Quantcast
Calgary mayoral election October 16, 2017 - Page 26 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Who is getting your vote for Mayor?

Voters
210. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nenshi

94 44.76%
  • Bill Smith

96 45.71%
  • Chabot

7 3.33%
  • Other

13 6.19%
Page 26 of 44 FirstFirst ... 16 25 26 27 36 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary mayoral election October 16, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    3 councilors voted against. Are they also uninformed? I would assume they would be among the most informed on the project.
    Chabot and Sutherland voted against it for cost (and "scope creep"). Magliocca voted against it because he wanted it to go North.

Phase 1 stops 8 stations short North, and 5 going South, stopping at Sheppard which is 126 ave, not 162nd.
    Clumsy fingers.

Taking another look even if this is the most scrutinized project in history of Calgary will make the money disappear and cancel this project somehow??
    It will make the need to re-evaluate the funding happen again, because it is a different project scope.

They have the funding to do the most expensive part right now, to avoid the problems in the future. Basically build it right now to avoid problems in the future. Or in other words, don't let 7th Ave happen again. Because that's effectively what people are doing when they say re-evaluate and look at extending it elsewhere to use the money available. It's the same arguments that caused the tunnel for the first LRT to be scrapped in favor of the much cheaper at-grade option, and you could just do it later. Here we are many, many extensions later, but no closer to solving that problem.

It will be much easier to budget in or get funding for station extensions south and north hundreds of millions at a time than it will be to get over a billion to do a tunnel again.

Last I heard the construction was slated to start in 2020.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by KLCC View Post
    My concern for that is, why North side got shafted with only one station standing, where south side got more station allocated. Clearly, there is more ridership coming from North side heading to DT, than the other way around.
    Because the maintenance facility for the Green Line was chosen to be at Shepard. And it was easier to go SE because up until they decided to go with a tunnel to 16th Ave there was never any actual plan for how to send the train North, only the route (and that was only after scrapping the stupid Nose Creek route and going up Centre St.).

Also because the councilor for the North didn't fight for it, while the councilor in the SE fought really hard for it.

How Sean Chu lost the Green Line

If Bill can deliver a promise that re-evaluating the green line and change the current design (create more ridership coming from North), it'll be a shoo-in for this election for him.
    Then he'd be losing votes from people in the SE and creating an 'enemy' on council with Keating.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 12:39 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by dj_patm View Post
    He's literally running on "I'm not Nenshi" and is avoiding answering anything or giving any real plans.
    He literally used this incumbent know more than I do so I can't really answer this until you get me in there.

But lower taxes!

If Bill can deliver a promise that re-evaluating the green line and change the current design (create more ridership coming from North), it'll be a shoo-in for this election for him.
    I can't believe this is actually getting traction. This whole re-evaluate thing will just cost more time and jobs and start the whole provincial and federal red tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
    3 councilors voted against. Are they also uninformed? I would assume they would be among the most informed on the project. Phase 1 stops 8 stations short North, and 5 going South, stopping at Sheppard which is 126 ave, not 162nd. Taking another look even if this is the most scrutinized project in history of Calgary will make the money disappear and cancel this project somehow?? Last I heard the construction was slated to start in 2020.
    They are not uninformed. They just got shafted by this plan and hurt their re-election this year.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 10-11-2017 at 12:45 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Obviously you have access to who voted for which candidate in the poll, just curious if there's any brand new accounts that voted?
    I don't have access to the data. At least, I don't know how to access it? Damn forum upgrade haha.

My concern for that is, why North side got shafted with only one station standing, where south side got more station allocated. Clearly, there is more ridership coming from North side heading to DT, than the other way around.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    How is it clear that more people travel in from the north? Do you have any stats? I think the split was, half the budget can go south of downtown, half can go north of downtown. Seems to make sense. Too bad that the half of the budget to build the north has, just makes a tunnel
    Geographically speaking, the south is twice the size of the north. I had some population split numbers years ago, can't seem to find it, but I had it pegged at something like 38% north and 62% south. So it makes sense that it's favoring the south first.

We should've never built WestLRT, that money should've been invested in the green line. The usage stats for WestLRT is depressing. Thanks Bronco haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    We should've never built WestLRT, that money should've been invested in the green line. The usage stats for WestLRT is depressing. Thanks Bronco haha.
    But dude had to cash in from insider info.

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Whats this talk on Reddit about Bill Smiths assets being repo'd and his failed businesses? Has that been verified?

It's depressing that future elections at all levels will basically be driven by what idiots see on FB without fact checking. Stupid people with social media will lead to the failure of democracy.
    Last edited by dj_patm; 10-11-2017 at 01:01 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Whats this talk on Reddit about Bill Smiths assets being repo'd and his failed businesses? Has that been verified?

It's depressing that future elections at all levels will basically be driven by what idiots see on FB without fact checking. Stupid people with social media will lead to the failure of democracy.
    I guess you can spin it that way if you just read the headlines? Or if you're a Nenshi supporter trying to drum up support haha.

https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/402...14#post4686614
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

The reddit post rebukes his claims, that's what I'm getting at. I hate how much speculation there is in this election.

As for being a Nenshi supporter, I don't care if Nenshi wins or loses, that's fine. But voting for a candidate that claims transparency but refuses to be up front or honest about literally anything is about as stupid as it gets, which judging by my FB feed is exactly what the conservative "libtard, snowflake" spouting morons will do.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Advanced voting wait time this past weekend.... 5 minutes

Election day voting 4 years ago... 2 hours +

People! Believe the advanced voting is still on today, if you can make it I'd highly recommend it.
    http://www.calgary.ca/election/Pages...-stations.aspx

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

The reddit post rebukes his claims, that's what I'm getting at. I hate how much speculation there is in this election.

As for being a Nenshi supporter, I don't care if Nenshi wins or loses, that's fine. But voting for a candidate that claims transparency but refuses to be up front or honest about literally anything is about as stupid as it gets, which judging by my FB feed is exactly what the conservative "libtard, snowflake" spouting morons will do.
    I wish I could read reddit to see what they're talking about, but I don't have the time nor patience to sift through anything in /r/Calgary especially when it comes to local politics. It's like anyone not a fan of Nenshi is a racist uneducated idiot. Kinda funny the parallels it draws with the US election last year.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I wish I could read reddit to see what they're talking about, but I don't have the time nor patience to sift through anything in /r/Calgary especially when it comes to local politics. It's like anyone not a fan of Nenshi is a racist uneducated idiot. Kinda funny the parallels it draws with the US election last year.
    A similar thing happened in the UK with Brexit.
    When people in office are just not listening, making some really dumb decisions and just plain out refuse to take on board what the needs of the public are. People get fed up shift to the right. When they lose they go on and on about trying to figure out why they lost like its some sort of exotic rocket science.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by CompletelyNumb View Post
    There was some on Twitter. By some, I mean less racial slurs than you'll here in one game of call of duty online.

Just like all of Nenshi's claims, completely exaggerated.
    Quote Originally Posted by kenny View Post
    http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...n-mayoral-race

yet in the video he appeals to the Pakistani community to "vote for diversity". Some will argue that's open to interpretation, but it's pretty clear to me he is basically saying vote for me because I am the only one that isn't white.
    Stumbled on this gem from Nenshi.

My Ride
    Ford F150

Cliff notes from a source: he split his firm into a new company, new bank accounts, new office, etc. The loan repayment auto-debit wasn't updated to the new bank account, because he delegated the financials to an employee who forgot. The old office remained in the hands of his previous partner and employees, who were supposed to forward all mail and calls that slipped through the cracks. That apparently never happened. RBC tried to contact him at the old office. Collections tried the old office. Finally they got a judgement, bailiff went to the old office. Old office told them where to find the new office. When they came knocking, he wrote them a cheque for the full balance owing.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by CompletelyNumb View Post
    Cliff notes from a source: he split his firm into a new company, new bank accounts, new office, etc. The loan repayment auto-debit wasn't updated to the new bank account, because he delegated the financials to an employee who forgot. The old office remained in the hands of his previous partner and employees, who were supposed to forward all mail and calls that slipped through the cracks. That apparently never happened. RBC tried to contact him at the old office. Collections tried the old office. Finally they got a judgement, bailiff went to the old office. Old office told them where to find the new office. When they came knocking, he wrote them a cheque for the full balance owing.
    It not as big deal as it should be but just dirty tactics. Just like Smith is broadcasting Nenshi's Uber ride in Boston every 15mins on Global in his ad campaign.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Honestly, I see more people on there complaining about this, then people actually saying such things. And the ones complaining about it are the ones just getting downvoted, and just assume it's people downvoting because they aren't Nenshi fans, and not because they are just talking like complete assholes.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Honestly, I see more people on there complaining about this, then people actually saying such things. And the ones complaining about it are the ones just getting downvoted, and just assume it's people downvoting because they aren't Nenshi fans, and not because they are just talking like complete assholes.
    Maybe it's changed a bit? Who knows, it's the whole reason why I can't read anything Calgary related on reddit not being a Nenshi fan before it was cool not to be a Nenshi fan. Same goes on CP, just have to ignore all the politics talk, which was a little tough during the arena debate.

My Ride
    Bicycle

http://www.cbc.ca/1.4349741

Bill Smith sued for $2.2m in 2010.

Is someone just digging this shit up now?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Is someone just digging this shit up now?
    Probably information that's been sat on for awhile. Better for Nenshi and friends to release this kind of stuff in the days leading up to the election, rather than weeks/months before.

Stumbled on this gem from Nenshi.

Nenshi just retweeted it, he was not the original tweeter. Tweeting, that word just sounds dumb.
    Will fuck off, again.

Page 26 of 44 FirstFirst ... 16 25 26 27 36 ... LastLast