won't someone please think of the adult children!

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Originally posted by OTown
    Its not his fault, its policy and law that mandates strict hours of work for conductors. If it was in fact at the end of his 12 hour shift and the company decided to keep him going then I commend him for that. Its not just a 'union' thing, its a requirement for safety. Do we really want a repeat of what happened at Tuscany?
    Except he got the policy wrong. He can drive up to 15 hours in a row...

It's OK though Union gonna Union so no repercussions... Just like the guy doing crosswords while driving the train or the lady who drove off the end of the rails.

My Ride
    Bicycle

That's a very "everyone is responsible for my failures except me" attitude. I know we live in a paranoid safety culture, but this incident isn't about safety, it's about stupidity and failure to perform one's work. If he was tired or reaching the max allowed working time, he should've notified his supervisor 15 minutes BEFORE the incident... Zero sympathy for this guy; he should be fired.
    Nobody knows anything leading to work stoppage. It's too early to make such statements.

My Ride
    G6

Originally posted by Xtrema
    Nobody knows anything leading to work stoppage. It's too early to make such statements.
    Responding to what I learned from reading the article. New info may change perspective.

This... but burn him at the stake!!!!!!!!

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Originally posted by J-hop

This... but burn him at the stake!!!!!!!!
    Yes. Fire him because his shift was over!
    Last edited by btimbit; 11-21-2016 at 06:30 PM.

My Ride
    NC1

Responding to what I learned from reading the article. New info may change perspective.
    But until then, just assume the extreme. Did the C-train riders get a refund?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Bicycle

But until then, just assume the extreme. Did the C-train riders get a refund?
    No, rider should pay more for such little delay and a story to tell to boot.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

Originally posted by Minimalist
    Why do we even need train drivers? In Japan there are many lines without a driver. I took a train for two years, 20 minutes, 10x/week before someone told me it was a driverless train. Security? Live camera and audio monitors to HQ.

Fire them all. If your job can be done by a computer or vending machine you're in trouble.
    Calgary transit does not have the resources for this. their public safety office has small numbers and a ridiculously high turnover. i see new faces once every 2-3 weeks.

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Originally posted by ShermanEF9

Calgary transit does not have the resources for this. their public safety office has small numbers and a ridiculously high turnover. i see new faces once every 2-3 weeks.
    Which public safety office are you refering to?

What a moron, he should be fired immediately

How hard is that job? You're sitting in a chair and you don't even have to steer

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by slinkie
    What a moron, he should be fired immediately

How hard is that job? You're sitting in a chair and you don't even have to steer
    You have to worry about drunks running on track and splatters on your windshields.

It's easy until you found out it's a high risk, boring job. Worse of both world.

I'm surprised everyone jumps to the conclusion that driver is at fault. He may be but he also could kill someone with the train if he did it 12hr straight already.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

I don't have stats on how many people commit suicide by getting hit by the train but it's around 5-10 I'd bet. We get called to make sure things are working everytime.
    Last early shift someone wanted to drive down the tracks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Guy needed 4matic obviously.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2002 330xi, 1992 Miata, 1996 Spec Miata, 2012 Ram

Originally posted by Xtrema

You have to worry about drunks running on track and splatters on your windshields.

It's easy until you found out it's a high risk, boring job. Worse of both world.

I'm surprised everyone jumps to the conclusion that driver is at fault. He may be but he also could kill someone with the train if he did it 12hr straight already.
    The thing is 12 hours does not magically make him dangerous, he would have already been a danger prior. the 12 hour mark is simply the point selected where the average person would begin to be over a calculated risk.

My Ride
    '05 Subaru LGT wagon (5MT)

I can tell that a lot of people here and on the OP's link do not and have not worked in a safety critical role so I will leave this here for you:

https://work.alberta.ca/occupational...nt-danger.html

A few years ago right to refuse work was re-legislated into responsibility to refuse work. Now both an employee and employer who continue to work unsafely can (and have) get fined.

If the driver felt he passed the point where he was no longer safe it looks like he followed the correct procedure. This is personal judgement and nobody can tell him he is wrong. His employer's and colleague's treatment of him may (and often does) change as a result, which is unfortunate, but one of the goals of change from right to responsibility to refuse is to reduce the negative backlash against people who make the correct decision. Part of this is to refrain from making a judgement on the employee's decision, which I know is anathema to posting on a news site or forum.

My, and a lot of people's, point of view is that once you can say to yourself or others "within 15 to 30 minutes I will no longer be safe to work" you are actually already no longer safe to work. People most frequently over-estimate their performance, not under-estimate their performance.

It sounds to me like this driver should have made the call several stops before he halted the train, both to avoid a stop in service and also to take himself out of the seat when his performance actually degraded to an unsafe level.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast