Quantcast
Strong, lightweight rims - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Strong, lightweight rims

My Ride
    EG2 / RMKS13

Question Strong, lightweight rims

Hey folks,

I'm looking for a few brand names of rim manufacturers who have strong, lightweight rims. I'm looking into getting some low profile tires this summer for drifting, and I'd like a set of rims that would look pretty good, but are also meant for performance.

I've looked into Konig and Racing Hart, but I've only found one set that's remotely turned my crank. If anyone could give a couple of suggestions, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay

My Ride
    Accord 6-6, Tacoma

You should do a search for a good set of forged rims. The are very strong and the lightest option to go with. Companies like Spoon, Regamaster, 5 Zigen, and OZ just to name a few have these available.

Deetz
    Honda/Acura guy

My Ride
    Audi S4

Buddy CLub P1 Racing II. They are forged and 2 peice. Look hot too, and are 17lbs for 17". Plenty of offsets and sizes to choose from. Look at about $2300 just for the rims.

Lots and lots of Volks.

Regamaster

Just search around for lightweight wheels. Plenty out there.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

what are they gonig on? and how much you got to spend?

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

Why does everyone have to be so hardcore and go drifting now?

With that aside, you'll have to let us know your budget. Theres a lot of very strong forged wheels that you could look at, but it all depends on what your willing to spend.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”
    —Cicero, Roman statesman and lawyer

My Ride
    996 911 Turbo

BBS

My Ride
    EG2 / RMKS13

Originally posted by 88CRX
    what are they gonig on? and how much you got to spend?
    I'd like to spend between $2000 - $2500 for both rims and wheels. If possible, I'd also like to run a staggered setup on my 92 240SX

Originally posted by ~$eanith~
    Why does everyone have to be so hardcore and go drifting now?

With that aside, you'll have to let us know your budget. Theres a lot of very strong forged wheels that you could look at, but it all depends on what your willing to spend.
    I've actually been interested in learning to drift for a few years since I've watched drift videos from Japan on the net. I've only been able to afford an FR car last year coz I'm still going to school , and this summer I'll have enough money to start modding it. Drifting becoming popular now is kind of a mixed blessing: more available products being shipped to NA from Japan, more events, but also it's not as unique as it used to be.

Anyways, I've looked into a set of 5Zigen FN01R-C's which seem incredibly good value for the $. A nice step up would be the forged FN01R. I'm not all that into the looks, however.

By the way, thanks everyone for your input I like to shop around before forking over a few grand to a store Please feel free to put up more recommendations.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Why does everyone have to be so hardcore and go drifting now? .
    because its mAdd jDM y0!

My Ride
    89 Dodge Lancer Shelby

-SSR Competitions. 11.9 pounds per 16x7. These are them below.

-Konig Holes. I have to look into them further, but apparently they're also a very light rim.

There are also some interesting rims made by Volk, but you're basically paying 200 bucks more per rim for the same as above.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Chadxton; 03-22-2004 at 02:33 PM.
    Remember kids, when someone offers you rice, just say NO!
    Objects in mirror no longer matter.

My Ride
    EG2 / RMKS13

Originally posted by Chadxton
    -Konig Holes. I have to look into them further, but apparently they're also a very light rim.
    Yeah, actually the Konig Holes were actually my first choice if I were to run 17x7" all the way around. However, I'm trying to go for a staggered setup of 17x7" in the front and 17x8" in the rear, and Konig's website says that they only make 17x7"... BOO

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

Plus Konigs won't be a high quality wheel compared to volks, ssrs, or the other ones you listed imo
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”

My Ride
    89 Dodge Lancer Shelby

Plus Konigs won't be a high quality wheel compared to volks, ssrs, or the other ones you listed imo
    You think so? Haha, my buddy used to work for Konig in fab..I think it was fab anyways. I can shift the blame on him hahaha.

From doing my own research and such, I found that I really don't need anything bigger than a 16, because between a 16 and 17, tire weight pretty much stays the same while the rim automatically is heavier because you have more metal needed to make a bigger rim. Therefore, there's more unsprung weight.

If you're going Auto-X, yeah sure get a 17, but for drag or something, a 15 or 16 is all that's needed. You don't need the extra weight off a bigger rim if it's not necessary.
    Last edited by Chadxton; 03-22-2004 at 06:49 PM.

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

well, everyone has konigs. they are cheap. and i'm sure most konigs (if any) aren't forged.

My Ride
    89 Dodge Lancer Shelby

Judging from the weight of the holes makes me figure they're forged. Don't quote me on it, though. ~9½ lbs for a 15x7 is pretty freakin' light.

My Ride
    EG2 / RMKS13

You think so? Haha, my buddy used to work for Konig in fab..I think it was fab anyways. I can shift the blame on him hahaha.

From doing my own research and such, I found that I really don't need anything bigger than a 16, because between a 16 and 17, tire weight pretty much stays the same while the rim automatically is heavier because you have more metal needed to make a bigger rim. Therefore, there's more unsprung weight.

If you're going Auto-X, yeah sure get a 17, but for drag or something, a 15 or 16 is all that's needed. You don't need the extra weight off a bigger rim if it's not necessary.
    Actually, I'm trying to run my setup for drift, so I'd like lower profile tires, hence the 17's. Was thinking of going 18s but that's even more weight and more expensive, especially the rubber I'll be going through.

Judging from the weight of the holes makes me figure they're forged. Don't quote me on it, though. ~9½ lbs for a 15x7 is pretty freakin' light.
    I've done my research on the holes, and it looks like they're cast. Any forged rims would cost an arm and a leg... and a left testicle

My Ride
    01 Audi A4

I've been debating the same issue and here are some of the wheels I've been looking at.

Volk Racing TE37, 17x7.5, 15lbs, $709
    Gram Lights 57C,17x7.5, 18 lbs, $409
    SSR Competitions, 17x7, 13lbs, $472
    Motegi Trak Lights, 17x7, 14lbs, $386
    OZ Cronos, 17x7, 16.5 lbs, $309 (special @ tunerworks)

Only the OZ and the Gram Lights are cast, with the OZ being about the lightest cast wheel I've found.

By the way, anyone know who sells SSR Competitions in Canada?

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Speedtech sells SSR, they have access to the japanese only SSRs as well, pm shadowz
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    EG2 / RMKS13

Originally posted by 94gs_r
    I've been debating the same issue and here are some of the wheels I've been looking at.

Volk Racing TE37, 17x7.5, 15lbs, $709
    Gram Lights 57C,17x7.5, 18 lbs, $409
    SSR Competitions, 17x7, 13lbs, $472
    Motegi Trak Lights, 17x7, 14lbs, $386
    OZ Cronos, 17x7, 16.5 lbs, $309 (special @ tunerworks)

Only the OZ and the Gram Lights are cast, with the OZ being about the lightest cast wheel I've found.

By the way, anyone know who sells SSR Competitions in Canada?
    Thanks for the info, man By the way, if you look into the 5Zigen FN01R 16x7"s are only 11.6 lbs and are forged. I think the 16's are as big as they get for 4-blolt patterns, or so says their site. However, looks of the rims don't turn my crank :/ I haven't checked on the price, but I assume they're an arm and a leg.

Have you heard any reviews bout the SSR Competitions? I'd like to find out if they'd fit my 240 and if they have any staggered setups.

My Ride
    EG2 / RMKS13

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    Speedtech sells SSR, they have access to the japanese only SSRs as well, pm shadowz
    Thanks for the info, man. By the way, do you race at solo2? I think I saw your name on the CSCC boards when I visited a lil while ago.

My Ride
    89 Dodge Lancer Shelby

Originally posted by RMKS13
    I've done my research on the holes, and it looks like they're cast. Any forged rims would cost an arm and a leg... and a left testicle
    : OT : Ohh, dude. Don't say that last part.

Tirerack.com sells SSR's. Thing is, I live a half hour from the US border. And I have a ship-to address there. Comes in really handy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast