Quantcast
RECOVERED: C63 AMG - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: RECOVERED: C63 AMG

My Ride
    95B

Originally posted by gretz

Of course they weren't, then the items inside that were stolen wouldn't be insured

My Car was Stolen from the Garage in March 2014. I left the car running but I had the Key Fob with me.

Called CPS and BMW ended up tracking the car to Cochrane. Case was handed over to RCMP and then eventually the car was left at a Didsbury gas station when they ran out of gas. Without the Key Fob they can't open the gas tank (I was surprised that they didn't pry open it maybe they didn't do it because that may attract public). They ended up taking some items from the car ~ 2K worth.
    Allstate paid the towing , storing of vehicle at RCMP facility in Didsbury. Allstate also paid to have the vehicle checked for any damages. BMW found nothing during the inspection.
    When it came to the stolen items from the car I was asked to put a claim against my house insurance (As stated by others here).

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Originally posted by lasimmon

Stealing is ok if the owner is stupid?
    thats the whole point of insurance, 90% of the time its insurance for stupidity, i had a friend who was a claims agent, she told me one time she had a guy who was out hunting or whatever, put his shotgun in the cab of his truck and it went off and shredded his transmission, his truck was written off and he was paid out...
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    Exploded.

I thought the key fob detection prevents you from going far.

Originally posted by flipstah
    I thought the key fob detection prevents you from going far.
    In OEM applications, i haven't seen any yet. I can drive the wifes Q5 for however long the tank will let me.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Originally posted by spike98

In OEM applications, i haven't seen any yet. I can drive the wifes Q5 for however long the tank will let me.
    this blows my mind, massive oversight from the manufacturers, or maybe a way to get higher sales due to thefts and insurance claims.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Thaco
    this blows my mind, massive oversight from the manufacturers, or maybe a way to get higher sales due to thefts and insurance claims.
    It lets you drive until you shut off the engine (or run out of gas). It just blasts a warning on the dash saying key not detected. It's a liability issue for car manufacturers to just shut down the car because a key isn't detected. Example if key battery dies on the highway and your car shut down, that'd be kinda dangerous.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    95B

Not really. They don't want to stall the vehicle in the middle if the road because you don't have a key fob.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Left my fob on a desk while visiting someone, I was surprised I was out on driveway, unlocked door, started the car and ready to put it in reverse until friend ran out with my keys, at the same time my car started complaining fob missing.

I was stunted somehow I was even able to start my car with fob about 50ft and 4 walls away.

My Ride
    E90 335xi, ZX-10R

Can someone break this down for someone like me that has never owned a vehicle with a keyless ignition? Can you start your car on your driveway, lock your doors, bring your fob back inside your house and your car will stay locked? So a thief would have to then break into the car somehow? Can we assume that OP left the doors unlocked in this case?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

It's different for different manufacturers. In the OP's case since I owned 2 C63s, and this applies to all MB's with keyless go, you can only unlock the door keyless with the key within about 2 ft of the door. You can only start the car if the key is inside the car. Doesn't even work if the key is in the trunk. Once the car is started, you CAN'T lock the doors when you leave to warm your vehicle. Anyone can hop in and drive away.

You can lock the door in 2 ways though...

1. Lock from inside, open the window, dukes of hazards out, then close the window through the window.

2. Lock from inside, jump into back seat, manually unlock door, open door, exit, manually lock door, close door.

The flaw with this method is that you can't keyless unlock or button unlock the car when you get back. You have to pull out the mechanical key to unlock the car. Why? No clue, prob something to do with carjacking.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by ExtremeSi
    Can someone break this down for someone like me that has never owned a vehicle with a keyless ignition? Can you start your car on your driveway, lock your doors, bring your fob back inside your house and your car will stay locked? So a thief would have to then break into the car somehow? Can we assume that OP left the doors unlocked in this case?
    Exactly as you described for BMW 328X

It doesn't work for my GLK
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I think you can lock the door by using the physical key. It won't let you lock the door by pushing the button on the remote.

My Ride
    NC1

I don't know why they don't just let you lock it on the Benz. It is such a handy feature. Doing deliveries, ensures the vehicle is running, warm, etc. while you pop out and drop off an order.
    Really gonna miss my 328 for this feature.
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

So how was the OP's car stolen? It sounds like the OP isn't telling us everything because OP's story doesn't jive with what you guys are saying.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

2. Lock from inside, jump into back seat, manually unlock door, open door, exit, manually lock door, close door.
    I am not sure why you are jumping into the back seat.

I lock all the doors with the button. Open the driver's door. Exit the car. Close door. Manually lock and walk away.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Just don't lose the manual key!

The one redeeming feature of Ford's keypad is that you can lock and unlock the vehicle with or without the key. It's super ugly to look at otherwise.

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

Originally posted by benyl
    The one redeeming feature of Ford's keypad is that you can lock and unlock the vehicle with or without the key. It's super ugly to look at otherwise.
    Although Ford's push button start vehicles can lock and unlock from the handle or keyfob when the vehicle is running and the fob is with you. In fact every vehicle I have owned with a proximity key works like that.

That would drive me nuts if I had a benz.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Example if key battery dies on the highway and your car shut down, that'd be kinda dangerous.
    Worse yet if you live by train tracks

My Ride
    This and that.

My C63AMG didn't let me do it which I thought was fucking stupid. But on the M3, I can start the car, take the key fob out and lock it. That's how I leave it running if it's ever parked outside.

Originally posted by shakalaka
    My C63AMG didn't let me do it which I thought was fucking stupid. But on the M3, I can start the car, take the key fob out and lock it. That's how I leave it running if it's ever parked outside.
    Shit, I can do that on my 99 siera but it's only a feature that's come with time.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Originally posted by gretz

Of course they weren't, then the items inside that were stolen wouldn't be insured

Originally posted by spike98

Masked Bandit could verify but i dont feel that insurance can/would not cover a claim if the key were in the vehicle.

The security of the items taken are irrelevant to the fact that they were taken without the owners permission.

Originally posted by spikerS

theft is theft. keys in it or not. Its still insured.

MB has already stated this numerous times.

found on the co-operators site, may vary based on the policy, but i think this would be the most common

Myth: Auto insurance will not cover a stolen vehicle if a door was left unlocked or the keys left inside.
    Reality: The vehicle itself would normally be covered by Comprehensive, All Perils and Specified Perils auto policies; however, items inside the vehicle that go missing would usually be covered by your home insurance policy. If you do not have a home policy, you would not be compensated for the loss of items stolen from the vehicle.

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

I believe he actually addressed that once and he said they couldn't/shouldn't deny you a claim. Just cause the key is in your car doesn't mean it's not theft and free for the taking.

Edit: Found it

http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/help-sto...p;pagenumber=2

Just in case there was any doubt...lol

Coverage for the car is still valid even if the vehicle is running with the keys in it, no "dumbass" exclusion exists on this. Contents of the vehicle however are not part of the auto insurance claim anyway.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast