Quantcast
Anybody live in Bragg Creek/Redwood Meadows - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anybody live in Bragg Creek/Redwood Meadows

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

Default Anybody live in Bragg Creek/Redwood Meadows

Does anybody live out in the Bragg Creek area? I've just recently been looking at a few houses in this area and like what I see. I love the huge lot sizes/privacy larger houses under 500K, etc.

I hope to soon be working from home FT, but my wife would have to still travel into Calgary for work, but would have a flexible schedule.

We have two children 6 and 4.

I realize this area obviously isn't for everybody, but I'm looking for opinions from people who live or have lived here. What about the school? Crime/Safe Neighborhood?

I am completely clueless about this area, so looking for enlightenment. I love the area/houses, but not sure it's overly practical, especially w/children.

My Ride
    2015 Sierra All Terrain 2009 G8 GT

Prices are cheaper in Redwood Meadows due to you are buying on leased land you do not own the lot.

39 years left on the leases. and no agrement on a renewll as of yet.
    all info from
    http://www.redwoodmeadows.ab.ca/inde...d=31&Itemid=54

In the early 1970's, the land upon which Redwood Meadows is developed was leased to Sarcee Developments Ltd. (SDL), a wholly owned Tsuu T'ina company. The Head Lease, 75 years in duration, commenced in 1974 and will terminate in 2049 (unless there is a lease renewal). SDL sub-leases individual lots to the residents, which will also terminate in 2049.
    Last edited by Serria1; 03-26-2010 at 06:29 PM.

My Ride
    NOYB.

School is decent. As for crime, there are a lot of people who don't bother locking their doors even in this day and age, but the smart ones have started being serious about it. I know there's been a rash of car prowlings and thefts from outside homes in Redwood recently, suspected to be the fine outstanding juveniles of the local area. In all seriousness, you have more to worry about wildlife than you do violent criminal activity. Seeing bears, lynx/bobcat/etc are not uncommon and the occasional moose or two wander through a lot. There are approximately 500,000 deer that live and parade through the area at all hours of the day and night.

Amenities like television and internet are not like in the city. Shaw Cable hasn't discovered that Bragg Creek exists yet, and TELUS and other DSL providers insist that there is no market for broadband in the Bragg area. Satellite TV is your best choice and a company called Davinci Broadband (www.davincibb.net) provides a wireless internet (not wi-fi but 2.4GHz fixed wireless modems) that is decently fast and cost-effective. In Redwood Meadows, there is a "cable company" that has about 20 channels of mediocre quality and also offers cable internet that only sucks half the time. (The other half, it's down.)

Every business in Bragg Creek except the bars pack it in by 9pm. The closest 24hr anything is the Petro-Can on highway 1 at highway 22.

In the hamlet, there is no water system and the river's untreated water is unsafe to drink. Water is trucked in daily and sewage trucked out. There is a water treatment plant about to be built, but it's still a long way off. Outside the hamlet, well water is perfectly fine.

The county (which runs the hamlet of Bragg Creek and its surroundings) seems to forget about the area after each snowfall until a week or two has passed. You will probably end up beating your own path out to the highway more often than not.

Rockyview special constables (photo radar/laser) and Alberta Sheriffs LOVE the area and are just about guaranteed to be out every weekend to do some revenue gener--I mean, policing. RCMP come from Cochrane and frequently are so busy with Cochrane and Morley that they don't have time to do any regular patrols in Bragg.

I don't mean to dissuade you with that - the area is beautiful and problems are few and far between. It's a great place for a family.

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

Originally posted by Serria1
    Prices are cheaper in Redwood Meadows due to you are buying on leased land you do not own the lot.

39 years left on the leases. and no agrement on a renewll as of yet.
    all info from
    http://www.redwoodmeadows.ab.ca/inde...&Itemid=54

In the early 1970's, the land upon which Redwood Meadows is developed was leased to Sarcee Developments Ltd. (SDL), a wholly owned Tsuu T'ina company. The Head Lease, 75 years in duration, commenced in 1974 and will terminate in 2049 (unless there is a lease renewal). SDL sub-leases individual lots to the residents, which will also terminate in 2049.
    I wasn't aware of this. Would this affect a home's resale value? Most likely we would only be in the house for under 8 years, so still plenty of time left on the lease...

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

well, it seems like you buy for a little cheaper in Redwood and sell for a little cheaper. Doesn't really mean you will lose any money. I grew up in Bragg Creek and I think it is a great place to live. Negatives would be poor snow/ice road conditions at times and horrible traffic on highway 8.

My Ride
    CBR 929

Originally posted by project240

I wasn't aware of this. Would this affect a home's resale value? Most likely we would only be in the house for under 8 years, so still plenty of time left on the lease...
    It may, as well some banks may choose to not finance a home on leased land(especially when it is leased from the tribe.)

[url]

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

Obviously the leased land concerns me a bit. I spent some time and read through the agreement and as much more info as I could find.

Now assuming all houses/lots appreciate in value over time would this be different because you don't actually own the land. I just don't want to buy a house and then 10 years down the road go to sell and find out it's now worth less (if that makes sense).

I'd actually be curious to find out what homes in the area sold for 5-10 years ago.

We're going to go for a drive on Monday and check some things out.

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

Originally posted by Jay911

In the hamlet, there is no water system and the river's untreated water is unsafe to drink.

What about with an osmosis or similar filter system?

Thanks for all the info. Obviously quite a few things to consider, but looking forward to finding out as much as I can.

My Ride
    has three pedals.

I didn't know it was leased either, and we all know how swell the Tsuu T'ina are at negotiating contracts and agreements

Redwood Meadows is a great community for a family. Lots of kids around, and large treed lots. You still have neighbours on all sides of you, as in the city, but more spread out and the scenery is great - mostly 1/4 acre lots or so.

The leased land could potentially be an issue, but it does make things more affordable as it really is the only place in the area to find anything under $500K you would actually want to live in.

The hamlet itself does have water issues, as stated above, but otherwise a decent choice with typical lot sizes similar to Redwood and slightly bigger - you do own your land here however.

West Bragg and South Bragg are somewhat different. Here you will find acreage style homes, with a minimum of 2 acres. Most "developments" are 2 to 4 acre parcels, with many other homes having even more space, but a price tag to match. As you apparently have a family, consider that anything south of Hwy 22/66 (South Bragg area) is actually Foothills MD versus Rockyview, and that means there is no bus service to the local school so you would need to drive your kids, or they bus to Millarville or Red Deer Lake schools. South Bragg is a beautiful area, but prices are slightly lower than West Bragg/Wintergreen because of this issue.

Otherwise an absolutely beautiful area, lots of wildlife, etc. Almost everyone in the area commutes to Calgary. From West Bragg, it is about 40 minutes to downtown and area using Hwy 8 or even Hwy 1.

My Ride
    NOYB.

Originally posted by project240
    What about with an osmosis or similar filter system?
    I'm not sure. I don't live in the actual hamlet, so I have a well that is OK. All the businesses truck in water daily.

My Ride
    1997 BMW 328i Convertible

Default Wintergreen

There are a few homes for sale in Wintergreen which is 5 minutes from the Bragg Creek town center. Wintergreen is a two acre subdivision on a water co-op and provides the best of both worlds. Feels like country living on treed lots but with great access to clean water and high speed wireless internet services provided by Xplornet.

I live in Redwood Meadows - moved here from Calgary 2 years ago. We were concerned about the land lease situation too (I am from Ontario and have seen these things go badly). We did our research and spoke to the lawyer who lives out here - Linda Anderson. She was able to shed light on the situation. In actual fact - Redwood Meadows is negotiating a new 99 year lease at the present time - have been for a number of years. Once that is signed I am told our property values will increase dramatically.
    All of the other posts here have linked Bragg Creek to Redwood Meadows. The two places have no relation to each other, besides location. Redwood Meadows is a little town. We have our own full fire department, a bylaw office and our own council. We have our own water supply (no we are not on wells and it doesn't come on a truck!) and to be honest it is the best tasting water we have ever had straight fromt he tap! We got rid of the bottled water we spent thousands on in Calgary.
    I am told the schools are great - the kids catch the bus right at the corner.
    The speed limit is 30 kms and that ensures that there isn't a fear of our kids and pets being mowed down.
    It's a little like Mayberry here - everyone talks to you - neighbors get together over a campfire - we help each other out -
    Things like internet can be challenging - (I work from home) but with the right provider it can work out!
    There are some stipulations about living here - you need premission to cut down trees - and there are specific colours you must use to paint your house. That is it - as far as not owning the land - a portion of our taxes go to a fund that will buy our home if the band decides not to renew - but the people in the know believe that a renewal in imminent.
    Redwood is a little piece of heaven - the drive doesn't bother us - 16 minutes to COP from our home - in the winter the roads out here are maintained better than any road in Calgary.
    I hope you consider Redwood Meadows -

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Hey,

We're looking at a couple of properties in Redwood Meadows right now. What are the downsides currently? Another question I have, is how does Tsuu Tina get paid? It's not clear what the leasing arrangement is.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

Read through the lease information. Lots of info here.

http://www.redwoodmeadows.ab.ca/

My Ride
    Ford Escape

Hello!

Any updates on this? Last post was 7 years ago and I almost have the same questions than original poster. I live in the NW, I really like it but boy my backyard is tiny and my neighbours very close!

I am also looking to work from home within 6 months but hubby would have to commute to the beltline.

I don't think the community has been able to extend the lease yet which I don't care really since I am probably looking at a house for 5 years but selling it after that is another story. I saw really nicest houses being sold in Redwood Meadows right now and a) wonder how long it takes to sell your house and b) how much can you sell it for? Can you technically make money?

Also wondering about flood and home insurance.

Anyway tons of questions and glad I was finally able to join this forum :-))

My Ride
    is faster than yours

I live between Bragg Creek and Millarville off of Highway 762 and have a bunch of friends that live in Bragg or Redwood. House prices are down a bit but things generally move fairly slow out here...which is great for buying but slow for selling.

Some people living in Bragg or Redwood are worried about their property prices when the Springfield dam goes in. Honestly, the dam won't really change the flood events in the Bragg/Redwood area versus no dam but it seems like the perception is property will be worth less after it goes in. So with that in mind, making money could be tough.

Are you planning on not staying out here long? It is a lifestyle change coming out here so I wouldn't do it as a shorter term thing looking to make money. Though living in Bragg or Redwood is more like city living compared to my place.
    Last edited by never; 06-10-2017 at 03:00 PM.

My Ride
    Ford Escape

Quote Originally Posted by never View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I live between Bragg Creek and Millarville off of Highway 762 and have a bunch of friends that live in Bragg or Redwood. House prices are down a bit but things generally move fairly slow out here...which is great for buying but slow for selling.

Some people living in Bragg or Redwood are worried about their property prices when the Springfield dam goes in. Honestly, the dam won't really change the flood events in the Bragg/Redwood area versus no dam but it seems like the perception is property will be worth less after it goes in. So with that in mind, making money could be tough.

Are you planning on not staying out here long? It is a lifestyle change coming out here so I wouldn't do it as a shorter term thing looking to make money. Though living in Bragg or Redwood is more like city living compared to my place.
    Thank you for your feedback! I didn't know about the dam, is it going to look ugly making the houses looking even worse?

I am probably looking to stay 3-5 years, we usually move every 3/5 years for work so looking to make money in the short term. We are from TO and I know things are very different out there When you say lifestyle change, is this because it's a bit far from the city and remote?

My Ride
    is faster than yours

It's nothing visual about the dam, it's just the lack of potential future flood protection.

Most people I know out here don't move here for a short time. Those that do move back to the city generally do because of a bigger life change.

And most properties out here move fairly slow though the cheaper stuff ($700k and less) moves quicker. And Redwood stuff is generally cheaper because of the perception about FN lands and the lease. If you're planning on moving in 3-5 years, I wouldn't expect to make money and you could be sitting on something for a while. If you do make money, then it will be a pleasant surprise.

And if you want more space and your neighbors are too close, I wouldn't bother with Redwood or some parts right in Bragg...the yards aren't that big and no one has fences so all of your neighbors are right there. But it's good if you want a relaxed community feel.

My Ride
    Ford Escape

Quote Originally Posted by never View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's nothing visual about the dam, it's just the lack of potential future flood protection.

Most people I know out here don't move here for a short time. Those that do move back to the city generally do because of a bigger life change.

And most properties out here move fairly slow though the cheaper stuff ($700k and less) moves quicker. And Redwood stuff is generally cheaper because of the perception about FN lands and the lease. If you're planning on moving in 3-5 years, I wouldn't expect to make money and you could be sitting on something for a while. If you do make money, then it will be a pleasant surprise.

And if you want more space and your neighbors are too close, I wouldn't bother with Redwood or some parts right in Bragg...the yards aren't that big and no one has fences so all of your neighbors are right there. But it's good if you want a relaxed community feel.
    Thanks so much for your feedback! I guess we won't be looking at moving there We were indeed looking at the cheaper stuff ($500-$600K range and houses are quite nice!) but like you said, we don't want to have to wait for 5 months before selling our house so...! I felt that the yards were still much larger than ours!!! I have houses everywhere, my house was built in 1996. Still sounds better than newer neighbourhoods but I guess I should be looking at houses that were built in 1960-1970 next. We used to rent a house in the SW that was from the 70's and the yard was quite nice. Not huge ofc but still nice.

I am not in the mood of spending more than $650K for a house in YYC. If I was still in TO, maybe but here, I feel that you just never know with the economy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast