Quantcast
2017 Golf Thread - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Golf Thread

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by trieu
    Has anyone used any of the GPS apps available for the Apple watch? or is it better to just buy a regular golf watch/range finder?
    Considering even the apple quoted GPS battery life is 5 hours I bet it regularly doesn't last a round. When was the last time you could trust an apple battery life claim on any of their devices? No matter how good the apps are the battery is a dealbreaker for me, and imo too big and heavy to have on your wrist when swinging.

I use a Garmin S20 and its great, charge it once and use it all weekend. Also has some of the nerd level shot tracking features which I find interesting.

End of the day laser works better anyways and i keep one in my bag for when the GPS is obviously full of shit.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    V8s

Well, played twice this weekend. Had a great round yesterday 83 which was a new low round for me. Today was ok, but definitely not as good with an 89 (which is a little more normal for me). Invested in a new putter this year, and so far it's been paying off. Rarely 3-putting, and making lots of long ones to save par or bogey.

Either way, gave me a little hope that I can either break 80 this year or next.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Breaking 80 should be doable if you were around enough to golf. Basically no 3 putts, doubles and penalty strokes off the tee and you should be able to break 80.

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by npham
    Breaking 80 should be doable if you were around enough to golf. Basically no 3 putts, doubles and penalty strokes off the tee and you should be able to break 80.
    If only that was as easy as it sounds.

On a related note, I found this to be an interesting read:

http://www.golfwrx.com/447710/a-mode...o-breaking-80/
    Last edited by bjstare; 06-07-2017 at 07:31 AM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Sooooo. Is there one for breaking 100
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

I could break 80 if I hit 3 wood off the tee on every hole instead of driver.

But I am too proud.

Therefore, I will continue to shank drives and shoot 85.

My Ride
    2017 GTI

Originally posted by lasimmon
    I could break 80 if I hit 3 wood off the tee on every hole instead of driver.

But I am too proud.

Therefore, I will continue to shank drives and shoot 85.
    Tiger Woods? That's what Hank Haney says about Tiger in his book, The Big Miss, Tiger would have won more tournaments if he would have hit his 3 wood each time instead of his driver - but his ego wouldn't allow for someone else to be longer than him. So he would hit his driver and shank it a lot, but at least he would be longer...

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Work on your wedge game (if your putter is working) and that will lead to under 80. If you can get it to 15 feet from anywhere under 100 yards, you'll break 80.

Originally posted by cjblair

If only that was as easy as it sounds.

On a related note, I found this to be an interesting read:

http://www.golfwrx.com/447710/a-mode...o-breaking-80/

haha i've only done it once now last season, and the driver was definitely on for the most part. I've already got a handful of 81-83 this season, maybe one day i'll return to the promised land.
    Nam has yet to shoot under 80 with me all season either.

We finished 7/74 (gross) and 12/74 (net) in the club scotch ball tourney which was fun. That was with us playing the rules wrong (in a way that hurt our score by not playing both second shots properly).

For the most part both of our drivers were broken, we had a couple decent ones but that definitely hurt us a lot. The one eagle was very nice though.

Oh and yah I confirmed with the guy at pinebrook, you were right on the Akrapovic exhaust. You should go see the new ridiculous break kit he just put on. That is starting to be one sick GT-R

My Ride
    2005 F350

I've read somewhere that most pros don't average less than 15' from 100yds out. average for a scratch golfer was something closer to 30' from the pin at 100 yards.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

The top players are likely around 15ft but I'm sure there are top 300 in the world who average more than 30ft from 100-125 yards.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

^Probably accurate stats but we minions don't play greens stimp'd at 12-15 either. I guess my point was skip the driver on the range, and practice the short game and it'll get you to sub-80 quicker

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Originally posted by SkiBum5.0
    ^Probably accurate stats but we minions don't play greens stimp'd at 12-15 either. I guess my point was skip the driver on the range, and practice the short game and it'll get you to sub-80 quicker
    If you've follow the research, ie Mark Broadie, he's statistically proven that for amateurs, the long ball is more important that putting/short game. Assuming all facets of your game are equal, you are better off hitting straighter and longer drives to lower your scores.

My Ride
    V8s

This is well worth the read, bunch of old guy zingers in there. I definitely loled a couple times.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/...-golf-sayings/

My Ride
    GSR

Has anyone done a fitting with Simply Golf? Reviews? How do they come to Ted & Dave?

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by trieu View Post
    Has anyone done a fitting with Simply Golf? Reviews? How do they come to Ted & Dave?
    Pretty sure npham has had a couple shitty experiences with Ted & Dave. My wife's dad has gone to Ericksons a couple times and has been quite happy.

On a completely unrelated note, took this pic last week when I went to the course to practice for a bit. Talk about having the place to yourself. Putting/sand/chipping areas were just as busy.Name:  IMG_20170605_110822.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  618.0 KB

I've only ever been fitted for a driver once, and it was through Ted & Dave 5 years ago. Continue to use my i20 to this day, so suffice to say had a good experience with them.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Quote Originally Posted by trieu View Post
    Lyle does great club work, but I've never been fitted by him. What are you looking to buy? Like do you have brand/model in mind?

My Ride
    2005 F350

made the mistake of using my buddies TM M1 last weekend. man, it felt great! i was consistently straight with it at the range.

used it on the first hole and outdrove him with his own club, then tried it again on the 18th hole to see if it still worked for me after being a little tired and again, straight down the fairway.

I'm not interested in spending $650 on 1 club though. haha.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

Quote Originally Posted by SOAB View Post
    made the mistake of using my buddies TM M1 last weekend. man, it felt great! i was consistently straight with it at the range.

used it on the first hole and outdrove him with his own club, then tried it again on the 18th hole to see if it still worked for me after being a little tired and again, straight down the fairway.

I'm not interested in spending $650 on 1 club though. haha.
    Sometimes it is good being a lefty, I don't have to worry about this. Especially when you play with a baller like Nam who has a new top end driver/clubs every season
    I've had my i20 for a few season but just can't stomach the 600+ for a replacement such as the M1/2, 917 or Epic.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast